What is it? CL

Very very common here in my area. A treat to use.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

they are wrapped after innoculation with something to make silage. the mookers love the stuff.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ I was going to suggest that it is popular with any farmer that puts up more than a few hundred squares a year. I think they self propelled ones are over $100,000. My regular hay farmer bought a new one last year. It was about 20 years old or more and had been sitting in a barn with broken out windows. A little paint and sweeping out of the glass any he had a newer than his old one bale wagon. Under 10,000 for a good used machine with relatively low hours. The problem that the farmers have here is that the old barns were not built high enough to tip a full stack. Some guys have to skip the last row or two because they stack is too tall when tipped. Of course farmers that built barns in anticipation of the automatic bale wagon have no issues. They can also stack the round bales 3 bales tall inside the barn.

The old farms on my mother's side did not have hay storage like that. I remember playing in the lofts tossing I guess Timothy squares about. It was eastern Indiana so it definitely was not Bermuda. My dad tells tales of helping gather hay when he was a kid so that was 70+ years ago. Pitch forks, hay wagon and people stomping on the stacks to get more on the wagon. Internal combustion powered machinery has definitely reduced a lot of human labor. Kind of like electricity in a wood shop.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I lookied through an old photo album, and I have to take back part of

Same here. The slat back was usually at a slight angle too, leaning towards the back or away from the trailer. The bailer had a long shoot and there was usually a slight incline up to the trailer. The bales would be pushed along at the same rate as bales were being made by the bailer. Standing on the wagon, grab the bale, stack it on the trailer and turn around, repeat... If you were good, you could get the bales stacked on a trailer like this 6 to 7 tiers high and not have any fall off before reaching the barn :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The summer was hot and dry. The rains hit just as the farmers were trying to harvest/salvage what little grew...

The ground should be partial frozen and snow covered right now. Nothing is frozen, no snow, just rain and mud.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Funny you would say that. My first thought was that it looked strangely like the back of a Kane Dead Reckoning Computer my dad had when I was a kid. Maybe this is some sort of elementary navigation device? Here is a link to the Kane DR Computer, showing the back.

humunculus

RH, how about a close up of the text? It looks like it says "2/5 de m/m par haute", which is technically nonsensical, directly translating from french to say "2/5 of m/m by high", but it looks like there's some additional letter(s) at the end of 'haute'.

I wonder if it originally had some sort of slider over the top of it with a hairline that made a horizontal bar across the numbers. That would allow someone to set the vertical scale at some value, then look across to the horizontal scale (as determined by the pointer) to make some sort of adjustment.

RH, closeups of the sides also, please? To see if there are any scratches or wear marks?

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

... snip

Wow, had no idea they had gotten so expensive. Dad's is not self-propelled, it is a 2-wide by 4-high per level, seven level (56 bales per load) wagon. It was well over 35 years ago that he got it

We never had to stack our hay in barns. Colorado is dry enough that outside stacking is not an issue.

That's a fact

Mark & Juanita

864 looks like a toaster. The weighted bottom would be so an arm could hold a piece of toast over a stove or a flask over a gas flame. The lower thumbscrew would be to slide it to a working height. The upper thumbscrew would be for small adjustments so that in one minute you would get the required heating.
Reply to
Doghouse

Hi riverman,

I'm no expert with the French language, but what you posted is more-or-less what I came up with too ("2/5 of m/m by high"). I messed around for a while searching on this with different combinations and came up with nothing. Here are the translations I came up with:

de = of; from par = a; per; by haute = high; height

The scales/grid are almost too simple to be of much use, unless you were suppose to lay something over top of them. It would be interesting to know if they are accurate to any common units like mm.

I would be interested in seeing a side view of the slide too and to know how easy the slide moves (like will it stay put in one place once moved, or can it just as easily flop around). It didn't look like the slide lined up with the grid scale in any sort of way to the images.

Another thought too, maybe the item came from a French speaking area of Canada? It kinda has a wood/logging scale tool look to me (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I think the last letter is a "U", the closest shot of this text that I have was the link on my site, same as this one:

I wonder if it originally had some sort of slider over the top of it

The slider idea sounds like a good possibility. I took the photos of this tool at an auction and didn't take any of the sides, just the front and back. It was in a box lot and they had no description of it. I've been doing some searching on it but haven't had any luck yet.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Massey-Ferguson rig, vintage 1969:

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's certainly not the way silage is made around here!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hmm, another clue/observation: it looks like the distance that the little side bar travels (from the bottom to the top of the chart) is the same physical distance as the 'pointer' sweeps across the top of the tool: I bet its just an L-shaped piece of metal, not something geared.

I wonder if we are looking at it wrong: the little bar isn't the handle...its a lever. And the pointer is the handle: when the 'pointer' is furthest to the left ('10'), then 2/5 of 10 is 4, and the little side bar is at the 40. If we read that as 4.0 rather than 40, then the position of the side bar always corresponds to 2/5 of the position of the 'pointer'.

My guess is that there WAS some sort of cover that was connected to the side bar. The user slid the 'pointer' to some position that corresponded to something, and the side bar moved the cover (with a crosshair?) to give a calibration of some sort.

Hmmm, I hate mysteries like this.

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

I wonder if the word isn't "hauteur"?

This link suggests a measurement of a fish's body height.

Perhaps it's some sort of gauge for determining whether a fish is legal to keep.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hi Rob,

I suspected that was your only pictures at this time. Thanks for updating us on that.

I searched for anything related to scaling lumber that might look like this and didn't find anything of interest. Of course I've played out a bunch of other ideas too :)

It looks/feels like something from around 1900 or maybe even earlier, but I have no basis for that.

I kinda like Riverman's idea that there was something that slid over the top of the scale/grid area and this engaged with the slide on the side. The scale on the back side though has a slight angle to the horizontal lines. Not sure if that is significant or not.

"m/m" is also an abbreviation for "by mass," used in chemistry and pharmacology to describe the concentration of a substance in a mixture or solution. 2% m/m means that the mass of the substance is 2% of the total mass of the solution or mixture.

Maybe that bit of trivia will help somebody else and maybe not...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Here is the largest photo that I have that shows the end of the word, doesn't appear to be an R after the U, clicking on the image should make it bigger:

a larger shot of the other side:

needle was spring returned to the zero position, and it took light pressure on the small rod to move it. The photos that are on my site were cleaned up, especially the front side; the pictures on the links above are unmodified, notice the dark dots in the graph and by the numbers, I don't think they're meaningful, but someone was asking about wear marks so I thought they might want to see the unaltered photos.

I've got a couple emails that I plan to send to some tool collectors in the next day or two concerning this tool, hopefully one of them will recognize it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

notice the dark dots in the graph and by the numbers, I don't

Could the scale on the side be a calibration chart, similar to that used on RF components today?

Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl