What is it? CCXXVII

Might be another difficult set this week:

R.H.
1209 Multi-tool, though the question may be... Is it a special-purpose multi-tool, and, if so, what special purpose?

1210 Library newspaper holder. Back in the time when people went to libraries to read, and newspapers were printed on paper, this kind of holder was clamped to the spine of a newspaper, and several newspapers were hung by the clamp on a notched rack.

1211 Fire extinguisher.

1213 Puzzle lock.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1209. Looks like a multiplier but I'm not sure which one. 1211. Wheeled fire extinguisher. Always see them on WWII movies. 1213. I think it's a puzzle. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

Perhaps meant for climbers who want to haul as little weight as possible up the mountain.

Reply to
DGDevin

1209 -- Superficially, this looks like a beautiful (if somewhat impractical) multi-tool, a limited-edition yuppie leatherman or similar. However, I'll instead guess some sort of sewing machine or similar device, perhaps to put hems on the edges of cloth in one operation. 1210 -- Clamp for bookbinding? Clamp for broom making? I'll guess broom making ahead of bookbinding for this. 1211 -- Early fire extinguisher, presumably of the type that contained a smallish vial of acid and a large quantity of water with a base (baking soda or lime or lye or whatever) dissolved. In use, the vial was broken or upset, the two mixed, and the generated carbon dioxide pressurized the canister and sent a stream of the solution out the hose and nozzle. On this particular model, the instructions seem to say "Lower handle to [something]" and "push down hard on cap", which presumably is what releases the acid.

The hose and nozzle appear to be missing.

1212 -- Sleigh runner shaper? 1213 -- I believe this to be a padlock with one of the keys broken and the other locked in the hasp. Presumably, it's some sort of a puzzle where the goal is to free the trapped key, and the lock operates without recourse to the usual turning of the key by some hidden means. 1214 -- I'm sure it's ideally suited to do the things that it does, which are intuitively obvious and require no further explanation here. Or something like that.

Now to see other people's guesses.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson
1209. Looks like a multiplier but I'm not sure which one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 1209 Might be x pi. Since it appears to have a blade, could be pie divider. 1213 A way to store a spare key so you ALWAYS know where to look for it. Actually, this lock might open if the broken piece were inserted, and pushed in firmly by the other part. Maybe with a little wiggling. 1214 Looks like a combination caliper/level/depth gauge for woodworking.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

looks like the fire extinguishers that I used to see all over NAS JAX when I was a kid, but I recall them being taller than 48 inches--of course was a lot smaller then so maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me. Occasionally you'll see one in an airport or hangar scene in an old movie as well.

Reply to
J. Clarke

1209 Flip-knife/multi-tool. 1210 Library newspaper holder. 1211 Fire engine for towns with a small budget. 1212 Staple remover. 1213 Confirmed via Google Images with the keywords: Puzzles lock (or: puzzle lock) 1214 Level with a scribe stylus and an adjustable stop.

--Dogstar

Reply to
Dogstar

Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1209) It appears to be, at least in part, a folding knife.

I'm not sure whether the rest of it is some form of combination tool, or forms some kind of hand guard for fighting. I hope that you'll post a photo of it unfolded in the answers section.

1210) This looks like a device designed to stretch fabrics while they are drying. From the size, I would think that it might be for something like a shawl, but I'm not sure. 1211) Some form of fire extinguisher -- and I think that I see a matching colored spot under it to show where it should be replaced when it is used or recharged. 1212) Perhaps part of a plow? (Assuming that it is steel or cast iron, not wood.) 1213) It would appear to be a puzzle, with the object being to remove the key from the hasp of the lock.

I think that it is done by first shoving in the broken shank of the other key, then using the head part to turn it, and finally hooking the shank by the small hole near the broken end (from the other side, where the hole lines up with a groove, giving access.)

I think that the head of the captive key looks a little strange, and perhaps part of it unfolds to form a hook to engage the hole for extracting the broken shank of the key. This would allow the puzzle to be worked without having to bring in something else, such as an unfolded paper clip to extract the broken key shank.

1214) Perhaps to control the overlap during the construction of something like a lap-strake boat hull.

Is there a level vial below the oval hole in the brass plate shown in the first view?

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You mean sponge diving is different than muff diving?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

1211 Industrial mobile fire extinguisher. These were common in freight sheds, and steamship wharves well into the 1950s.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

again some silly guesses from germany. this week a little late, and i promise not having read the other postings!

1209 some kind of multi tool? can opener? 1210 used in my local café to hold newspapers 1211 red, must be a fire extinguisher 1212 no idea 1213 lock for broken hearts? 1214 tool for woodworking? maybee used to mark some distance along the edge of a board

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

Don, just in case you didn't find this yet:

answer your multi-tool questions :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

"R.H." wrote: One of the rules for this puzzle is that no external tools are allowed, just

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ According to your description, then, it must be possible to insert the broken key end, unlock the lock, and then remove the broken kep part without any tools. This is how I would do it, and I assume that is the way they must have done it: Remove one or more of the pin tumblers from the lock, and cut a key that works by being inserted part way. That way you have something to hold on to for opening the lock and for removing the key.

I think I'll make one.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

One photo of it shows the broken key has a key ring. It may be possible to use the key ring as an extractor.

would suggest removing the keyring from the head of the broken key and attaching it to the other part of the broken key (through the hole). Then insert the broken key into the lock and turn to open the lock, then pull the broken key piece out with the key ring. However, the review referenced above says there are three puzzles, and that's only two.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

Thanks! I like the look of it -- but I still prefer my Gerber "switchblade" pliers. One flick of the wrist and the pliers section is extended.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm not going to give the answer for this puzzle, but I will say that partially inserting the key is not the solution. Once it's been opened, there are five moves necessary to get it back to it's original state.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The instructions also say that using the wire key ring to solve the puzzle is not allowed, I didn't mention that because I left it out of my photo.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

One more for this week, someone sent me a photo of a piece of hardware that he found in Arizona, below is his description along with a link to the image:

I found several of these objects in a pile on my property. I have no idea what it is for. It is 2 9/19" (65MM) long, 9/32" diameter (7MM), Bullet shaped on one end. The other end is squared and tapered, with a 1/16" hole through it. It has a machined surface, as if it was made on a lathe.

These items where found in a desert area near a few bent nails and a couple of torched-off carriage bolts. I live in a semi-rural area (3.3 acre lots), that used to be a ranch. They are almost as hard as a file, so I don't think they are an attaching hardware, as they would be too brittle.

Anyone recognize this thing? I'm drawing on blank on it...

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Can't provide an answer, but it looks to be part of something else and used for the purpose of providing an alignment or adjusting function.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita