What is it? CCXXV

I've been working on a new page that shows most of the hammers that I've posted on my site, I'll post a link either tonight or tomorrow when I get it finished; this week's set can be seen here:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
1258 is a rather ordinary magnetic tack hammer. (Or, at least, thats what it looks like.)

1257 - for making kindling for fire lighting. Saw it on TV this week:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/txt/s2196473.htm

Let's see...
1257 - Obviously some manner of trimmer, operating on the principle of a plane. Possibly this is used to even up the pages of a signature (or few signatures) when bookbinding?
1258 - One of the above-mentioned hammers. The end with the split presumably has some specialized application that I can't cipher out at the moment. Perhaps this is used for upholstering?
1259 - Maybe a piece of sailboat rigging?
1260 - A friction gate latch? The gate could be opened either direction, but must be moved towards the right a bit before it can be swung to the left. Resetting it might be a bit of a pain, though, as it would probably tend to swing either too far or not far enough to catch properly. (The inscription seems to read "COMPOUND ....." which doesn't sound too likely for a gate latch.)
1261 - Measurer for something? No real ideas here, I'm afraid. It appears to be cast in bronze or brass or some similar alloy; with the metal handle, it wouldn't be too handy for heating and melting something, as the handle would quickly get too hot to comfortably handle. The cross-hatched surface could be used in pounding, but why make the body hollow in that case?
1262 - It's a pointy stick; perhaps used with edge-punched card filing systems ("McBee cards" or similar).
Now to see other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

It isn't a piece of sailboat rigging; maybe I should have mentioned that although the owner only had one of these, they were always used in pairs.
Rob
1262 - A guess here, but this looks similar to a wooden version of the sailors marlinspike which is used for working with rope.

Aye, that would be a fid!

That sure don't look like no fid I ever used! Looks more like a net- makers needle.
Got me one old mahogany fid about three feet long, and about four inches across at the butt.
(ex squid) LLoyd

It looks similar to a fid, but that's not what it is.
Rob

Lots of text this morning, but NO PICTURES!!!!!!
Paul

1260 - Compound trigger for a double barrelled weapon (since there are a pair of them). The front trigger preps the mechanism, making the rear trigger operate with very little pressure. (Think single action pistol, but cocking the hammer done with the front trigger.)
John
1257. This looks like a bench mounted Spill Plane - used to make spills which are then used to transfer fire from the hearth to a candle. http://www.craftsofnj.org/toolshed/articles/Spill%20Planes%20by%20Herb%20Kean/Spill%20Planes.htm
Art

1257.......some type of spill plane I think.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1257)    This looks like a plane for the edge of a plank or perhaps     a door (cabinet door, perhaps)? Looks as though it mounts     on the benchtop and the board/door is slid along it.
1258)    Looks like a wedge which is driven in to pull something like     a nail.
1259)    I think that this is for securing a large dog in the yard.     The swivel keeps him from winding up the chain around the peg.
1260)    A spring catch for a cabinet door perhaps?
1261)    Perhaps a ladle for lead? The inside looks smooth enough     so I think that you could flip it over and hit it on something     to dislodge the cooled lead for storage.
1262)    A wooden version of a "fid" for working rope -- making     eyes and splices perhaps?
    Though a longer taper would be better for that.
    Certainly too small for a belaying pin.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1257. interesting, ya learn something new every day. (make shavings for lighting a fire.) 1258. looks like a tack hammer but isn't the slot oriented 90 degrees and the magnetic head smaller in a tack hammer? almost as if this is for putting in staples? 1259. i thought this one was for hammering into and hauling logs out of the woods using horses or mules.
1260. this almost reminds me of the device on extension ladders, but this obviously is too small for using with a ladder. what is like a ladder but much smaller? if it's only 7 7/8" long, that hook for grabbing a rung is pretty darn small, less than an inch. a steel ladder? fire escape ladder?
1261. my first thought was that cold water or ice was put in the cup to make it cold, for beating... what? pastry? does beef need to be cold when it's pounded flat? i think i did see some cooking show where they said the fat in beef gets sticky if you're working it in a too warm environment.
1262. looks like it's made of wood, but could that be paint or some other coating? no idea.
1260 I wonder if it is possible that this is some sort of pocket-door latch. If one of these faces another, upside down, then the trigger shaped piece may force the hook shaped pieces to engage as the pocket-doors close, with the trigger shaped piece moving to its dotted position.
While I suggest this possibility, I don't really beliveve it. In the patent drawing, it is expected that the parts serve a function. I can't see what notch (34) does.

1260 AHA! If it serves as some sort of pocket-door latch, then the function of notch (34) is to engage and pull the point of hook (25) of the opposite piece.
I should have thought more and typed less.