What is it? CCXXIX

This week's set has been posted, I've got plans all day tomorrow so I'll be posting the answers early in the morning.

R.H.

1286 - being a southerner, I could say a seat for watching NASCAR, but it really is for deer hunting 1288 - Gatling Gun

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

1284. complete guess. taro grater. 1287. Scarificator.
device.
kfvorwerk

"Puff Griffis" revealed some of his internal workings with...

Freudian slip??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news:Ifqdnavdb6iqCY3VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

That obvious huh ? Ok 1285: Deer stand

Reply to
Puff Griffis

pressure tester?

1284--paleolithic rasp? 1285--fence pliers? 1286--deer stand? Line chief's chair for a firing range? 1287--scriber/slicer for leather, with variable spacings? 1288--drum-fed Gatling gun, ca 1880.
Reply to
J. Clarke

1284 Is it a threshing sled?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson
1285 is a combination tool for removing nails and hammering them back in again.
Reply to
johnson.ae01

In fact, it appears RH photoshopped the Mine Safety from the front label. #1284 - fraternity paddles (ouch!:-) #1286 - Tennis Judge tower?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

1287 - Scarifier. Used by medical professionals in an earlier time, and now favored by government revenue agencies. 1284 could be a more primitive version of the same thing, but I will guess perhaps a device dragged across ice to texture it for unknown reasons.

axolotl

1283 - Quite obviously a measurement tool or generation device of some sort. The meter doesn't look terribly precise, so I'd venture it's not for overly exacting work. The control/shutoff knob seems to be more than just a switch from the labeling, so it seems you could vary the effect of the box over a range. My guess: it's a load tester for car or similar batteries. 1284 -- A homemade scraper--for threshing grain, perhaps, or cleaning hides prior to tanning? 1285 -- Maybe a valve spring compressor for old auto engines? 1286 -- A bow hunting stand, perhaps? Although the safety cage looks inconveniently placed for that use. 1287 -- Stamp canceling punch, which indicates cancelation by cutting a multitude of shreds in the stamp. (It could be a lancet for bleedings, used back when bloodletting was considered a useful cure for many ailments, but I think the canceling punch is more likely.) 1288 -- Gatling gun or similar (19th century?) machine gun. Presumably, it would still be quite deadly in the right hands. I assume the ring on the top is a cartridge magazine.

Now to see other theories...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1288 is clearly a Gattling Gun, hardly a collectible tool though. Mind you, it's very collectible in itself.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

in at my usual 150% image scale. If I go back to 120%. or anything smaller I see the images and text, but not at larger scales.

O.K. Selecting from a menu that was all that would work.

Using the '+' and '-' keys, I can get up to 140%. And 160% comes back.

Similar problems with an older version of Opera, and with Firefox. I suspect that blogspot is doing something weird, and tha I'll have to stop playing if I continue to have this much trouble just getting the images.

Anyway -- posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1283) The MSA logo is "Mine Safety Association", "Mine Safety Appliance" or something like that so I suspect that it is for measuring the buildup of toxic or explosive gases in the mine. 1284) Home-made coarse sandpaper. Sharp stone chips hammered into slots in wood. 1285) Well -- part of it is a hammer, obviously. I think that the other part could be used for crimping heavy staples. Perhaps for putting nose rings in farm animals? 1286) Hmm ... doesn't look close enough to the edge of a tennis court to be a line judge's chair. The surrounding fencing does not seem right to make it a prison guard's lookout post -- aside from not having enough protection from attack by the inmates.

I still think that it is some kind of sports judging viewpoint.

1287) If it were not for the protruding disks through the slots in the third photo, I would suspect an old communications microphone, button actuated, and with the cord cut off at the end of the strain relief. 1288) A drum magazine fed Gatling gun. Obviously strapped down in a museum to keep it from "going walkabout".

Hard to judge the scale, but I think that it is .30 cal, not .50.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

... snip

Seems like if it was a canceling punch for stamps, that would be kind of hard on the contents of the envelope.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Now for this week:

1283. Despite the obfuscation, I know this was made by Mine Safety Appliances. So this is some kind of atmosphere or gas monitor. I'm betting on some kind of explosive or combustable gas monitor.

1284. Fish scaler?

1285. "from 1890's" so that makes it too early to be a car tire weight hammer. Possibly some sort of combined hammer/pick for a farrier?

1286. Deer hunting stand

1287. this is a puzzler - do the "fins" stick up from all of the slits on the flat side?

1288. gatling gun patent #36836 ca. 1862

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

I looked around on blogger and didn't see anything to indicate that something was changed, hopefully you will be able to continue your weekly comments here, I enjoy reading your posts.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

the area. Probably made by Mine Safety Appliances Company.

Here's a modern model (looks basically the same)

What they used for torture before waterboarding

1285: Something for working on fencing? 1286: That's what you jump from in the mud-puddle jumping contest. Traditionally the jump is preceded by a yell of "Watch this!". 1287: Smaller version of 1284. 1288: Gatling gun, original version.
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto