What is it? CCXXIV

The answer page might be a little later than usual tomorrow, depending on when I get back from a short trip that I'm taking tonight.

R.H.

hi, greetings from germany

this week only one silly guess

1255 high-force screw anchor

all others ... no idea. no silly idea, no usefull idea. sorry.

oops, got some more... but only silly ones.

1252 for bending wires? 1251 for bending sheet metal?

chris

Reply to
Christian Stü
1255. The only one that I know is this concrete anchor. There is a threaded tapered plug in the bottom that is pulled by the threads and wedged against the sides of the hole.
Reply to
DanG

1254. Looks like drum hooks. But the chain is too short for standard barrels. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

being milked. The hooks slip over the cow's Achilles' tendons from the rear and the chain goes in front of the legs. The end of the chain with the ring is pulled through its hook to pull the legs together. That hook has a slot to hold the chain adjustment.

Reply to
Cecil Ogg

Cecil nailed this one. Sometimes putting them on a "kicker" cow becomes an adventure. Just the thing to wake you up at 5 AM.

Reply to
BillM
Reply to
joeljcarver

#1251 is a miter jack.

Reply to
Brent Beal

I stand corrected and wish we had had one and I only had to milk one cow. The hell with ice cream. The only good use of a cow is steak. OK, barbeque, but pork is best. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I haven't seen the pitchurs, but if that's what they are, they're called "hobbles"...

--

Reply to
dpb

Correct and they aren't necessarily for kicking. They also keep the cow from dancing when they are tickelish and keep them from putting their foot in the milk bucket!

Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

Maybe they should have used ones like those instead of epoxied anchor bolts to hold up the concrete ceiling panels in Boston's "Big Dig".

Jeff Wisnia

ditto...

--

Reply to
dpb

#1252 Counter for some card game (Bezique?) Sorry, I recognise it, but I've never played it. Some of these are ivory or silver and very finely worked.

#1253 Homemade one-off device (it's made of plywood) for stretching two parallel wire apart. Maybe to spread them so as to install some sort of spacer or insulator?

#1252 Rawlbolt (if it were a UK brand) or "shield anchor". It's an old sortt of high-strength expanding wall anchor. Their main use is for fracturing bricks in half, without needing to remove the brick from the wall first. Leave them to use in concrete!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which reminds me about a promiscuious young lady who drank too much a a company country picnic and passed out lying on her back in a field.

She woke up just as a cow was steping over her, looked up and said, "One at a time boys!"

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

1251) Hmm ... a clamp designed to hold close where you want to make a cut at an angle. Probably for cuts at an angle. 1252) Is that *all* wood? It looks as though it has inserts made of metal or perhaps graphite. A shot or two from other angles would help, too.

The only thing that I can think of is that it is for programming something by the presence or absence of projections. (Perhaps it is a key for a strange lock.

1253) Looks like a tool for tensioning wires in some kind of assembly. It looks as though the wire passes through the hollow bolts as guides and then passes through the pulley. 1254) This looks like an expanding insert for putting a stud into a hole drilled in concrete. 1255) No guess other than that the projection on the side of the angled joining piece serves as a large screwdriver.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Looks to me like there's a whole "bunch" of us "old fart" kids around here that grew up with the bossy's>

Reply to
Nahmie
1253: an alignment tool for keeping that wood stick parallel? The rollers are arranged to make a two-cable-crossover so the assembly is free to slide in the jackscrew direction while holding the wood stick in a fixed orientation. The jackscrew acts to adjust the cable spacing. Two adjustable stops set the minimum cable spacing.
Reply to
whit3rd

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I have one on my desk right now. On the underside it says (rot13): Gur Pnzqra Juvfg Znexre Tbbqnyy & Fba, Ybaqba.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Wedd