What is it? CCXXII

Page 2 of 2
1239 is a legal implement. My ex wife stuck the awl part into my back, then her lawyer swiveled it until my wallet was cut free.

Nice! I immediately tried clicking "this archive," and was treated to just the sort of object I love -- something that looks like a cross between a pistol, a clock and something else. They should work that baby into the next Myst game! :-)
I also stumbled onto a link that led me to your Neatorama page, and then a certain object, that's actually a puzzle, that currently goes for $229.95. (I guess I shouldn't say the name of the puzzle, in case someone wants to solve the Neatorama "What Is It" puzzles first...?
And your links also led me to a whole thread full of people talking about how to solve the $229.95 puzzle. I can't believe there are that many people who can comfortably spend that much cash on one puzzle! (although I can believe that, once they've spent the cash, they'll then be able to find each other to talk about it!)
Hmm, how to start a subthread about this $229.95 puzzle without giving away the "What Is It" in the process... ?
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:56:21 -0800, dgates

Howdy,
Your comment reminds me of an experience I had a long time ago:
I have been a serious guitar player for more than fifty years...
When I was about 18, I had the occasion to visit with a prominent surgeon who lived in Ohio.
I had with me a very fine guitar that was made in 1927, and after dinner my host asked if I might play a tune for him.
As I took the guitar from its case, he looked at it for a moment, and said "That looks like it might be something rather special. Is it?"
I told him a bit about the instrument, and he gently asked "Might you tell me what a guitar of that sort is worth?"
When I told him its value he frowned. Then, he said "Perhaps I should not tell you this, but I am a much older and more experienced man, and I believe that you have grossly misplaced values..."
After a dramatic pause, he then added "Don't you realize that for that amount of money, you could have bought a Browning shotgun?"
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Thanks, I used blogger's label feature to make the archive, you can add a descriptor to each post and then all related posts can be seen by clicking on the label. I was planning to go back and label every applicable post with these terms: Best, Woodworking, Metalworking, Science, Gunpowder, and Fire; but I only got about half way when I realized that some of the categories were starting to contain too many posts.
There are over twenty posts in the woodworking set, in which at least one tool in the post is related to this category, it can be seen at the link below but you might want to pass on it unless you have broadband:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/search/label/Woodworking
Over a dozen posts related to gunpowder, weapons, or explosives are in this set:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/search/label/Gunpowder
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to continue adding more labels, since most of the categories have enough posts already.
Rob

One possible problem I see with labeling in that way is that you're kind of giving away the answer. With the ones I've most enjoyed, you look at them and say "Is that a weapon? Some kind of time piece? A woodworking tool??"

That's another good reason not to continue with the labels, I'll probably hold off using this feature for a while.
An update on the barrel maker's tool: someone who has used this device sent me an email saying that it was for champhering the head of a barrel so that it would hold in the groove around the top.
Rob

#1239 Panel Gauge #1242 Pocket hole jig
scott
1241 - Swiss army fork.
B.

Time to dust off the thinking cap...not sure it's much help this time, though.
1239 -- It's fairly obvious how you'd use this tool; the pointy bit gets stuck in something, and the other end swung around to describe a circle or arc. The diameter is adjustable within some limits. It's much less clear what the circle-describing end is intended to do on its course; the rounded mustache-shaped metal foot seemingly slides along the surface, and presumably the vee-shaped trough does...ummm...something. If it's sharpened at one or the other end, it may cut a groove or mark where cutting is to be done; or perhaps it's somehow used to check the roundness and evenness of wheels. Pure guesswork, in both cases.
1240 -- Well, you put the top edge in the flap at the back and follow the instructions along the side to accomplish whatever it is you need to do. Print a bookmark?
1241 -- No idea what it does, but it's an exquisite tool.
1242 -- A woodworking jig for drilling holes at an angle; I presume this may be used to make screw holes to attach table tops to their rails. Presumably, the bit-guiding portion is actually perpendicular to the base, and the apparent angle in the first picture is caused by the camera's position.
1243 -- Possibly strapped around one's knee when doing something like ice climbing?
1244 -- Strange things. They are fairly roughly finished and not too precisely cast, so they cannot be precision weights or measures or standards. The holes suggest perhaps they rock on a shaft; possibly parts of some mechanical control system? (I'm thinking along the lines of the mechanism used until relatively recently to synchronize the locks on the Panama canal. I tried and failed to find a picture online, but it was essentially a PAL assembled of rocker arms, levers, and cams.)
--
Andrew Erickson

    Oops -- I'm late again.
    Anyway -- posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
1239)    This looks like a tool for cutting a circle from cardboard or     leather. The vertical spike defines the center, and the     horizontal handle puts pressure on the arc-shaped cutting blade.
    Looks as though there is a hook to lift up the work stock     outside of the circle as you go -- to make sure that you have     cut all the way through before you get away from an area.
1240)    Magnifying viewer for something. The format is wrong for     microfiche. It uses a rather intense illuminator inside based     on the ventilation louvers. Perhaps it is some form of opaque     projector?
1241)    Looks as though it is meant to hold down meat while it is being     cut, and not to lift it to the user's mouth.
1242)    Hmm -- screwed to a tabletop of some sort. The clamp holds a     workpiece and the two angled setscrews hold it down to the     bottom, perhaps to assure that it is at a constant height for     some other tool to work upon.
1243)    At a guess, it straps just below the knee to allow one to     kneel on ice without slipping.
1244)    A set of screw-on (or snap-on) cams -- marked for how much     lift they give to a follower roller. Not sure what the units     are. Maybe 0.001" increments, too small to be mm of lift.
    Now to see what others have said -- and you probably have already posted the answers page by now.
    Enjoy,         DoN.