What is it? CCXXII

Page 1 of 2
As was suggested, I updated my header with a link to a few of my better posts, I've got a couple more comments on this but I'm short on time this morning so I'll have to get to it later.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

1239 looks like something to do with grooving a wooden barrel lid
1240 an epidiascope?
1241 forked if I know......
1242 a drilling jig for dowelling?
1243 do these tie onto boots for shinnying up trees?
1244 as for 1241....

1243 is a calf weaner. I saw them in use as a small boy. It was attached to a halter so that it fastened on top of the calf's nose. When the calf attempted to nurse, the cow would be pricked, prompting her to kick the calf away. Talk about tough love!
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Good Lord! Now THERE'S a few mental images I'd like to have burned away.
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:08:26 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I'll say! I guess those of us that have never been on a barn are a lot "softer" in our sensibilities.
"this spiked object might look like it's from a horror movie...?" I can totally picture teenager cows in a Far Side cartoon lining up to see a horror movie called "Calf Weaner!"

The Texas Veal Massacre......
Gunner

My grandparents and several aunts and uncles had farms. I spent quite a bit of time working and playing around livestock, and I'm still cringing at what something like that would to do a cow's full udder.
"Prick" you say? Isn't one of the first things a calf does is jam his nose good and hard into the udder looking for the teat? That's what I remember.

Oh Ye of Little Faith! Don't tell the folks at PETA, but these things are still in use today. This one attaches a little differently, but the outcome is still the same. http://www.cattlestore.com/pc-1163-158-syrvet-spiked-calf-weaner.aspx
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
"DonkeyHody" wrote

That is the new fangled version. The ones that we used were made of metal and had a point on one end. You jammed it through the wall between the nostrils and slipped a pin in it. It became a metal ring through the nose with some teeth on it. So you had a ring through the nose which would come in handylater in life if you needed to move the cow. a rope through the ring made any livestock totally obedient.
DonkeyHody wrote:

Don't let the kids at the mall see that. They'll all be wearing them...
dgates wrote:

I have been on several farms, but I was smart enough to stay off the barn.
prove it.

The second one is a victorian/georgian era pier amusement machine for showing short films.
Roy
1240 looks like an old microfiche reader. I hated them.
1239 is an early model of can opener. It always amazes me that the tin can was quite common for many years before the first can opener was invented.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

some type. The knives were the ultimate utility tool for countless generations, until they became politically incorrect. Or many other tools/modern conveniences rendered their general utility obsolete.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Several sites agree that the early cans were of such heavy metal that they had to be chiseled open or pounded with a hammer.
--John
Lee Michaels wrote:

Can opener? <http://images.google.com/images?q=p38+can+opener&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
prove it.

Seems unlikely. Why would someone cut a V-shaped groove instead of just cutting the metal? Way more force would be required. How would you locate the exact center of the lid so that tool would function? You'd need another tool to find the center.
Generally speaking, if there's an oddball tool that kinda sorta looks like a woodworking tool, it's probably a leather working tool. I bet if RH posted these quizzes on a leather working newsgroup, all of the woodworking tools would be guessed at as being some sort of leather tools!
R.H. wrote:

1242 appears to be a pocket hole jig. I've seen one just like it in a catalog somewhere but can't find it now.
--John