What is it? CCXXII

As was suggested, I updated my header with a link to a few of my better posts, I've got a couple more comments on this but I'm short on time this morning so I'll have to get to it later.

R.H.

1239 looks like something to do with grooving a wooden barrel lid 1240 an epidiascope?

1241 forked if I know......

1242 a drilling jig for dowelling?

1243 do these tie onto boots for shinnying up trees?

1244 as for 1241....
Reply to
Stealth Pilot

1243 is a calf weaner. I saw them in use as a small boy. It was attached to a halter so that it fastened on top of the calf's nose. When the calf attempted to nurse, the cow would be pricked, prompting her to kick the calf away. Talk about tough love!

DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

1242. Craftsman and probably other brand pocket screw jig. link below. Thanks Karl

kfvorwerk

showing short films.

Roy

Reply to
rthearle
1240 looks like an old microfiche reader. I hated them.
Reply to
joelblatt
1239 is an early model of can opener. It always amazes me that the tin can was quite common for many years before the first can opener was invented.
Reply to
DanG

"DanG" wrote

That is probably because at that time almost everybody carried a knife of some type. The knives were the ultimate utility tool for countless generations, until they became politically incorrect. Or many other tools/modern conveniences rendered their general utility obsolete.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Good Lord! Now THERE'S a few mental images I'd like to have burned away.

Reply to
else24

catalog somewhere but can't find it now.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Seems unlikely. Why would someone cut a V-shaped groove instead of just cutting the metal? Way more force would be required. How would you locate the exact center of the lid so that tool would function? You'd need another tool to find the center.

Generally speaking, if there's an oddball tool that kinda sorta looks like a woodworking tool, it's probably a leather working tool. I bet if RH posted these quizzes on a leather working newsgroup, all of the woodworking tools would be guessed at as being some sort of leather tools!

RicodJour

Several sites agree that the early cans were of such heavy metal that they had to be chiseled open or pounded with a hammer.

Reply to
J. Clarke
1239 is a legal implement. My ex wife stuck the awl part into my back, then her lawyer swiveled it until my wallet was cut free.
Reply to
DS

I'll say! I guess those of us that have never been on a barn are a lot "softer" in our sensibilities.

"this spiked object might look like it's from a horror movie...?" I can totally picture teenager cows in a Far Side cartoon lining up to see a horror movie called "Calf Weaner!"

Reply to
dgates

just the sort of object I love -- something that looks like a cross between a pistol, a clock and something else. They should work that baby into the next Myst game! :-)

I also stumbled onto a link that led me to your Neatorama page, and then a certain object, that's actually a puzzle, that currently goes for $229.95. (I guess I shouldn't say the name of the puzzle, in case someone wants to solve the Neatorama "What Is It" puzzles first...?

And your links also led me to a whole thread full of people talking about how to solve the $229.95 puzzle. I can't believe there are that many people who can comfortably spend that much cash on one puzzle! (although I can believe that, once they've spent the cash, they'll then be able to find each other to talk about it!)

Hmm, how to start a subthread about this $229.95 puzzle without giving away the "What Is It" in the process... ?

Reply to
dgates

The Texas Veal Massacre......

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

#1242 Pocket hole jig

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My grandparents and several aunts and uncles had farms. I spent quite a bit of time working and playing around livestock, and I'm still cringing at what something like that would to do a cow's full udder.

"Prick" you say? Isn't one of the first things a calf does is jam his nose good and hard into the udder looking for the teat? That's what I remember.

Reply to
else24

Howdy,

Your comment reminds me of an experience I had a long time ago:

I have been a serious guitar player for more than fifty years...

When I was about 18, I had the occasion to visit with a prominent surgeon who lived in Ohio.

I had with me a very fine guitar that was made in 1927, and after dinner my host asked if I might play a tune for him.

As I took the guitar from its case, he looked at it for a moment, and said "That looks like it might be something rather special. Is it?"

I told him a bit about the instrument, and he gently asked "Might you tell me what a guitar of that sort is worth?"

When I told him its value he frowned. Then, he said "Perhaps I should not tell you this, but I am a much older and more experienced man, and I believe that you have grossly misplaced values..."

After a dramatic pause, he then added "Don't you realize that for that amount of money, you could have bought a Browning shotgun?"

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth
1241 - Swiss army fork.