What is it? CCVIII

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:05:52 -0500, Brent Beal wrote:

I heard he got a new job, working for Snap-on Tools. ;-)
Cheers! Rich
#1158 looks like a variation of the famous cat carrier:
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Humor/cat-carrier.jpg
B.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
1154)    These are for drilling holes in large wooden beams     perhaps for building large structures on land, or perhaps     for building large boat frames. (There are similar tools fro     drilling metal, but these have wood bits (where they have any),     so thus my selection of project materials.
    You either kneel on the paddle, or clamp it in place with large     C-clamps.
    The metalworking ones, at least, are geared to feed as they cut,     picking up both from the main hand crank. The middle one in the     top photo appears to be similarly set up -- but unfortuately,     the details are lost in the black of the photos.
1155)    I would like to see more detail of the small parts in the     upper left-hand corner of the box -- but I think that it is some     kind of tool for burning words or symbols into wood. At least,     the shank appears to be of a soldering-iron style and I see     nothing else to be powered. It looks as though the end can     clamp a row of metal type -- which may be pre-set in those     things to the upper right. Also -- is there anything under the     triangular filler in the box's upper-right-hand corner?
1156)    No clue on this one. :-)
1157)    My guess here is that this is for cutting the foil around a     wine bottle's neck prior to applying a corkscrew.
1158)    Again, no real guess -- other than as a rather strange frame     for holding something like a hacksaw blade. Not sure what the     square at the end opposite the handle is supposed to hold.
1159)    This appears to be for scribing the inside diameter of glass     tubing prior to breaking it to length. There is a depth stop,     and a sliding latch which applys pressure to the cutting wheel,     but I have no idea what benefit you can get from scribing the ID     instead of the OD prior to breaking it. I would think that it     would not provide as clean a start to the break.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1157. Cuts the shell of a hard boiled egg.