1148. Looks like a clacker (slang) used to detonate military explosives. See here:
kfvorwerk

"Clacker", a US military issue dynamo exploder for detonating explosives. This sort if supplied in the one-shot bag with a Claymore, for which it's adequate. It also has a very bad reputation amongst engineers if ever mis-used to try and detonate a larger demolition with multiple blasting caps. It's of inadequate power output to do this for more than one cap and has a habit of only detonating a fraction of them.

Scrolling saw (another variant of the coping saw). This one has an extra chain-drive gadget so that the blade isn't twisted when it's rotated in the frame. It's thus probably intended for something like glass or ceramic working, where the old abrasive blades were infamously brittle.

Vapouring spirit lamp, maybe for heating around a vertical post, possibly pre-heating a paraffin (kerosene) burner in turn.

Spring balance. As it has a carabiner rather than a hook, I guess it's for measuring a horizontal force applied by hand?

yet another saw set.

Reply to
Andy Dingley
1148 no idea 1149 coping saw with angle adjustable blades 1150 kerosene lamp or spirit lamp (oops, right word?) 1151 spring scale 1152 a tool for stamping? 1153 no idea

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

1148: waterproof limit switch... 1149: self-tensioning scroll saw...The two ends would be threaded oppositely like a turnbuckle. 1150: Alcohol lamp 1151: Fish scale 1152: for straightening kinked snakes 1153: wire stripper or crimper? If it only opens 1/16", the stop screw seems like it has a much greater travel than needed.
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

It isn't a detonator but you're in the right ball park.

Reply to
R.H.

The pliers widget appears to be a handsaw set

Reply to
beecrofter

1153 - I think it's for bending the end of a wire into a hook. You can make a hook with pliers, but the length and shape may not be just right to use in a machine.

There's a strip of metal clamped at the top right. I'll call it the tongue. I think it has a longitudinal groove at the left end as a cradle to keep a wire centered.

I'll call the end of the top jaw, where it hits the tongue, the tooth. It appears that squeezing the handle would open the jaws in the sense of moving the tooth away from the tip of the tongue. The farther you opened the jaw, the shorter would be the distance from the tip of the tongue to the back of the opening formed by the upper jaw. Thus I think the adjustment screw would regulate the length of wire that could be inserted.

Now, using a finger to hold the wire against the lower jaw (the shelf), you let the spring pull the levers apart so the tooth clamps the wire against the tip of the tongue. Now you can bend the wire around the tooth into a hook.

Reply to
Bill Rider

to it in time last round. Let's see what happens with this one.

1148) Looks like a detachable actuation lever for something, and from the color, something made for the U.S. Army.

I think that I see a rubber waterproofing boot under the lever, which is probably over a microswitch pushbutton.

1149) The missing part is a coping saw blade -- and this is a neat one, with the ability to rotate the blade to a convenient angle relative to the frame without having to loosen the clamps and rotate each end separately by hand -- thus twisting the blade.

There have been times when I would really have liked to own that beastie. :-)

1150) A heater -- kerosene or perhaps gasoline powered. The wicks carry fuel up into the hollow coil, it is heated and vaporized by a starter fire, and then sprayed out through the tiny holes were it is burned to keep things going. 1151) A "force gauge" which can also be used for weighing things which can be picked up by the hook at the bottom end.

It looks like 0-30 pounds, though it could be 0-30 kG instead.

The triangular part at the top is for the hand to pull it.

1152) It looks as though its function is to bend some kind of strip, whether wood or metal remains unclear. 1153) A tool designed to crimp some copper or steel tubing to a closed or nearly closed condition -- while leaving a specific length beyond the crimp.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. A new newsreader, in case things look different this time.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Kind of a slow night for me here so I thought that I would post a few more photos to see if anyone can figure out what they are. These won't be seen on the web site but they are unusual and interesting nonetheless.

The first two were submitted by a visitor.

  1. Probably about 2-1/2" to 3" tall:

  1. The flat plastic part is around 2" to 2-1/2" long, the attached round piece is hollow:

  1. 9" long:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

photo, as it is all black, but I think that I see hints of lobes in there. If so, it is likely to be a special wrench for removing the filler caps on serious sized NiCad battery cells. I've got a white nylon one of the sort. They are plastic, so if dropped they won't short between adjacent cells and cause serious sparks and flames.

That is the udder (three instead of four of the "fittings" -- and three instead of four legs. I don't remember what the horn count is. :-)

Really -- my only guess is that it is part of something built for heat transfer.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well, I meant to post this in the current thread but accidentally selected the wrong one, next time I'll have to take a closer look.

It's not part of an aircraft. I'll give a hint, one of the edges of the slot is a plastic blade.

There aren't any lobes inside, it's just an empty hollow cylinder attached to the flat piece. The strap is meant to go around the neck.

It's not for heat transfer, but it was made to be used with a hot liquid.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Looks like some kind of soft material sharpener... pretty big for crayons, though. Maybe for church candles?

A funnel to distribute wax to candle molds? A primitive method of pouring lead for shot?

Rob, thanks again for the great website.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Correct, it's a candle sharpener.

Yes, it was marked "candle mold filler".

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's not a gauge, it's made to hold a small version of something common. This is probably a difficult one to guess, it would typically be used when working on something.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I know I've seen one of these... but not where I saw it. Is it for a flashlight?

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Correct, a small flashlight fits in the hole and the flat part is held between the teeth. Here's the patent for it:

R.H.

Woo-Hoo! Three for three!!!!

-Carl

Reply to