What is it? CCVII

Page 1 of 2
Just posted set number 207:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
1148 Resembles a Claymore mine detonator.
1149 Jigsaw
1151 Spring scale

It isn't a detonator but you're in the right ball park.

1148. Looks like a clacker (slang) used to detonate military explosives. See here: http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-service/weapons/claymore.php Karl

"Clacker", a US military issue dynamo exploder for detonating explosives. This sort if supplied in the one-shot bag with a Claymore, for which it's adequate. It also has a very bad reputation amongst engineers if ever mis-used to try and detonate a larger demolition with multiple blasting caps. It's of inadequate power output to do this for more than one cap and has a habit of only detonating a fraction of them.
Scrolling saw (another variant of the coping saw). This one has an extra chain-drive gadget so that the blade isn't twisted when it's rotated in the frame. It's thus probably intended for something like glass or ceramic working, where the old abrasive blades were infamously brittle.
Vapouring spirit lamp, maybe for heating around a vertical post, possibly pre-heating a paraffin (kerosene) burner in turn.
Spring balance. As it has a carabiner rather than a hook, I guess it's for measuring a horizontal force applied by hand?
yet another saw set.
1148 no idea 1149 coping saw with angle adjustable blades 1150 kerosene lamp or spirit lamp (oops, right word?) 1151 spring scale 1152 a tool for stamping? 1153 no idea
greetings from germany chris
R.H. wrote:

1148: waterproof limit switch... 1149: self-tensioning scroll saw...The two ends would be threaded oppositely like a turnbuckle. 1150: Alcohol lamp 1151: Fish scale 1152: for straightening kinked snakes 1153: wire stripper or crimper? If it only opens 1/16", the stop screw seems like it has a much greater travel than needed.

The pliers widget appears to be a handsaw set
R.H. wrote:

1153 - I think it's for bending the end of a wire into a hook. You can make a hook with pliers, but the length and shape may not be just right to use in a machine.
There's a strip of metal clamped at the top right. I'll call it the tongue. I think it has a longitudinal groove at the left end as a cradle to keep a wire centered.
I'll call the end of the top jaw, where it hits the tongue, the tooth. It appears that squeezing the handle would open the jaws in the sense of moving the tooth away from the tip of the tongue. The farther you opened the jaw, the shorter would be the distance from the tip of the tongue to the back of the opening formed by the upper jaw. Thus I think the adjustment screw would regulate the length of wire that could be inserted.
Now, using a finger to hold the wire against the lower jaw (the shelf), you let the spring pull the levers apart so the tooth clamps the wire against the tip of the tongue. Now you can bend the wire around the tooth into a hook.

    O.K. I was too tied up in configuring some new computers to get to it in time last round. Let's see what happens with this one.
1148)    Looks like a detachable actuation lever for something, and from     the color, something made for the U.S. Army.
    I think that I see a rubber waterproofing boot under the lever,     which is probably over a microswitch pushbutton.
1149)    The missing part is a coping saw blade -- and this is a neat     one, with the ability to rotate the blade to a convenient angle     relative to the frame without having to loosen the clamps and     rotate each end separately by hand -- thus twisting the blade.
    There have been times when I would really have liked to own that     beastie. :-)
1150)    A heater -- kerosene or perhaps gasoline powered. The wicks     carry fuel up into the hollow coil, it is heated and vaporized     by a starter fire, and then sprayed out through the tiny holes     were it is burned to keep things going.
1151)    A "force gauge" which can also be used for weighing things     which can be picked up by the hook at the bottom end.
    It looks like 0-30 pounds, though it could be 0-30 kG instead.
    The triangular part at the top is for the hand to pull it.
1152)    It looks as though its function is to bend some kind of strip,     whether wood or metal remains unclear.
1153)    A tool designed to crimp some copper or steel tubing to a     closed or nearly closed condition -- while leaving a specific     length beyond the crimp.
    Now to see what others have answered.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
P.S.    A new newsreader, in case things look different this time.
Kind of a slow night for me here so I thought that I would post a few more photos to see if anyone can figure out what they are. These won't be seen on the web site but they are unusual and interesting nonetheless.
The first two were submitted by a visitor.
1. Probably about 2-1/2" to 3" tall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_1001.jpg
2. The flat plastic part is around 2" to 2-1/2" long, the attached round piece is hollow:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_1002.jpg
3. 9" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_1003.jpg
Rob

    Hmm ... perhaps part of a marker light from an aircraft?

    The inside of the cylindrical part is not easy to see in the photo, as it is all black, but I think that I see hints of lobes in there. If so, it is likely to be a special wrench for removing the filler caps on serious sized NiCad battery cells. I've got a white nylon one of the sort. They are plastic, so if dropped they won't short between adjacent cells and cause serious sparks and flames.

    Hmm ... someone was starting a metal model of a Martian cow? That is the udder (three instead of four of the "fittings" -- and three instead of four legs. I don't remember what the horn count is. :-)
    Really -- my only guess is that it is part of something built for heat transfer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Well, I meant to post this in the current thread but accidentally selected the wrong one, next time I'll have to take a closer look.

It's not part of an aircraft. I'll give a hint, one of the edges of the slot is a plastic blade.

There aren't any lobes inside, it's just an empty hollow cylinder attached to the flat piece. The strap is meant to go around the neck.

It's not for heat transfer, but it was made to be used with a hot liquid.
Rob

    Perhaps for sharpening crayon tips? It seems a bit big for that, but the material does not seem sufficient for stronger materials. Perhaps for pointing a candle?

    Hmm ... some kind of whistle? Not enough detail to be sure.

    For moulding candles, perhaps

Too late- I already answered them all. Don't they show up on your server?
-Carl

    Sure -- but they were downstream of where I answered, so I saw that later.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I'll go ahead and reply in case DoN didn't get the other post.

Correct, it's for sharpening candles.

Not a whistle, but a holder for a small flashlight, the flat part is held in the mouth, so both hands are free to work

Yes, it's a candle mold filler.
I've got a few more things that aren't quite right for the web site for some reason or other, if I have time I'll post a couple more like this in the coming weekends.
Happy Holidays to everyone,
Rob
: Well, I meant to post this in the current thread but accidentally selected : the wrong one, next time I'll have to take a closer look. : : : >> 1. Probably about 2-1/2" to 3" tall: : >> : >>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_1001.jpg : > : > Hmm ... perhaps part of a marker light from an aircraft? : : : It's not part of an aircraft. I'll give a hint, one of the edges of the : slot is a plastic blade. : : : > : >> 2. The flat plastic part is around 2" to 2-1/2" long, the attached round : >> piece is hollow: : >> : >>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_1002.jpg : > : > The inside of the cylindrical part is not easy to see in the : > photo, as it is all black, but I think that I see hints of lobes in : > there. If so, it is likely to be a special wrench for removing the : > filler caps on serious sized NiCad battery cells. I've got a white : > nylon one of the sort. They are plastic, so if dropped they won't short : > between adjacent cells and cause serious sparks and flames. : : : There aren't any lobes inside, it's just an empty hollow cylinder attached : to the flat piece. The strap is meant to go around the neck. :
It goes on the end of a flashlight to hold between your teeth so you can work with both hands.
What'd I win? <g>
--
Chuck Eaves
78 FLH Shovel-in-Progress

Looks like some kind of soft material sharpener... pretty big for crayons, though. Maybe for church candles?

No idea.

A funnel to distribute wax to candle molds? A primitive method of pouring lead for shot?
Rob, thanks again for the great website.
-Carl

Correct, it's a candle sharpener.

Yes, it was marked "candle mold filler".
Rob