What is it? CCV

Page 1 of 2
The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

1136: That's a "Slim Jim" for opening car doors when one locks their keys inside the car. Worked on older model cars. Not sure if it works on today's models.
Dunno the rest. Dave

1136. I don't think it's a slim jim. 1137. Some sort of rabbet plane for wood that uses saw teeth instead of a plane blade. Perhaps for across the grain rabbits. Thanks Karl
1136 & 1138 Gauges
1140 Censer (Guess) Wall mounted smell maker.

1136: Gauge, not sure what for. Varies from 7/8" to 1-7/8" 1137: Old router. from back before curves were invented. 1138: Scale, for distance in inches 1139: Cast iron steamer, not a bed warmer the top would be solid instead of vented 1140: Liquid gas furnace/light reflector 1141: Pipe bender for up to 1 inch stock
Dave FL
Dave wrote:

As closely as I can measure from the photo, the smallest is 22mm (7/8") and the largest 47mm (almost 1 7/8"), but the increments are not linear or exponential: 22, 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 36, 43, 46, 47.

Maybe it was used to sort wood posts, either for sale or for milling.

1136 could be part of a clock spring gauge. Some of the older English clocks had very wide mainsprings.
Steve R.
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

1140: egg candler (?)
Northe

egg candler is that i thought too (because it's got fabric around the holes to cushion the eggs), but i can't figure out why an egg candler would need three holes. and, does it make sense to have a device that gets HOT to be attached directly and so closely to a wall, that may be flammable?
b.w.
1136 a gauge, not sure of the specific purpose 1137 - rabbet plane, but not really a plane 1138 - and indexed caliper 1139 - a top for a dutch oven, get it really hot and put it on top to brown the top crust? 1140 - A three light gas lantern? 1141 - Something to score and bend conduit?
R.H. wrote:

1136: An LPDA made by someone who just doesn't get it.
1137: Ye Olde Movie Camera
1138: Body fat calipers
1139: Dutch oven, with perforated lid. Or world's worst pressure cooker.
1140: Ye Olde Patio Heater, with light
1141: I'm pretty sure it doesn't make pasta.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Well the plane assembly looks to me like a tool known as a scratch beader. And the pot looks like on of them humidifiers for the top of a wood stove.
1141. Electric motor armature undercutter for cutting the mica to below the surface of the metal on the commutator. Art

Here we go again...
1136 -- This appears to be a gauge for checking/measuring the width or spacing of something. Is it possibly for spacing the frets when building a stringed instrument--perhaps a ukulele?
1137 -- This would seem to cut rabbets in the edge of a narrow strip of some material. The cutters don't look particularly suited for wood, so possibly it's for shaping countertop material at joints or around sinks.
1138 -- A tool to measure/check the diameter of shafting?
1139 -- This I'm quite sure of; it's a humidifier for use on a wood stove, kept filled with water that simmers as the stove heats. Very good to have; with it, you can sometimes even keep the relative humidity in the double digits while heating with wood. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating the drying effects a little bit, but wood stoves do tend to dry out the inside air a lot.)
1140 -- A very peculiar contraption; it's meant to be wall-mounted, and contains a lamp for heat or light, oddly with two wick adjusters and presumably two wicks. The glass or mirror panels make one suspect some optical device, perhaps to compare samples of something. The large lined holes could hold eggs, but I have no idea why you'd need to check three eggs at once for blood or chicks. Perhaps this is used when grading maple syrup (which is graded by darkness)?
1141 -- This could be used to find and mark the center of stock prior to chucking it in a lathe. The thumbscrew adjustment for the blade depth would seem to be superfluous for such uses, though.
Now to read other's ideas.
--
Andrew Erickson

    O.K. Posting from RCM again.
1136)    Looks like either a set of measures of very similar sizes     (plus a different set of similar sizes on the other side), or a     guide for spacing parts in an assembly.
1137)    Hmm ... it looks semi-related to a wood plane, except     that the working end is closer to a file.
    I presume that the two aluminum knobs in front adjust     individually the depths of the two "file" sections. The knob on     the side adjusts the offset relative to the side guide plate, or     perhaps the position of the swinging guide plate standing clear     from the overall assembly.
    The box on top also appears to serve to adjust the depth of cut,     so I would *really* like to have it in my hands for examination,     rather than just the few photos. That would also help me to     determine whether the "files" on the bottom are hardened, or     rubber brake assemblies instead.
    Perhaps the aluminum knobs simply serve to clamp the files in     place once they are set to depth by the center knob on the top.
1138)    A caliper -- given the shape, perhaps for measuring the width     and fore-to-aft dimensions of a person's skull in half-inch     increments.
1139)    It looks as though it is for holding a fire around a central     container (which is not present as shown). Perhaps for     generating steam to power something from the collection     partially shown behind the main object?
1140)    For heating three containers -- perhaps some kind of paint or     wax, or perhaps cups of tea. Powered by a kerosene lantern,     based on the control knobs at the narrow section and the glass     chimney protected inside the top.
1141)    I don't see anything for moving the blade relative to the main     frame, but it still might be for cutting semi-circular grooves     in the end of the round object clamped by the lower section.
    A good puzzling set this week.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Tell the truth, Rob. You've really been designing Klingon switchblades...
http://improve-usenet.org /
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:04:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Hey, if he chromes them and puts pretty, fancy grips on them, he could probably sell them by the job lot to various knife catalog/comic books like Smoky Mountain Knives..
A couple more for this week, I know the answer to this first one, it's about 3" tall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_aaa1.jpg
Bottom view of it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_aaa2.jpg
A visitor of the site sent me the following description and photos, maybe someone will know what it is:
My brother works at a local cemetary, and when he was digging out a bush he found the attached. We thought it might be a decorative attachment for a headstone, but as you can see, there is nothing to attach with. It is 6 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches high, and 1/4 inch deep. The metal appears to be bronze. The cameo looks like a white stone, and the picture of a man and woman sitting on something appear to be dressed in pre-victorian garb. The man seems to be wearing a white wig. Maybe you or one of your readers might know what this is and when it was manufactured. I could find nothing about it on the net. It seems a curious thing to find in a cemetary. Any help you or one of your readers might shed on this would be most appreciated.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_aabrnz-2.jpg
Rob

could hold bunches of flowers (or buds).

It's not upsidedown, but then I wouldn't say that it's right side up either, when in use it isn't at rest on a table.
Rob