What is it? (Amateur Version POST09)

Here is the ninth post in the series. As usual, I will try to answer questi ons about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provi de via dropbox. L. Flynn
POST09_TOOL33 This metal tool is 9 inches long. It has a spring to keep it in the open po sition. One jaw has a metal stop and slot. The other jaw has a tab that fit s through the slot. The fit is close at the front of the slot but with a ta b's width of clearance at the back. The handles are covered in a rubbery re d plastic. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3aq56jjv65i3qv/POST09_TOOL33_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST09_TOOL34 This is a metal and plastic tool approximately 17 inches long. It is a long metal bolt attached to a plastic and metal end. If you had it in hand to e xperiment with, you would quickly determine its use. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cazdf3w1nxpmwwu/POST09_TOOL34_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST09_TOOL35 This is a metal tool approximately 6 inches long. It has an expansion sprin g with the rest position open. The jaws have threaded holes with a 1/4 inch diameter. When I got the tool only one of them had a fitting in it. The fi tting has a concave metal surface approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and a plastic outer covering. The companion fitting would have a similar diameter but a different face. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6jfnyqszw9d8ao/POST09_TOOL35_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST09_TOOL36 This tool is a metal tool approximately 7 inches long. The handles are cove red with plastic. When you close the handles you open the jaws. There is a set screw with a set nut to control how wide the jaws open when the handles are closed. They can range from 0 to 1 inch. https://www.dropbox.com/s/znmhuabsqyapnr0/POST09_TOOL36_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
Still no answer POST05_TOOL17 This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tub e but covered in red rubbery plastic. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is over-designed as it is a strong steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pr y off covers (perhaps off of buckets) but the dimensions are not like other examples I've found.

Circlip pliers. The setscrew is so you don't deform the clip by spreading it too wide.

My guess would also be a bucket lid remover, but it occurs to me it may be intended for putting on the kind of lids that have lugs around the perimeter, which are bent down to fasten the lid to the bucket.
John
"John McCoy" <

By golly I think you have it John! In fact I have one in the shed right now with wood ashes in it. It's an old metal fiver with the lid you refer to. That tool would work nice on it. All the new fivers are plastic aren't they?

Magnetic pick-up

Grommet setter

Snap ring pliers.
On 5/17/2015 4:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

plastic siding notching tool

magnetic pick up tool

snap setting tool, like on western shirts

snap ring pliers

This is my last post in the series. Thanks for the answers, comments and st ories. L. Flynn
POST09_TOOL33 This metal tool is 9 inches long. It has a spring to keep it in the open po sition. One jaw has a metal stop and slot. The other jaw has a tab that fit s through the slot. The fit is close at the front of the slot but with a ta b's width of clearance at the back. The handles are covered in a rubbery re d plastic. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3aq56jjv65i3qv/POST09_TOOL33_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 Red Malco SL5 Vinyl and Aluminum Snap Lock Punch (Amazon.com product link shortened)
POST09_TOOL34 This is a metal and plastic tool approximately 17 inches long. It is a long metal bolt attached to a plastic and metal end. If you had it to experimen t with, you would quickly determine its use. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cazdf3w1nxpmwwu/POST09_TOOL34_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 Magnetic retrieving tool to get the screw that slipped down inside the door frame.
POST09_TOOL35 This is a metal tool approximately 6 inches long. It has an expansion sprin g with the rest position open. The jaws have threaded holes with a 1/4 inch diameter. When I got the tool only one of them had a fitting in it. The fi tting has a concave metal surface approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and a plastic outer covering. The companion fitting would have a similar diameter but a different face. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6jfnyqszw9d8ao/POST09_TOOL35_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 Grommet/Eyelet Pliers -- similar to this one -- https://goldstartool.com/Eyelet_Setting_Pliers_with_100_Grommets.html
POST09_TOOL36 This tool is a metal tool approximately 7 inches long. The handles are cove red with plastic. When you close the handles you open the jaws. There is a set screw with a set nut to control how wide the jaws open when the handles are closed. They can range from 0 to 1 inch. https://www.dropbox.com/s/znmhuabsqyapnr0/POST09_TOOL36_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 Older version of these VACO Adjustable Snap Ring Pliers with set screw -- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200864549548?clk_rvr_id 2311009964&rmvSB=true
POST05_TOOL17 This is a metal tool approximately 8 inches long. The handle is a metal tub e but covered in red rubbery plastic. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftew6dc29w58eu/POST05_TOOL17_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 I do not know what this tool is. My first thought on seeing it was that it is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is overdesigned as it is a strong s teel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pry off covers (perhaps off buckets) but the dimensions are not like other exa mples I've found. A new suggestion is that is used to reseal metal lids on buckets.
POST04_TOOL14 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 A nine inch long metal tool in the adjustable vice grip family. When closed , the jaws form a rounded square with two small semicircular dips on opposi te sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also forme d. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 These vice grips http://www.drumsanders.net/images/pictures/irwin-1078tray-10piece-visegrip- plier-set.jpg have been altered by welding two pieces to the jaws. They are similar to Vi ce Grips for crimping brass ferrules -- https://www.eddieswelding.com/3-8-vice-grip-crimper.html
POST03_TOOL10 https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzv2dk1y2shesud/POST03_TOOL10_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 This tool is metal and it is approximately twelve inches long. The pinching ends are shaped like small spoons. When closed, there is still some abilit y to apply additional pressure but it is not too great as the handles have some give and there is no mechanical advantage. This is likely a forceps. It looks like the antique Urology Foceps here
http://antiquescientifica.com/urology_forceps_lithotomy_Tiemann.jpg
but it lacks the barbs and is not of good quality stainless steel or nickel . It may be a pair of chemistry forceps.
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 4:32:59 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

ube but covered in red rubbery plastic.

t is a novelty Giant Bottle Opener but it is over-designed as it is a stron g steel tool with a good quality grip/cover. It could obviously be used to pry off covers (perhaps off of buckets) but the dimensions are not like oth er examples I've found.
Take the rubber handle cover off and see if there is a company name stamped on the handle, or some other helpful info for IDing it.
Sonny