What is it? (Amateur Version POST04)

Here is the fourth post in the series. As usual, I will try to answer quest ions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are prov ide via dropbox. There is one composite image per tool.
POST04_TOOL13 This metal tool is approximately five inches long. There is a round metal r od with a 95-degree bend (slightly overbent to create a little less than a right angle) at one end. At the other end, the rod pierces and is welded at 90 degrees to the midpoint of a hollow metal tube. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvbt81onn9yzmyk/POST04_TOOL13_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST04_TOOL14 A nine inch long metal tool in the adjustable vice grip family. When closed , the jaws form a rounded square with two small semicircular dips on opposi te sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also forme d. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST04_TOOL15 A heavy steel tool 67 inches long. The bottom end has a square cross sectio n ending in a dull four-sided point. The tool is slightly bowed but it is n ot clear if this by design or from use. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xup4zro4qlejbn9/POST04_TOOL15_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
POST04_TOOL16 A metal tool approximately eight inches long. The handles are kept open by a simple expansion spring requiring four pounds to oppose it. One jaw has a pivoting metal semicircle attached to it. The other jaw has a metal disc w ith tabs extending from it. The disc can be rotated to select from ten diff erent tabs. The tabs are numbered [22,25,26,28,30,32,35,36,38,40]. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt12ptjess0uxme/POST04_TOOL16_PICALL.JPG?dl=0
L Flynn
Tool 15 is a crowbar. The curvature is due to use, probably in digging post holes.
On 4/11/2015 2:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

This is for digging in hard ground. Often used as a probe for septic fields to see if they are performing. Breaking rock when digging holes..
--
Jeff

countries, and long ago. Here one of the names is "spud bar".
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 10:04:17 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Your Honor, I strongly object to the inclusion of POST04_TOOL14 in these proceedings. The presence of the welds clearly indicate that this is a highly specialized tool, modified from its original purpose by person or persons known or unknown to this court.
I refer this court to Defense Exhibit A, which clearly shows that specialized tools of the origin "Vice Grip", initially manufactured by the aforementioned company, do not include the presence of the welds found on POST04_TOOL14.
http://www.drumsanders.net/images/pictures/irwin-1078tray-10piece-visegrip-plier-set.jpg
To expect my client to speculate as to what was in the maker's mind as he and/she was modifying a standard tool is not proper and could be harmful to my client and to his reputation.
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 7:46:09 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

posite sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also f ormed.

ly specialized tool, modified from its original purpose by person or person s known or unknown to this court.

ntioned company, do not include the presence of the welds found on POST04_T OOL14.

o my client and to his reputation.
Good point. I have to admit that I do not use this tool as my unaltered vic e grips work fine for my work. I would add the information that when I purc hased this item, the adjustment was set so the clamp part close completely but not with great pressure as shown in the "closed" configuration pictures . LEF
There area others than just those in the last hyperlink picture. I have at least one more.
Vice Grip often made custom tools if the run was reasonable and could be an offshoot of an existing tool.
Often tool companies make tool blanks up to a certain point and then wait for demand. Then a blank with handles becomes long noses, or gas pliers.
That looks like a square nut locking pliers. Common pliers made were for Military needs and the electrical industry.
Martin
On 4/11/2015 7:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 11:51:43 PM UTC-4, Martin Eastburn wrote:

opposite sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also formed.

ighly specialized tool, modified from its original purpose by person or per sons known or unknown to this court.

ementioned company, do not include the presence of the welds found on POST0 4_TOOL14.

l to my client and to his reputation.

purchased this item, the adjustment was set so the clamp part close complet ely but not with great pressure as shown in the "closed" configuration pict ures.

No argument about Vice Grip making limited runs of specialized tools. Howev er, I would be surprised if they offered tools with the welds looking like they do on TOOL14. Just sayin'.
I agree. Those might be a custom set made by a farmer. All of them weld to some extent and square nuts are common on the farm.
That looks like a model 0AR 0A is the model and R is right handed.
Martin
On 4/12/2015 7:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 7:46:09 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

posite sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also f ormed.

ly specialized tool, modified from its original purpose by person or person s known or unknown to this court.

ntioned company, do not include the presence of the welds found on POST04_T OOL14.

o my client and to his reputation.
Good point. I have to admit that I do not use this tool as my unaltered vic e grips work fine for my tasks. I would add the information that when I pur chased this item, the adjustment was set so the clamp part close completely but not with great pressure as shown in the "closed" configuration picture s. In this case, the court welcomes speculation.
LEF
On 4/10/15, 8:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, a clear side view would help but this reminds me of a spark plug gapper.
-BR

--- ---

Clearly a welders (or brazers) tool...intended to hold something round while it was being welded.

I would say that's a fire iron, intended to break up clinker in a coal fire, except those usually have a T handle on the end. Definately intended to pound on something rocky to break it up.
John
(who's really curious to know what #16 is)

I made a tool like this for removing snowmobile exhaust springs. pdk

This is custom made probably for turning a shaft. pdk

Probably a tool for punching a hole in earth for a post. pdk

No answer. pdk

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 9:04:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

ovide via dropbox. There is one composite image per tool.

a right angle) at one end. At the other end, the rod pierces and is welded at 90 degrees to the midpoint of a hollow metal tube.

site sides. A second opening in the shape of a rectangular slot is also for med.

not clear if this by design or from use.

a pivoting metal semicircle attached to it. The other jaw has a metal disc with tabs extending from it. The disc can be rotated to select from ten di fferent tabs. The tabs are numbered [22,25,26,28,30,32,35,36,38,40].

# 16 is a tool to set the gap on spark plugs.
Deb
As usual, thanks for the helpful posts.
POST04_TOOL13 https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvbt81onn9yzmyk/POST04_TOOL13_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 This is trampoline spring loading tool. It can also be used as a tent peg p uller. The bent part is used to stretch the springs to attach them to or re move them from the slots in the frame. The other side of the springs are ho ok to the bed. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
POST04_TOOL14 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hcwqe2yety3v/POST04_TOOL14_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 These vice grips http://www.drumsanders.net/images/pictures/irwin-1078tray-10piece-visegrip- plier-set.jpg have been altered by welding two pieces to the jaws. Suggestions are that t hey were used to turn a shaft or hold other items to weld.
POST04_TOOL15 A heavy steel tool 67 inches long. The bottom end has a square cross sectio n ending in a dull four-sided point. The tool is slightly bowed but it is n ot clear if this by design or from use. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xup4zro4qlejbn9/POST04_TOOL15_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 It may be in the crowbar family but the end is not well designed for prying , and the weight distribution is bottom heavy. The guy I got it from said h is father worked for the railroad. It could be placed in the class of a plu mbers digging tools or spud bars with a square lower shaft and a pencil poi nt.
POST04_TOOL16 https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt12ptjess0uxme/POST04_TOOL16_PICALL.JPG?dl=0 This is a CF-71 Spark Plug Gapping Tool http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php?page=pliers/SparkPlugGapping
L Flynn

It's a ballast tamper then. Used for pushing the rock ballast between and under the crossties.
I've done that, many years ago, altho the tampers we used had flat ends as I recall. It was painful work.
John
On 4/10/2015 9:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

turns out being a brand name like Kleenex.

I don't think so. "Johnson bar" to refer to a long bar or lever goes back to the early 1800's, long before the invention of brand names.
John