What is it?

Well, it's not a tool, but it is wood, so I thought I'd ask here. I picked this up today at a Salvation Army store. My best guess is a cigar humidor, but I really don't know. I'm pretty good at guessing what stuff is for, but this has me stumped.
http://www.avercy.com/knothole/what01.htm
Jim
[lurk mode off]
Can anyone help me identify the name and purpose of the linked photos please?
http://www.geocities.com/a4slind/tool/DSC00841.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/a4slind/tool/DSC00842.JPG
The center is spring loaded and retracts.
THANK YOU!
[lurk mode on]
-- One Good Turn... New Hampshire, USA
-Remove 'BLEEP' to respond directly!
For marking a hole to be drilled in the top dead center of a round object such as a metal pipe.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:33:47 -0400, "One_Good_Turn..."

/// Smokey http://www.machlink.com/~allenbaugh/wood/woodstuff.htm http://www.machlink.com/~allenbaugh /
Smokes penned...

What would be an off-center hole in a metal pipe?
I'll take "Jummywood" for 200 . . .

"Traves W. Coppock" wrote in message:

I'll respond with a verse usually reserved for a drive-by gloat . . . .
you suck! :-)
Jums
On 22 Jul 2003, Kevin spake unto rec.woodworking:

One that didn't pass through the axis of the pipe.
pixelated:

An off-center hole is known as a "notch", Kev.
BTW, Smokes, there is no "top dead center" in a pipe, only in piston positioning. And it would be centered only if the mark were still pointing straight up when it was drilled. It does appear to be a pipe marker punch.
---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design ==========================================================
Others are saying it is a center punch. Is the 'arbor' and 'punch' connected such that it can be used as a center punch? To me, the 'arbor' and 'body' looks solid. Dan

Additional Note:
The 'shaft' is about 3/8" dia and appears to be one piece with the knurled and 'wings' section. My gut feeling is this would go into some sort of a chuck.
The only movable piece is the center. Again, spring loaded and not removable.
Does this help at all?

On 22 Jul 2003 07:00:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (One Good Turn...) wrote:

I'd agree with George. Looks like a punch for cylinders and small spheres. The knurled portion is for gripping with your fingers. The two "wings" are to position it on a cylinder's side. You give it a tap with a hammer, and the spring-loaded pin makes your mark and springs back up out of the way.
-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <><
September 11, 2001 - Never Forget
(clip) the spring-loaded pin makes your mark and springs back up out of the way. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I want it! Is it for sale?
I believe it is a pipe punch. Check the following link to see a more modern version of what I believe is the same tool.
http://pipefitter.com/standcent.html
Kirk