What is it?

[lurk mode off]

Can anyone help me identify the name and purpose of the linked photos please?

center is spring loaded and retracts.

THANK YOU!

[lurk mode on]

-- One Good Turn... New Hampshire, USA

-Remove 'BLEEP' to respond directly!

Reply to
One_Good_Turn...

For marking a hole to be drilled in the top dead center of a round object such as a metal pipe.

/// Smokey

Smokey

Smokes penned...

What would be an off-center hole in a metal pipe?

Reply to
Kevin

I'll take "Jummywood" for 200 . . .

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Others are saying it is a center punch. Is the 'arbor' and 'punch' connected such that it can be used as a center punch? To me, the 'arbor' and 'body' looks solid. Dan

Reply to
Dan Bollinger

On 22 Jul 2003, Kevin spake unto rec.woodworking:

One that didn't pass through the axis of the pipe.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Additional Note:

The 'shaft' is about 3/8" dia and appears to be one piece with the knurled and 'wings' section. My gut feeling is this would go into some sort of a chuck.

The only movable piece is the center. Again, spring loaded and not removable.

Does this help at all?

Reply to
One Good Turn...

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:01:05 -0500, "Kevin" pixelated:

An off-center hole is known as a "notch", Kev.

BTW, Smokes, there is no "top dead center" in a pipe, only in piston positioning. And it would be centered only if the mark were still pointing straight up when it was drilled. It does appear to be a pipe marker punch.

---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps

Comprehensive Website Design ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd agree with George. Looks like a punch for cylinders and small spheres. The knurled portion is for gripping with your fingers. The two "wings" are to position it on a cylinder's side. You give it a tap with a hammer, and the spring-loaded pin makes your mark and springs back up out of the way.

-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Reply to
Chuck

(clip) the spring-loaded pin makes your mark and springs back up out of the way. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I want it! Is it for sale?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'll respond with a verse usually reserved for a drive-by gloat . . . .

you suck! :-)

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I believe it is a pipe punch. Check the following link to see a more modern version of what I believe is the same tool.

"One_Good_Turn..." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@metrocast.net:

Reply to
Kirk

Well, it's not a tool, but it is wood, so I thought I'd ask here. I picked this up today at a Salvation Army store. My best guess is a cigar humidor, but I really don't know. I'm pretty good at guessing what stuff is for, but this has me stumped.

Jim K