What is it?

Found two very old wooden vises in the basement of my apartment building in Sweden. What are they for?
Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790721996 / and http://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790712430 /
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:14:42 -0000, Never Enough Money

The vise with the long beam looks like an end vise. The two smaller blocks might attach to the bottom of the bench.
How's Sweden?

My WAG is that they'd be used to keep boards flat during glue-up. The thing that puzzles me, is why they'd be so tall.
I also can't think of a way where they'd be useful in making meatballs.
One thing is for sure, you're not going to create a whole lot of clamping power.... so I think it is more to hold something rather than to clamp something.