What is going on here?

Page 2 of 3

"stealing" can also imply "taking something without paying for it".

It depends on your definition of "stealing", apparently. I see your point, I just don't agree that person A has to lose (thing) when person B takes it without paying.

fubir lbhe urnq onpx hc lbhe nff Qnil... lbh ybfg...lbh unir orra fubja nf gur sbby lbh ner ... jul abg whfg tb njnl naq pel n juvyr.

True, However libraries have a _special_ exemption *in*law*, for making copies for 'somebody else'.
[[.. munch ..]]

It can be argued that the person making the 'unauthorized' copy is "in possession" of the "intellectual property" of the copyright owner. Without the consent/permission of said owner. And/or that they have deprived the copyright owner of the "rightful" revenues that they would have received *if* the infringer had purchased a "legal" copy.
While the _legal_ definition of "theft" may not be satisfied by the above, either line of reasoning *is* in line with "common usage" interpretation of "stealing".
On a strictly legal basis, I suspect that "possession of stolen property, knowing it to be stolen" _could_ be used against a party who knowingly makes an 'unauthorized copy'.
Recent changes to copyright law provide for _criminal_ charges, as well as civil lawsuits.
The action of "publishing" those unauthorized copies in a public forum _does_ constitute the basis for a _criminal_ filing.
Robert Bonomi wrote: snip

I think th e Possession statute would apply more to those who d/l the files rather than the publisherer. How ever, since it is done over a medium that spans international spaces and the violations are ongoing, maybe the RICO laws could be applied. I guess we'll have to see what Gordon and his people can come up with.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Just because people do things wrong does not excuse wrong behavior. Illegal is illegal. Morally wrong (although a much more messy thing to define) is morally wrong. The wrong things are still wrong even though other people may do other things wrong. Boy - that's just about a profound sentence, isn't it? The fact is that is is equally proper to call anyone on the things they are doing wrong, and to be called on the things we each do wrong. Failure to provide that degree of accountability within a society creates chaos.

I must have missed something because I haven't seen anyone condoning any illegal activities.

That's fair to the extent that it should keep each person from getting up on a white horse, but not to the extent that it causes people to overlook wrongdoings. It's one thing to suggest one should not become judgmental of others, it's another thing completely to suggest that people should not call illegal activities for what they are.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

what he was posting was pictures. scans, specifically, of a woodworking magazine, in PDF format. they were totally on topic.
Dick Pewthers wrote:

Yes, I wish it wasn't yenc. rar I can deal with.
However I am sure many people are busy downloading it and putting it all together. I never thought shopnotes were that great though.
Dick, your crossposting.
Dick Pewthers wrote:

So are you.
Dang!
Leon wrote:

Dick Pewthers wrote:

What ruined it for me was the new Darren on Bewitched.
I was never the same again.
UA100

Y'know, I was thinking the same thing.
Vic
And to think, we were expected not to notice!
--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
Jeff P. wrote:

They tried the same switcheroo with the daughter on "Roseanne".
Like we're not paying attention!
Barry

They did? ;-)

Indeed. Kinda like Ritchie's brother Chuck on Happy Days.
Slowhand wrote:

And don't forget The Many Wives of Dean Johnson.
UA100
Yeah, that guy sure sleeps around.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Do you know anything about Patty and Cathy Duke? I mean they look just a bit too much alike, if you ask me.
And who ever heard of "identical cousins" anyhow?
Chuck Vance ("what a crazy pair")
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:41:54 -0600, Conan the Librarian

Everyone in West Virginia.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

It was the Brutus/Bluto change for me. Could be an age thing though. Bothers me to today. I am *NOT* OCD.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work