What is going on here?

Page 1 of 3
I came to a.b.p.w. to see pictures of completed projects from my fellow woodworkers. Instead, I get tons of Enc crap (whatever THAT is) and a bunch of computer geeks in a pissin' contest trying to outdo each other by throwing around nomenclature and acronyms. I am a woodworker, first, and a computer user by necessity. You egotistical, loudmouth, know-it-alls have absolutely RUINED it for me.
Dick Pewthers Austin, TX

awww.... poor wittle woodworker.....
it is called :alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking in any case. Why would we expect to see people discussing and showing pictures all could see with out having to become a ITT grad to understand how to view the file.
-- Log

so in your idea of a perfect world...everyone should conforn to the lowest common standard ....???????
sorry dude...ain't gonna happen

Plenty of pissin' contests here, too.
The posts in question are part of an e-book "flood" of Shop Notes magazine.
If you don't want to see them, filter them.
Easy enough.
Dick
Learn to use your computer and whatever newreader software you have. You can easily setup most newreaders to get just the headers/subject lines and then only grab what you are interested in. You can also setup KILLFILTERS to tell the newreader sotware to ignore a certain poster/etc.
Bottom line, get some education on USING your computer and this would NOT be a problem or hassle. Remain ignorant about using your computer and either quit visiting ABPW or put up with the off topic stuff. Choice is yours
John

John wrote:

Gotta be a troll.
Barry
Bear with it. The pissin' contest is due to a nit that wants to fill up the forum with some crap done via Outlook (Rich Text)instead of a news format capable product like OE (HTML).
Acronyms are just a type of shorthand like you used when you wrote "abpw".
--
PDQ --
| I came to a.b.p.w. to see pictures of completed projects from my fellow | woodworkers. Instead, I get tons of Enc crap (whatever THAT is) and a bunch | of computer geeks in a pissin' contest trying to outdo each other by | throwing around nomenclature and acronyms. I am a woodworker, first, and a | computer user by necessity. You egotistical, loudmouth, know-it-alls have | absolutely RUINED it for me. | | Dick Pewthers | Austin, TX | |
well, no...... not really. You don't understand, PDQ. ~~~~~
I think those posts are appropriate, it may be copyrighted mat'l, but you can't buy most of it anywhere. It has forced me to learn to use new software, increasing my skills. Much as I have learned new things in the shop. Now I can decode yenc files and compile .rar files.
Thanks, Krunchy.
-Dan V.

with some crap done via Outlook (Rich Text)instead of a news format capable product like OE (HTML).

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:20:12 -0500, Dan Valleskey <> wrote:

If they're in this group (my server filters out binaries where they don't belong), then they are in the wrong place regardless of the legal and ethical problems.

That's great. Watch out for viruses.
Just because something isn't being sold any more doesn't mean the work has been made public domain.
Dave Hinz wrote:

They're not. They are in a.b.p.w
"Dan Valleskey" <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Yeah because it suits you, disregard the law. Legally obtaining Shops Notes back issues is absolutely doable. Just send them the money.
I disagree. It is not an ebook newsgroup, but a PICTURE newsgroup to post pictures of furniture and woodenware. So Krunchy is abusing the newsgroup and should be posting elsewhere. Non-the-less, a filter easily removes it and no-thanks to Krunchy.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:20:12 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

with some crap done via Outlook (Rich Text)instead of a news format capable product like OE (HTML).

Should we just let >you< draw the line?
I thought this is a binary group. For woodworking. Were you complaining when others posted excel programs or tables for calculating miter and bevel cuts for crown moulding or segmented turnings?
Hmmmmm. Will you re-draw the line again because it is something you approve of? Such as drawings of shop layouts? Excel program for calculating angles on a multi sided box?
Phisherman wrote:

Come on man, the group is named "alt.binaries.PICTURES.woodworking". What Krunchy is posting is illegal. If you want to download it then fine, you do that, but don't try to justify his doing it. It is wrong. Plain and simple.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
I wouldn't know how to download it. If it's brokenup like that, I am too far behind. Granted, I do believe it is somewhat illegal. I also understand it is commonplace.
I hope everybody in the clucking hen party remembers their own sterling morals next time, and every time, they drive their car. Or loan out or receive on loan, a program. Or a book.
That is what I find so interesting here. How pure everybody is. And how eager they are to draw a line about which illegal activity is ok (because they do it) and which is not ok (because they don't do it). All without coming right out and saying why.
Why it's the stuff Sunday School stories are made of.
So yes everybody, look within, and see if you really should be picking up a rock.
Jeff P. wrote:

Driving a car, or loaning out materials, aren't violating intellectual property. When you loan someone a book, one license to have a copy of the book has been sold, and there continues to be only one copy of that book for that license. If you _photocopy_ the book, you have violated that. Libraries are covered for that under "fair use", by the way, for people copying a limited number of pages.

Because some of us make our living in a field where our output _is_ easily-stolen intellectual property and take it kind of personally.

I loathe and detest Microsoft, and I won't even steal from _them_.

I agree with you on principle but there is an important distiction here. Books are sold not licensed and are subject to the first sale doctrine which says in essence you may trade, sell or give away the original item provided you have not kept a copy for yourself.
If you _photocopy_ the book, you have

Another, fine but important point is that everyone, not just libraries, enjoys fair use rights.

A final fine point and I'm not advocating either in any way, but what he is doing is copyright infringement which by definition is not the same as stealing.

(snip much of mostly-agreeing)

Well, when someone is benefiting from the work of others, for a product which is supposed to be paid for and they're not paying for it, that's close enough to "stealing" for my definition.

Again, it's a fine point, but not the same. Stealing implies that you've been deprived of your property. In the case of copyright infringemnt, you've not been deprived of any property, but rather from the potential income that may have arisen from the sale or licensure of the intellectual property.     When someone steals your car, you no longer have a car. When someone infringes on the copyright on your (insert your choice of IP here) you still have your IP. You've simply lost some potential future revenue. Granted they are in many ways similar, and granted this is just an issue of semantics. but they are in fact different things.