What is best router for a table the DW621 or DW616

What is best router for a table the DW621 or DW616?

The difference between these 2 routers is one is made as a plunge the other is a 2 base. The 621 is VS Plunge 2.25 Hp the 616 is not VS and is 1.75 HP.

I will most likely use the router occasionally but mainly for trim work with the odd plunge facility(mortises and tenons some blind dados) . I will also use it in a table for most work for safety. What would I need the additional HP for and also what benefit would VS buy me. I know that the 621 has the best extraction system but I am concened about stability and its use in a table. I can fix the instability with an offset base and probably buy this whichever router I choose. What concerns me most is the cumbersome and unfriendly use of the 621 in a table. I am also concerned about chip extraction and with a table I can build my own extraction system.

Regards Mark

Reply to
marksrob

I prefer a plunge router in a table (makita 3612C)... Adjustment is much better, especially with an after market "fine adjuster (as from Lee Valley)". Some remove the springs to lessen the "load", but mine are still in place and work well. Tom

Reply to
Thomas H. Bunetta

I was looking at the Triton yesterday - boy, that's a heavy machine! Do you use another brand for hand use?

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan

The Triton Router is the best I have found by far for table use...

Regardless, if it was a choice between the two you mentioned, I'd probably go for the 621, not only because it is plunge, but because it is more powerful (very important for table use) and because it is variable speed. At some stage, you are going to want to spin a raised panel bit or something large. VS is essential when using larger bits (turn down the speed) otherwise you are going to run into problems, not to mention the danger a raised panel (or similar) bit is going to present spinning at 30,000RPM EEK!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

Woodcrafter

Yes I leave the Triton in the table permanently. Here is a review of the triton if you were interested:

have 2 routers for handheld use, a Ryobi and a GMC. Both relatively cheap but do the job for me.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

Woodcrafter

I love my shop-built one. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

You built your own ROUTER???? He asked which of two routers was best for table use.

Reply to
George

Damn! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

I would get the DW618

sells for only $10 more than the DW621 but gives you 1/4 HP more and includes fixed and plunge bases. The DW616 only has 1 1/4 HP and I would want to get the maximum HP I could afford if I was going to install the router in a table. I own the DW618 and I like it alot.

Jim

Jim Sharman

Oh, duh. "Blessed is he who can laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be amused." ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde