What is alt.woodworking?

Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?
Perhaps you should ask this question at alt.woodworking.

Maybe they don't want anyone asking questions, Fred.
Dave
Fred wrote:

LOL, Dave. I think my McAfee virus checker don't allow me posting to that group either.

Hell if I know, Fred. I didn't even know of it's existence. And now that I know about it, I STILL won't bother with a low-traffic NG.
Dave
Fred wrote:

Remember Vito?
Patriarch
yup. is AW his creation?
Dave
Patriarch wrote:

Actually my server has alt.woodworking.vito-kuhn

It's not filled with off-topic BS, or questions other than to do with woodworking?
Fred wrote:

I'm a little fuzzy on how newsgroups are created but the requisites for groups in the alt.heirarchy are less (maybe nonexistant) than in the other heirarchies. E.g. alt.chef.swedish.bork.bork.bork comes to mind.
So alt.heirarchy may have been created by someone who
1) Didn't know about rec.woodworking.
2) Had a newsfeed that did not carry rec.woodworking (maybe not any rec. gourps, but did carry alt. groups
3) was unhappy with rec.woodworking and so created his own alternate newsgroup.
In some cases there may be alt. groups that existed befor there was enough interest to create a group in one of the 'big five' heirarchies. NOt so for *.woodworking, rec.woodworking goes way, way back, back even before there was Nahrm.
--

FF

search page, much of the short and sordid story would become clear.
I have neither the interest or the perspective to try to explain the inexplicable. It's not so much about woodworking, as about the human personality, and the tendency of some individuals to want to control others, according to their rules.
That tends not to fly too well on Usenet.
Patriarch

It's a schismatic offshoot of free.uk.woodworking, only smaller.
Just ignore it.