What is a woodworker?

Someone wrote a blog at Lumberjocks.com about how non-woodworkers have all sorts of false assumptions about woodworkers. I thought it was a fun question, so I'm starting this thread here . I spend 10 times more time on this post than I did on my original reply.

Here was my original reply: "For me a woodworker is an artist, a designer, a craftsman, and an (old-school) engineer. The same could be said of a metalworker, except a woodworker primarily works with wood. Surely, every informed and thoughtful person has their own perspective."

It feels suffiently-grandiose to say I like woodworking because I appreciate developing or further developing my skills as an artist, a designer, a craftsman, and an (old-school) engineer. But something essential is still missing: Maybe some sort of pride, maybe something familial, maybe something else?

In one of my old books, I read recently that "long ago people adored/respected (worshipped?) the trees because they were from the sun and provided for fire". Yeah, maybe that's it--I like the solemness of that remark! : )

Have fun!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think it all depends on what kind of woodworking we do. My start in woodworking came about as a child invading my father's workshop.

At the age of eighteen, my woodworking advanced to the next step as a result of my being given full and completely free access to an empty basement under a store for a period of six to seven years. That was my first workshop and when I bought my first table saw. It was also at that time that I did a stint of five to six years as a contractor.

But, that's where my professional life in woodworking ended because of life changes. Since then, all my wood crafting has been as a hobbyist, building what I needed or wanted for myself and a few friends.

I've often considered what might have happened if those life changes hadn't occurred ~ I may have ended up doing a Leon or a Swingman type of woodworking, but I'm sort of glad I didn't. I've found more than once when I do something professionally, my enjoyment of it changes to a type of obligation. Currently, I like the woodworking I do. It's given me enjoyment throughout the years. I'd be disappointed if that like changed into something else.

Reply to
Dave

The only way to capture the broad spectrum of people who think of themselves as woodworkers is to say "a woodworker is anyone whom has altered wood in some manner."

Clearly there is a wide spectrum of skills and interests captured by that statement. For example, I recently encountered a guy who went on and on about the things he makes from wood. When I later saw photos of his stuff I thought it was the crates that his stuff was moved in... "rustic" would be a kind way of describing it. Of course my eye has been altered by my experiences. Reading things like Fine Woodworking, Woodwork, and other periodicals and books, and my affiliation with Northeastern Woodworkers Association where I've come to meet and know myriad professional and middling to high high end non-professionals, has given me a different eye... In no way do I feel that I know everything but I can fix my mistakes!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

yep,

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Same here. My wife wants me to consider this for a profession and get out of IT. But its the place I get enjoyment from. And if I get rid of that, then I have to find something else. And I wouldn't want to, I get a lot of enjoyment from building things, and sometimes not.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Well, not -just- hungry, *talented* too!

Reply to
Bill

A woodworker takes large pieces of wood and cuts them up into small pieces; then glues the small pieces together to make large pieces. Art

Reply to
Artemus

"Bill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com...

IMHO a woodworker is a person that works with wood. I have had the enormous pleasure and enjoyment of doing so for nigh on fifty years. It's a healthy craft, exercising mind and body. The offcuts (and c*ck-ups) help to warm the house in winter. For me working with wood is bloody good therapy, helps to relieve worries. Helps me to realise there is a real world, take a step back, and appreciate it. Most of all, I love to work with wood. To think of a project, think it out, design it, re-design it.....oh balls this would be better.... back to the drawing board. Make it and make it happen. See an item in use and get some little satisfaction from it. About thirty five years ago I was asked to take down a perfectly healthy English oak that stood 70ft tall. This because it was in the way of a development and for no other reason. I did so and even whilst doing so I thought that I should not be doing this. I retained all the timber, had it sawn and used it for making stuff for the benefit of local hospitals, hospices, charities etc. Still have a few bits left, and they are treasured. Since then I have grown hardwood saplings from seed every year. These are planted out on my on ground and in local amenity areas (parks, playgrounds, hospitals etc) at no cost. I think I have planted about 3000 so far. I'm not going to live long enough to see the benefits of these but my children may and their children probably will. Unless of course some idiot with a chainsaw comes along.

That is but one of the reasons why I love working with wood. It makes me think outside the (wooden) box.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

fun show I saw the other day. On the program, they showed the appraiser inspecting the merchandise, and telling how Finster was a preacher, and made the furniture for fun, then quit preaching and did it for a living. He then went on to do the artwork on several major recording artists album covers in the 60's. Guess one does not have to make massive cabinets that sell for $1350 when you can make $1350 worth of doll furniture with just the scraps.

I work with metal. Have welded since 1974. I have work at Hoover Dam that will be there for 100 years or more. I have made several objects d' art that I'm not sure where they are. Several commercial projects still stand in Las Vegas of mine. I just went and inspected a property that had some welding I did 22 years ago, and it looked mighty fine still.

I think there's no real definitive answer to what is a ****worker, whatever

**** is to you. It's just someone who likes to make things with their hands, and let a little part of their brain show to the public.

Wood, metal, paintings, whatever, there's stuff I like, and stuff that I wouldn't spend a dime on. And that has no relation to the real retail value of the object or not.

To me, a lot of time, it's just about having fun, building stuff I can't buy, and being able to stand back, and when people ask, I can say, "I built it."

Then there's the time I can get away to the containers, me and the dogs, crank up the old tunes, and escape all the politics, SWMBO, and reality. If only for a short while.

$.02 from the cheap seats

Steve

Reply to
Steve B