What is a good 1/4 inch veneer substrate?

I plan on making my first frame and panel door and am wondering what a good substate for the veneered panel would be.

How about masonite?

Reply to
brian_j_roth

MDF is probably one of the best veneer substrates. Good flat surface for gluing. Good dimensional stability If you're going to need to attach fasteners (e.g. screws) to a substrate, then a good baltic birch/finnish birch ply is usually my preference. my 2 cents

Gary A in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

For strength, probably "real" Baltic Birch plywood.

Reply to
Leon

Lately I am having a rough time finding any 'real' Baltic birch that is flat. One of the last 5'x5' BB sheets I received could have been made into a bird bath. I sent it back. My supplier assures me that the problem is industry wide from the same people who supplied him for the last 20 years.

10 flat sheets..then 2 bad ones... very inconsistent. And the PRICE of that stuff... what?.. Bentley opened a dealership in Finland?
Reply to
Robatoy

What kind of strength do you need in a floating panel? (I'm not being a smartass.)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Masonite is fine. Assuming you can find it with two smooth sides rather than one smooth, other screened.

Reply to
dadiOH

Lately I am having a rough time finding any 'real' Baltic birch that is flat. One of the last 5'x5' BB sheets I received could have been made into a bird bath. I sent it back. My supplier assures me that the problem is industry wide from the same people who supplied him for the last 20 years.

10 flat sheets..then 2 bad ones... very inconsistent. And the PRICE of that stuff... what?.. Bentley opened a dealership in Finland?

Unfortunately you probably are not getting true Baltic Birch. I can ask for it all day long and never get it, although it is sold as such. Many will admit that they sell Russian Birch. Typically the real thing it does not have fuzzy edges or surfaces, remember? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Every once in a while a door becomes a punching bag or gets in the way of a flying object. Masonite or MDF will not take a blow like BB will. I always consider what could happen and how much trouble it would be to replace it.

Reply to
Leon

Just exactly what do you guys do in Texas kitchens?

Reply to
Robatoy

You don't let the horses in?

Reply to