What I learning this weekend!

Well finally got around to cutting the 3/4 x 4 x 8 oakply for my bookcase project.

The good:-thanks all for the suggestions 1- straight edge and circular works great for cutting to size.

The bad: 2- miter on my TS doesn't work well for cutting length down to size.

What I did: I'm in the process making a cross-cut sled with the dimensions of about

18" x 30" using both miter slots in TS table. So the question is, is there a way to check the calibration of the sled I made. If I cut a straight piece of scrap and then flip it over and cut again, and then measure the width. If they are the same over the full length... does that mean I'm square?

regards

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck wrote: So the question is, is there a

Make a cut in a test piece. Flip one piece over front to back and put it next to the other piece again. Any errors in the cut angle will be doubled and should be obvious. If that looks good, it's square.

Reply to
WoodMangler

Measure diagonally to the corners. The measurements should equal. If not, the sides are not square.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

The way that I square a sled fence is to:

  1. attach runners to sled base and get them moving smoothly (trim/wax/cuss)
  2. Cut most of the kerf for a double-runner sled or cut the edge off a one-sided sled
  3. Use a known-good square to set the fence square to the kerf/edge.

The fence will be just about as good as your square.

Before attaching your fence is a good time to test your square using the flip aling a known straight edge test.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M