What I learned about Zebrawood this week

Besides learning all about how spiral upcut bits can climb out of router collets.
Zebrawood is *expensive*.
Zebrawood must be the worst wood in the world to surface -- tearout is the terrible. The alternating grain makes it impossible to surface with a planer or hand planes, save maybe for a scraper plane, which I do not have. I believe the white and brown stripes are alternating sapwood and heartwood. However it can be surfaced quite easily, relatively speaking, using a hand scraper, with which I now have much experience.
Cutting cross grain on the table saw also leads to unacceptable tearout unless you provide sacrificial backing boards on the bottom and back, at least in my experience.
It glues up with no problems using TB3. I worried about how well it would take screws, but when I predrilled carefully I had no problems.
After finishing with five coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly it looks fantastic, giving the appearance of sedimentary rock such as sandstone.
Here are some shots of the tabletop alone, and attached to a small table with tapered black walnut legs and curly maple aprons.
http://web.mac.com/heuring/Site/Photos.html
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

snipped-for-privacy@forethought.net wrote:

Yes, it does. Nice work. Very nice. I might steal that idea some time.

--
Regards,
Steal away. Zebrawood is an experience.

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Vince Heuring wrote:

Do a google news search for zebrawood and Patrick Olguin (or try O'deen or Odeen) -- he had similar experience. His account is quite humorous to read.

I miss O'deens posts.
jc
<snip>

I bet many of us do! Tom