What I Got For Christmas Thread

Page 2 of 3

Yep, the very same Muhlenburg county, Lorreta Lynn country. Peabody and all. Paradise is now the site of one of the biggest power generators around. It's a big old coal burner too. From the hills here you can see 4 power plants along the Green River.
Goodnight Tom,
Tom in KY, I sleep too, about 4-6 hours a night (and maybe an hour in the afternoon if Sandy hasn't got me busy.)

When going to EE school, we learned about Big Alice. 1350 MW on a single shaft. ( 1,800,000 HP!!!)(Thank God we got away from that crazy way of thinking, you'd need THREE big generators to make up for her dropping off line. Nobody wanted to pay for that kind of potential sitting there idling.. waiting for Alice to poop her pants.) Alice was a cute form of Allison Chalmers (IIRC). She belonged to the TVA. Would that be her?
Robatoy wrote:

I have no idea, I believe that there are several generators there. Up until last year, you could look South when traveling West on the Western Ky Parkway, just before you got into Muhlenburg county and you could see two of the biggest falic symbols around. Two big old Peabody draglines sitting on top of a hill. The booms all up in the air and facing different directions. Paradise generator behind them. An appropriate monument to the heyday of the coal industry that put Muhlenburg county on the map. Well, They put one of them back into service and I don't know where the other one went.
John Prine, I didn't even think of anyone other than Loretta Lynn when I saw Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenburg county. There are still pretty girls there with coal black hair and snow white skin, and eyes of every color :-)
Tom in KY, Sacramento, (BIG CITY) pop. 650.
[snipped for brevity]

That'd be our friend John Prine:
Paradise
When I was a child my family would travel Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born And there's a backwards old town that's often remembered So many times that my memories are worn.
Chorus: And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
Well, sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River To the abandoned old prison down by Adrie Hill Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.
Repeat Chorus:
Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.
Repeat Chorus:
When I die let my ashes float down the Green River Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin' Just five miles away from wherever I am.
Repeat Chorus:
(Got some fine photographs of the Mallet Locomotives from those coal trains... if those pictures don't want you to become an engineer.....)

Stop it, you're making me homesick. I remember fishing on Taylorsville Lake with my Dad one morning about 20 years ago. It was about 30 minutes after daylight but a light fog was still on the water. We were in a large, calm bay where we were catching bass on Pop Rs. On a hill covered in broom sedge above us a beagle was running a rabbit.
Dad turned around from the front seat of the Bass Tracker, grinned and said, "Don't you wonder what Jesus is doing with the boys he doesn't love this morning?" Yeah, I know the theology maybe isn't correct, but the sentiment was sure right on. Dad is 81 and still fishes Taylorsville.
The bass are bigger here in Florida but I miss fishing with Dad.
Dick "doesn't miss going to the barn to milk in freezing weather" Durbin Tallahassee
Olebiker wrote:

Taylorsville is good. Many people from Louisville and Lexington area fish there and have fond memories of Fishing and Big Fun.

Yep, Your trade-off sounds pretty worthy. Have you had your Dad down to Florida yet? Maybe he could bring you a cow and put ice down your pants while you try to milk :-)
Tom in the Promised Lan,,,,KY.
<sniperoo>

Aw, c'mon, gotta have some fun! Youthful memories . . . crawling out from between the nice warm flannel sheets, getting bundled up by the kitchen cookstove, wading through the snow to the barn. Step in between a couple cows, they proceed to lean together, make a nice warm sandwich with you in the middle. If your hands are cold, just tuck them in between the udder & their back leg, toasty warm!
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Yes I do.
And I envy you both your rod and reel.
I have a "White River" which I believe to be a Chinese knockoff off an Orvis small reel.
It works well enough - it certainly works better than I do.
In the small streams of Pennsyltucky where I fish, it's the line, more than the reel, or even the rod, that tells the tale.
I have a fat forward line from Orvis that shoots into pocket water very well.
Got afast action eight footer that helps out also.
The fish are small but the fun is big.
Good onya, BobS.
Further Away Than Yesterday http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Well maybe we'll meet on a stream down there one of these day's Tom. I'll be the short guy bobbing up 'n down in the water waving like crazy as I go by cause my waders just got filled...;-)
Now a real wood-fishin-dorker would probably be telling us that a bamboo (4/6 strip) rod is the only way to go and that the ugly sticks we're using are scaring the trout away... Now that's something I would love to try and make. You're right about the line Tom when it comes to small streams - the rod 'n reel are just along for the ride. To that end, I picked up some Cortland "Sylk" to use on my 4wt rod/reel. I've heard good things about that line and hey, it's only half the cost of a WWII blade !
Happy New Year to ya all,
Bob S.

Used to be a company in Toledo, OH called Netcraft. DAGS.
Bob S wrote:

OK, this almost becomes a gloat. SWMBO got me the Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with riser block and mobile base. Mom got me the PC 4212 Dovetail Jig. SWMBO followed it up with "The Workbench Book" by Lon Schleining. Definitely nothing to whine about!
DJ

Yer gonna love it!(the G0555)
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Got a gift certificate to Lie-Nielsen from SWMBO. Funny thing is she had meant it to be to Lee Valley. =o ) Lie-Nielsen's is just a short trip from here and I've meant to stop in and look around. Think I'll use part of my Christmas bonus on a trip to Lee Valley's web site. Perhaps a Talon chuck for my lathe.
Happy New Year All, Lenny http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/Work http://www.geocities.com/lenhow /

I got two plaid flannel shirts. Both fit. One non-plaid (?). That fits, too.
What else does a woodworker need?

Uh, pants?
"George" wrote in message

... and since he's heading in that direction with the plaid - a tool belt like Norm's to complete the picture.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

santa was good this year! got a powermatic 20" planer and a 180 dollar gift certificate at woodcraft. the gift certificate was part of a sales promotion for buying the planer i think. but SWMBO just gave me the certificate instead of tryin to spend it for me. bless her heart! also got a lamello top 20 biscuit joiner. she gave that to me a few weeks early cause my old pc let the magic smoke out in the middle of a christmas project for her parents. hehe... i love christmas.
skeez
I surprised myself with a set of 20 inch Dispoz-A-Blade knives for my Grizzly 20 inch planer. I also threw in a set of cobalt blades. I felt I was worth it. <G>
Frank