What I Got For Christmas Thread

"Daddy, won't you take me down to Muhlenburg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lays

I'm sorry my Son but you're to late in askin' Mr. Peabody's Coal Train done hauled it away..."

(from a tune that I used to sing when I was a young man - now I am old and tired - and must go to sleep - good night, my friend)

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Yep, the very same Muhlenburg county, Lorreta Lynn country. Peabody and all. Paradise is now the site of one of the biggest power generators around. It's a big old coal burner too. From the hills here you can see

4 power plants along the Green River.

Goodnight Tom,

Tom in KY, I sleep too, about 4-6 hours a night (and maybe an hour in the afternoon if Sandy hasn't got me busy.)

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Stop it, you're making me homesick. I remember fishing on Taylorsville Lake with my Dad one morning about 20 years ago. It was about 30 minutes after daylight but a light fog was still on the water. We were in a large, calm bay where we were catching bass on Pop Rs. On a hill covered in broom sedge above us a beagle was running a rabbit.

Dad turned around from the front seat of the Bass Tracker, grinned and said, "Don't you wonder what Jesus is doing with the boys he doesn't love this morning?" Yeah, I know the theology maybe isn't correct, but the sentiment was sure right on. Dad is 81 and still fishes Taylorsville.

The bass are bigger here in Florida but I miss fishing with Dad.

Dick "doesn't miss going to the barn to milk in freezing weather" Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

I got two plaid flannel shirts. Both fit. One non-plaid (?). That fits, too.

What else does a woodworker need?

Reply to
Charles Self

Uh, pants?

Reply to
George

gift certificate at woodcraft. the gift certificate was part of a sales promotion for buying the planer i think. but SWMBO just gave me the certificate instead of tryin to spend it for me. bless her heart! also got a lamello top 20 biscuit joiner. she gave that to me a few weeks early cause my old pc let the magic smoke out in the middle of a christmas project for her parents. hehe... i love christmas.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Taylorsville is good. Many people from Louisville and Lexington area fish there and have fond memories of Fishing and Big Fun.

Yep, Your trade-off sounds pretty worthy. Have you had your Dad down to Florida yet? Maybe he could bring you a cow and put ice down your pants while you try to milk :-)

Tom in the Promised Lan,,,,KY.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

I surprised myself with a set of 20 inch Dispoz-A-Blade knives for my Grizzly 20 inch planer. I also threw in a set of cobalt blades. I felt I was worth it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

... and since he's heading in that direction with the plaid - a tool belt like Norm's to complete the picture.

Reply to
Swingman

Well maybe we'll meet on a stream down there one of these day's Tom. I'll be the short guy bobbing up 'n down in the water waving like crazy as I go by cause my waders just got filled...;-)

Now a real wood-fishin-dorker would probably be telling us that a bamboo (4/6 strip) rod is the only way to go and that the ugly sticks we're using are scaring the trout away... Now that's something I would love to try and make. You're right about the line Tom when it comes to small streams - the rod 'n reel are just along for the ride. To that end, I picked up some Cortland "Sylk" to use on my 4wt rod/reel. I've heard good things about that line and hey, it's only half the cost of a WWII blade !

Happy New Year to ya all,

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S

I got a dog kit. Yep, everything but the dog... but I guess that's coming soon. Think I'll name him Ketchup.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Yer gonna love it!(the G0555)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Aw, c'mon, gotta have some fun! Youthful memories . . . crawling out from between the nice warm flannel sheets, getting bundled up by the kitchen cookstove, wading through the snow to the barn. Step in between a couple cows, they proceed to lean together, make a nice warm sandwich with you in the middle. If your hands are cold, just tuck them in between the udder & their back leg, toasty warm!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I got another Tom Watson morph to killfile. Could you stop doing that, please?

Oh, and a LV low angle block plane (how sweet it is!), and volume 3 of the Looney Toons Golden Collection. And sweaters... Thanks, mom! Oh, and a Stimpy plush doll from my daughter. "Duh... They don't call me 'Stupid' for nuttin'."

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

PLONK !!!

HEE-Hee-heeeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy
[snipped for brevity]

That'd be our friend John Prine:

Paradise

When I was a child my family would travel Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born And there's a backwards old town that's often remembered So many times that my memories are worn.

Chorus: And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Well, sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River To the abandoned old prison down by Adrie Hill Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.

Repeat Chorus:

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Repeat Chorus:

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin' Just five miles away from wherever I am.

Repeat Chorus:

(Got some fine photographs of the Mallet Locomotives from those coal trains... if those pictures don't want you to become an engineer.....)

Reply to
Robatoy

When going to EE school, we learned about Big Alice.

1350 MW on a single shaft. ( 1,800,000 HP!!!)(Thank God we got away from that crazy way of thinking, you'd need THREE big generators to make up for her dropping off line. Nobody wanted to pay for that kind of potential sitting there idling.. waiting for Alice to poop her pants.) Alice was a cute form of Allison Chalmers (IIRC). She belonged to the TVA. Would that be her?
Reply to
Robatoy
[snip]

I was blessed with a Milwaukee shop radio..and an MP3 player to feed it. The external antenna pulls in NPR Detroit just fine. The spurious noise rejection in FM isn't that great, but then again, I don't they worried about that when they designed a radio that can survive to be kicked off a fu*cking scaffold?

Reply to
Robatoy

:) Grizzly Oscillating sander here. Nice machine!

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Sad tale but true: I got a notice from the IRS that I owed an additional $3553 on my 2004 taxes and my property tax bill for my house for $1860 on the thursday before Christmas.

What ever happened to the days when a lump of coal in your stocking was the worst you could expect?

Did I say Bah Humbug or Bah Government?

Ken

Reply to
Ken