What has happened to OSB?

Page 3 of 3
Nope ... I made no comparison between the subject "higher prices" and anything else...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Two days ago when I went to the local Lowes to pick up 5 sheets of roof sheathing... Wow! $17.00 a sheet!
Greg
Hope it didn't run out on the floor right there! ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

No, it was contained by my FTLs... The verbal spewage, however, was another matter...
P.S. - Thanks again for the morticing bits... I have used them enough for the crappy Chinese Delta DP350 drill press to chunk a pulley... ugghhh...
Greg
LOL ... You're welcome, Greg. I am glad you could use them.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

I ran into a similiar problem on a remodel. The client wanted osb behind the sheetrock so he would have meat to screw displays to. Thinking osb would be a good buy, I (without checking prices) quoted him a price based on $7/sheet. Imagine my horror when I actually went to pick the osb up at the lumber yard - $26/sheet. CDX was $28/sheet! I quickly decided another approach would be taken. I calmly asked the attendant how much their cheapest 1/2" plywood was. They told me that shop grade was running a cool $13/sheet. I needed only 5 sheets so I bit the bullet. When I went back to load it up, the first 20 something sheets were an AC reject for shop price. I loaded it all plus the 5 sheets of actuall shop grade and kindly payed the attendent. So it's somewhat of a gloat I guess. Sorry for the long story. SH
What happened to this post? Could it have anything to do with the Trade issues with Canada and their soft wood lumber products? With less product going out the border here it sure has affected prices.
John

John wrote:

Well it dropped in the Portland OR area a little bit in the last week. It's now about $13-$14 at the local HD, down almost $4 from two weeks ago.
I've been watching the OSB prices with some interest, as we're getting ready to start construction on a new house this spring. The reasons I've heard for the price jump are:
1) Suppliers cut back production anticipating construction slowdown that has not occured thanks to the low interest rates.
2) US Gov bought up a huge supply to help rebuild Iraq.
3) Georgia Pacific OSB mill burned down, further contributing to the supply shortage.
I have no idea if these rumors are true, but they are being talked up in many circles. If true it would indicate a "perfect storm" leading to the high prices of late. Like all storms though, this one should blow through given time.
Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA
P.S. We're actually planning to use plywood on the roof and floor decks, but may use OSB on the vertical surfaces. I live in an area where rain is likely during the framing stage, and I'm nervous about water sitting on the OSB. I haven't looked lately, but I'd assume if OSB is sky-high, plywood has taken a price jump as well as builders look for alternatives.