What has happened to McFeeleys

Page 4 of 4
On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:26:07 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

After my recent unsatisfactory experience with Spax, I decided that they do have their use, but I can't carry a hardware store of different screws wit h me. I need a good, strong, 3 - 3 1/4" screw, and when I saw the Spax at 3 1/4' (or something close) I bit. They are OK, and when in a place where I can get over the screws they are great.
For what I do, they are OK. But I now have about 250 or so of them, and wi ll use them all since I found that the sell the genuine Spax driver separat ely for about a buck and a half.
After that, off to Fastenal, or like Lew said, Jamestown. Many years ago, I think at Lew's suggestion, I bought a bunch of all stainless screw for a large commercial repair. They were excellent quality, and in the end, I di dn't care about the price since I was so pleased with the product.
Robert

Wow Thanks Robert. I already forgot that a lot of the Spax screws use the Torx Plus drive. That alone is a problem for me. The older Fein Multimasters use that drive and I find I have to be deliberate when inserting the wrench, not like square drive. And that is with the wrench in my hand going relatively straight in. With a screw you seldom start straight and the bit is 8~10" from your hand.
Kim almost pulled the trigger for me when she saw the Spax/Festool screw assortment, 1300 screws with Festool Systainer. Really a good deal.
Anyway don't let your Spax screw experience detour you from all Spax. I don't use many Spax screws but HD carries Spax Lag Screws. They have the expected hex head that you put a common wrench or socket on and they are much higher quality and stronger than the common lag screw. I used them to hang my lumber rack on the wall. I did not want to break a 5" lag screw.
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 8:44:02 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Exactly my problem. I encountered this when trying to attach a runner unde r a cabinet that was wet for some time, then the "legs" of the carcass bega n to rot. With a new marble top going on and me unable to remove the cabin ets without tearing up the wall treatments, I decided to get my butt face d own on the floor and reach under the cabinets to attach new legs/runners wh en the kick was off. This became a project unto itself, with me resorting to starting the screw on the 2x4, then positioning it, and finally driving the screw.
Not a chance.
After a about a half hour of wrestling with them, I went out to the truck a nd got some square drive, galvanized screws that were on plastic tape for a screw gun. Problem solved. Spax, back in the tool box.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Spax for a specific job or purpose, but I want u tility type screws for my everyday repairs. I often find myself reaching i nside framing structures, inside walls, and generally in tight places where I can't be right over the work with the driver nearly perpendicular to the work. I saw those whopper Spax screws... impressive.
When I finally get to Fastenal, I will let you know if I find something for general utility use.
Robert

I went to a local Fastenal yesterday looking for #6, 5/8" washer or pan head screws. No luck. Odd screw anyway.
I finally ended up finding the online catalog on the McFeeley web site, thanks to J.Clarke. I found what I needed and ordered. I did order 1,000 of the Spax #6, 5/8", pan head, self taping, combo screws. Those are only supposed to be square and Phillips. We'll see.
I tried Quick Screws. An order of 1000 similar screws was about $18. +$2 handling + $12.95 shipping. I passed. McFeeleys was only $8.95 for shipping. Ended up being a couple of dollars cheaper with a #1 square drive bit for the Spax screws and 100, 1-1/8 washer head screws for attaching drawer fronts.
Unfortunately HD does not carry much of what I need so I try to buy in bulk on every project screws.
On another note the last box of "deck" screws that I bought, about 3 years ago I was not pleased. What ever brand Lowe's sells with the star bit drive and yellow color. I built a small porch/deck for our storage shed and I would say that 5~8 screws have broken several months after being driven. The same screws were used inside the shed for shelving with no issues. The boards that had the broken screws warped, so I am sure that is why the screws broke but damn those screws were being used exactly for what they were intended. Other brand replacement screws pulled the boards back down into position and are doing fine up to this point.
Concerning the cool deal at Highland Hardware, the Festool box with the 1,300 Spax screws, I verified that they were all combo and not torx. BUT all were flat head and I seldom use that screw any more. I steer more towards washer head and pan head screws, when I use them. The Kreg screws are pretty darn good for most any use.

FWIW the Festool/Spax screw assortment from Highland has all combo/Philips heads according to a rep.
This is a great deal but I really don't use flat top screws anymore these days. ;~(

We can't have that attitude around here. It causes butthut ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I use Spax mostly for when I need something to withstand sheer force and has has a smaller head/will be plugged or out of sight. And yes, best to use their included driver bit if you want good results.
For installing side by side cabinet runs I've had good luck with FastCap cabinet screws; and they can fitted with a plastic cap for appearance if necessary.
The 1 1/4 size and that big head insure they will not penetrate two layers of 3/4" plywood casework
I carry two sizes of these in the truck:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff?noredirect=1#5703874944464528402
Mostly filled with #8 square drive screws from Circle Saw here in Houston. Also buy Rockler for those cases where I'm sure they will not twist off (have learned to pre-drill the longer Rockler screws in hardwoods to be safe).
Except for Spax, drywall and deck screws, I rarely buy any screw from the Borgs.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Leon" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ Check out Jamestown Distributors.
Excellent marine supplier.
May be a tad expensive.
Lew
On 9/21/2015 4:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I found Quick Screws. They beat the hell out of McFeeleys on price but limited selection. I'll take a look at Jamestown.
Expensive is an inexpensive screw that breaks. ;~)
Thanks Lew.
On 9/21/2015 11:48 AM, Leon wrote:

O! M! G!
I found Festool Screws! ;~)
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-systainer-1-box-with-1300-spax-screws.aspx
On 9/21/2015 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

The original McFeelys had a wealth of information too. Gone. All sorts of information on selecting the proper screw is nowhere to been seen these days.
says...

I just read through the online catalog and it's mostly there. The catalog remains a pain though, however once it downloads it seems to stay downloaded.

I have a 2015 catalog that came along with my last order (I forget whether I checked something to request a catalog).
--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened