What has happened to McFeeleys

Page 3 of 4
On 9/28/2015 12:24 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Sure, I've heard that nonsense before. I'd bet that at least one in 200 are bad, or, is it the other way around?
Mine of course was the best. I know because she was really, really expensive. I happily gave her away though, no goats but a deal is a deal. She says in 9 days she's promoting me to a GF, we'll see how that goes.
--
Jack
On 9/29/2015 7:12 AM, Jack wrote:

Girl Friend??? LOL
Congratulations! I'm hoping our son eventually settles down, gets married, and begins working on grand kids.
On 9/28/2015 11:08 AM, Jack wrote:

ROTFL
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 9:37:21 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

Isn't there typically an exchange of the item that was tendered when the bid is accepted/won?
I give you my goats, you give me your daughters.
How do you give someone "years of service" if that is the "tender" offered?
"I have 20 years of service, Jack only has 15, so I win the bid for that primo job. I'll deliver my 20 years of service by noon tomorrow."
It still sounds like a "ordered choice" based on some criteria, not a "bid".
On 9/28/2015 12:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You are using a very narrow definition, but a bid does not have to involve money. See #3 below. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bid noun : an offer to pay a particular amount of money for something
: an offer to do a job for a particular price
: an attempt to win, get, or do something
With that, I bid you adieu.

A word is defined by the way it is used. The OED folks wrote a big huge book based on that premise.
In this case the normal usage for the job selection process in a union enviroment is "bid". Regardless of what you may think the definition of "bid" is, by virtue of a century or more of common usage "bid" now includes "enter into competition for a position, role, or job" amoung it's meanings.
John
On 9/27/2015 2:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That always seemed strange to me, winning an auction. Are you really a winner when you agree to pay more for something than anyone else was willing to pay? ;~) Seems to me the seller is the winner.

least) two winners. Both want what they don't have more than what they do.

On 9/27/2015 10:24 AM, krw wrote:

I understand the principal. But there should be a better term.
It is not unusual for an auction to have identical items, literally.
The first auction bidder "wins" with a bid of $400. The second auction bidder "wins" with a bid of $300.
Who was the winner? The second for paying less for the exact same thing or the first for paying more? It would seem that the first winner clearly paid $100 too much.
I realize that it is more like a race to the finish, who lasts the longest in the bidding. Really more so than paying more than anyone else was willing to pay, especially when common items are "won" for more than that what they could have been had for at a local store.

Or the second seller got $100 too little. Really, it's a bad way to look at life. Yeah, I too get pangs when something goes on sale the day after I buy, but that's life. It was worth what I paid when I paid.

Well, that's the point of an auction. ;-) Still, to the sap, the widget was simply worth more than it was to anyone else. Yes, that's one reason I really don't like auctions.
I'm not good at estimating the worth of used stuff. I'd rather buy new, even if it does cost a little more. There's also the issue of not knowing if the widget is functional.
On 9/25/2015 2:36 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Yep, and in a nutshell why we see such mediocre performance from entities where jobs are based on politics instead of market forces.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

The thing I found savior in was the old adage that the price was subject to change according to the customers attitude. Usually the difficult ones wanted change orders. I ofen felt like a rented mule even working for myself as it's always your ass on the line.
Mike M

No, they don't. They use numbers to justify what they're going to do anyway. BTW, the CBO, by law, uses static scoring. Hate to break it to them but the world is quite dynamic.
On 9/21/2015 2:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Exactly, thank goodness I had a part number. After 30 minutes I got tired of hunting.

On 09/21/2015 11:48 AM, Leon wrote:

Haven't had any recent need so no direct contact suggestion.
I did look at the McF web site; it appears to be using the same package at the Grainger site. Not terribly surprising once the Grainger accounting folks got McFeely fully integrated.
As for the question specifically, I'd probably use the "live chat" or contact tech support by (gasp!) actually dialing the phone and see how it goes when ask for the specific product. That'll probably immediately tell you whether it's time to switch vendors or they're still capable _despite_ corporate.

On 9/21/2015 2:36 PM, dpb wrote:

I tried the live chat. I waited 5 minutes for every response and each seemed to be referring me to click on something that did not exist. And then the responses were so illiterate that I think Hodgi was doing the typing.
I hate calling. I would rather browse.
That'll probably immediately

I do believe it is time.
On 9/21/2015 3:36 PM, dpb wrote:

Oh really? That explains alot. Grainger is one of the worst sites. I think all the hard goods guys. Enco, MSC... they suck too.
--
Jeff

On 9/21/2015 3:36 PM, dpb wrote:

I used to buy from Grainger a couple of times a month, the old fashioned way over the phone. At some point both Grainger an McMaster put up web sites. I hate using the Granger web site and order maybe once a year. McMaster is easy to use and gets 99% of the business..
@swbelldotnet says...

??? There's a picture of a cell phone about a third of the way down on the right side of the main page and next to it "ANYWHERE ANY DEVICE CATALOG" that, when you click it, opens a catalog. It's a crappily implemented catalog that seems to take forever and a day to load a page and gives the impression that it's nothing but blank pages until you let it sit for a while, but it _is_ a catalog.

I haven't ordered screws in quite some time, however the last time I did I think it was from Highland Hardware. If I needed some right now I'd probably try the Fastenal down the street. McMaster of course has just about anything.
On 9/21/2015 4:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I use their chat and the "who ever" indicated to look for a telephone. I never found it.
Now I found it. I saw that and thought it was an app. thank you.

I'll look at Highland and Fastenal. I tried McMaster and was unsuccessful. Strangely enough.