What has happened to McFeeleys

Page 2 of 4
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 9:10:58 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Amen, brother!
I have several folks in my social group that work for the government, and t he way they describe the waste (explained to me as , "since when is providi ng jobs/employment a waste?") for people that do nothing is incredible.
One has a govt job that has a section of about 45 people. There is so litt le work that they actually bid on the work to be done against their fellow employees, and then the folks that don't bid have nothing to do. They are written up if they have 3 months in a row with little or no production, but since they are only making about $60K a year each, the govt doesn't fuss t hat much over the small potatoes.
Robert

Found out the other day, talking to a new mail carrier, that this is how the USPS is awarding carrier jobs in the area.
Current employee's actually bid on available routes.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Nothing odd there, that's how union jobs are usually handled. Airlines, railroads, post office, they all work that way.
John
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 10:54:47 AM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

Man... I am so out of touch with the rest of the world sometimes. I have b een self employed for over thirty years now and it never has occurred to me (except in a cigar smoke and whiskey induced pleasant dream) of being able to pick and choose my work or how hard I would like to work that week or m onth. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine being very well paid and then g etting to decide what I wanted to do and how hard I wanted to work.
I never worked for anyone that gave me a choice, either. I was paid a wage about 40+ years ago, then have worked for myself or on commission only for the rest of the time. I am amazed at the concept of 3 week plus vacations , 10 days paid sick/personal time a year, and all kinds of other things tha t go on in the workplace now as nearly a case of American Civil Rights.
When I started in the trades in the 70s, I worked for a very progressive gu y that let us have 1 week vacation (unheard of for trades people then)that was UNPAID. No sick days. He worked all of us like rented mules, and if w e didn't like it that was fine. You could always quit. Or get fired. His hourly pay was low, but we had a ton of overtime weekly, he paid time and a half, and his checks never bounced.
I could never in a million years imagine approaching that mean old hard cas e from Jasper, Texas to tell him I wanted to bid on the work I was interest ed in.
Gawd, I feel like a dinosaur.
Robert

OK, I think you're misunderstanding how this works. There's a set number of jobs (postal routes, whatever), that matches the number of workers. Guys bid on which one they want. The bidder with highest seniority wins. Typically, the new guy ends up with the least desirable job - worst hours, least overtime, grouchiest customers or whatever. Then they work that job every day until something changes (a new route is added, or something), then everyone bids again.
I can use my buddy at the railroad as an example. Last time they rearranged jobs and everyone had to rebid, he had two he bid on (he's in the middle of the seniority rank, so no point bidding on the best jobs). One was a day job that usually worked 8 hours, the other went on at 3am but usually got a couple hours overtime each day. A lot of guys wouldn't bid the 3am job, even tho it paid better, because of the hours. My buddy actually likes working nights, so he was pleased to win that job.
John
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 3:38:24 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

Could you define "bid" this context? Does it simply mean "choose"?
There's a list of jobs and you choose from what's left when it's your turn, based on your seniority rank, right?
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 03:43:24 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Yes, it seems that "choose" is a better term, here. If it were a "bid" one would say "I'll do that job for $xx,xxx per year.", or some such.

Not exactly. There's a list of jobs, and everyone bids at the same time. Highest seniority guy bidding on a particular job wins it.
If you don't win the job you bid on, you stay in your current job, unless someone with higher seniority bid on it. If that happens you get a "roll", and you get to pick from the jobs held by lower seniority guys. That propagates down the chain until everyone is in a job.
It sounds like it could get messy, but in practice everyone knows their seniority, and which jobs different people like, so guys just bid the job they know they'll get. Pretty much the only thing that scrambles it up is when an older guy decides to move from a job with lots of overtime to one with fewer hours (because he doesn't need the money and wants to take it easy for the his few years). Then you have a high seniority guy bidding on what's usually a low seniority job, and a low seniority guy might end up in the primo job if he's the only one who took a chance bidding on it.
(note - I've never actually worked that sort of union job, so this is based on how I understand what my buddy at the railroad has explained)
John
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 10:09:24 AM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

I still don't understand your use of the word "bid". As far as I know, to "bid" on something usually involves money.
"I won the auction because I bid higher than everyone else."
"I got the contract because I bid lower than everyone else."
I assume that these guys aren't paying the jobs or taking a lower salary to get them, so how is this a "bidding" process?

"Bid" is the word that's used. I assume by analogy with bidding on a contract to provide some service, but I don't know the background of it.
John
Beseech entreat adjure conjure press. Ask for or express earnestly.
Those from Visual Thesaurus seems good to me.
Martin
On 9/27/2015 8:34 AM, John McCoy wrote:

On 9/27/2015 3:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> "I won the auction because I bid higher than everyone else." > > "I got the contract because I bid lower than everyone else." > > I assume that these guys aren't paying the jobs or taking a lower > > > salary to get them, so how is this a "bidding" process?
Bidding is tendering an offer for something,usually in an auction style format. The something could be anything, like a car, or a job, or a wife.
What the offer you are tendering could be money, years of service, or goats.
I bid 3 goats for your daughter, I bid 20 years service for that job, I big 200 gold bars for that Festool vacuum.
--
Jack

I don't have any of those things, but 200 gold bars for a Festool vacuum? I'll get one!
You'd have to offer a lot more than 3 goats for a daughter nowadays. Haven't you heard of inflation?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper says...

But you haven't met the daughter in question--3 goats might be excessive.
"Puckdropper" wrote in message

That's for sure... some guys would want an entire herd of goats to take some daughters. ;~)
On 9/27/2015 9:45 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

She'd have to be a really good cook, not mind cleaning and laundry, shopping, mowing the lawn and sewing.
Otherwise 3 goats is an over bid.
--
Jack
On 9/27/2015 8:37 AM, Jack wrote:

I bid 4 in a game of Spades. ;~)
On 9/27/2015 9:37 AM, Jack wrote:

I'll take your offer for the goats. Daughter is packing now. if the goats will be here in time for dinner I'll toss in a wheelbarrow full of her toiletries in the bathroom.
On 9/27/2015 4:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wasn't really bidding, just scratching my nose...
--
Jack

I queried 10 fathers about their daughters, and none of them had anything bad to say about them. You'll be alright. :-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.