What has happened to McFeeleys

Page 1 of 4
I seldom get a catalog any more and their web site no longer has one. You now must use the "Screw Selector" and it leaves screws out.
Where do you buy your "quality" square drive screws?
On 9/21/2015 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

yea, I noticed that too. Also having a tough time locating simple screws.. Seems like they went off the deep end. Not a great design.
I think many sites lose track of simplicity. to many of the young crowd (developers) they think it's intuitive. But not to me. Too many make it easy so they can develop it, but not so it's functionable.
--
Jeff

No kidding, I find that everywhere, what happened to the expression tell it to me as though I were an idiot. Now I'm not getting any younger but it seems like making it flashy is more important then making it work. Hmmm kind of like are government.
Mike M
On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:33:42 PM UTC-4, Mike M wrote:

If you want to hear about the ridiculous process for developing a government website, listen to this podcast:
https://soundcloud.com/replyall/34-dmv-nation
On 9/23/2015 6:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think one only had to try to sign up for Obamacare to understand the development of a government website. ;~)
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 9:06:23 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

That very subject is discussed in that podcast. Regardless of whether you are for Obamacare or not, it's a shame that the website development process (which was in place long before Obamacare was a gleam in Barack's eye) was what caused so much of the initial problems with signing up. First impressions and all that. "Obamacare? Have you seen their website? Man, does Obamacare suck!"
It may (or may not) suck, but the pre-existing website design process was what caused many of the initial problems. Per the podcast, it wasn't clear which of the many contractors involved was responsible for stitching all of the various modules together. Integrated testing wasn't started until 2 weeks before it went live. That design process wouldn't work well for *any* program, retailer, forum, etc.
On 9/23/2015 11:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The difference between a business financial report and a government financial report is that the government report has no bottom line. So anything that the government does is pretty much the result of operating blind.
Notice I said a financial report vs. P&L statement.

A *big* +1
Government never does a cost/benefit analysis.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 8:41:34 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

Really? Is Executive Order 12866 no longer in effect? It was issued in 1993 and amended in 2007. I see no record of it being reversed. Do you know that it has been?
http://www.foreffectivegov.org/node/2560
https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/pdf/12866.pdf
snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net says...

do yhou knolw with certainty that any government agency actually obeys said order? And it is most assuredly not binding on the Congress.
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 4:44:44 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

Have you asked krw if he knows with certainty that they don't? He said "never". I think the odds are in my favor.
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 04:10:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Never! They don't even analyze what they've done to see if the results are as planned (they never are).
On 9/23/2015 9:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, that is not working like it should. If it really was working the debt would be getting smaller.
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 10:12:51 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Not necessarily. It all depends on what you consider a "benefit" and how you price it.
A cost-benefit analysis may have nothing to do with reducing costs. If the govt adds 15 new programs and are able to justify the costs based on the benefits provided, our debt could go higher.
e.g. If the govt were to borrow a few billion to fix our roads, the benefits might be that you and I would spend less on car repairs and lives might even be saved. The govt goes deeper in debt, but the welfare of it's people improves.
If I decide to buy curtains, the benefit might be that I can walk around nude instead of wearing all these damn clothes. My costs may go up, but my family would gain the benefit of laughing at me.

The problem of not operating with in a budget is that eventually the money that the government spends either dries up because its credit rating continues to drop or it continues to water down the buying power by adding more currency to the world. Neither scenario is on I want to see happen.
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 2:03:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I have argument with that at all.
My only point was that cost benefit analysis doesn't neccesarily save money. In fact, one could argue that it can actually waste money by justifying more expenditures.
On 9/25/2015 5:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think that was the point I was trying to make in the beginning with not bottom line on a financial report.
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 8:31:12 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Gotcha!
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:50:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You're kidin' me, right?

On 9/23/2015 8:41 PM, krw wrote:

Congress does. They simplified the process. If it benefits us, the cost to the taxpayer does not matter.