What has happened to McFeeleys

I seldom get a catalog any more and their web site no longer has one. You now must use the "Screw Selector" and it leaves screws out.

Where do you buy your "quality" square drive screws?

Reply to
Leon

yea, I noticed that too. Also having a tough time locating simple screws.. Seems like they went off the deep end. Not a great design.

I think many sites lose track of simplicity. to many of the young crowd (developers) they think it's intuitive. But not to me. Too many make it easy so they can develop it, but not so it's functionable.

Reply to
woodchucker

Haven't had any recent need so no direct contact suggestion.

I did look at the McF web site; it appears to be using the same package at the Grainger site. Not terribly surprising once the Grainger accounting folks got McFeely fully integrated.

As for the question specifically, I'd probably use the "live chat" or contact tech support by (gasp!) actually dialing the phone and see how it goes when ask for the specific product. That'll probably immediately tell you whether it's time to switch vendors or they're still capable _despite_ corporate.

Reply to
dpb

??? There's a picture of a cell phone about a third of the way down on the right side of the main page and next to it "ANYWHERE ANY DEVICE CATALOG" that, when you click it, opens a catalog. It's a crappily implemented catalog that seems to take forever and a day to load a page and gives the impression that it's nothing but blank pages until you let it sit for a while, but it _is_ a catalog.

I haven't ordered screws in quite some time, however the last time I did I think it was from Highland Hardware. If I needed some right now I'd probably try the Fastenal down the street. McMaster of course has just about anything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------------------------ Check out Jamestown Distributors.

Excellent marine supplier.

May be a tad expensive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No kidding, I find that everywhere, what happened to the expression tell it to me as though I were an idiot. Now I'm not getting any younger but it seems like making it flashy is more important then making it work. Hmmm kind of like are government.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Exactly, thank goodness I had a part number. After 30 minutes I got tired of hunting.

Reply to
Leon

I tried the live chat. I waited 5 minutes for every response and each seemed to be referring me to click on something that did not exist. And then the responses were so illiterate that I think Hodgi was doing the typing.

I hate calling. I would rather browse.

That'll probably immediately

I do believe it is time.

Reply to
Leon

I use their chat and the "who ever" indicated to look for a telephone. I never found it.

Now I found it. I saw that and thought it was an app. thank you.

I'll look at Highland and Fastenal. I tried McMaster and was unsuccessful. Strangely enough.

Reply to
Leon

I found Quick Screws. They beat the hell out of McFeeleys on price but limited selection. I'll take a look at Jamestown.

Expensive is an inexpensive screw that breaks. ;~)

Thanks Lew.

Reply to
Leon

O! M! G!

I found Festool Screws! ;~)

Leon

After my recent unsatisfactory experience with Spax, I decided that they do have their use, but I can't carry a hardware store of different screws wit h me. I need a good, strong, 3 - 3 1/4" screw, and when I saw the Spax at

3 1/4' (or something close) I bit. They are OK, and when in a place where I can get over the screws they are great.

For what I do, they are OK. But I now have about 250 or so of them, and wi ll use them all since I found that the sell the genuine Spax driver separat ely for about a buck and a half.

After that, off to Fastenal, or like Lew said, Jamestown. Many years ago, I think at Lew's suggestion, I bought a bunch of all stainless screw for a large commercial repair. They were excellent quality, and in the end, I di dn't care about the price since I was so pleased with the product.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Oh really? That explains alot. Grainger is one of the worst sites. I think all the hard goods guys. Enco, MSC... they suck too.

Reply to
woodchucker

The original McFeelys had a wealth of information too. Gone. All sorts of information on selecting the proper screw is nowhere to been seen these days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to buy from Grainger a couple of times a month, the old fashioned way over the phone. At some point both Grainger an McMaster put up web sites. I hate using the Granger web site and order maybe once a year. McMaster is easy to use and gets 99% of the business..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a 2015 catalog that came along with my last order (I forget whether I checked something to request a catalog).

Reply to
Drew Lawson

I just read through the online catalog and it's mostly there. The catalog remains a pain though, however once it downloads it seems to stay downloaded.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wow Thanks Robert. I already forgot that a lot of the Spax screws use the Torx Plus drive. That alone is a problem for me. The older Fein Multimasters use that drive and I find I have to be deliberate when inserting the wrench, not like square drive. And that is with the wrench in my hand going relatively straight in. With a screw you seldom start straight and the bit is 8~10" from your hand.

Kim almost pulled the trigger for me when she saw the Spax/Festool screw assortment, 1300 screws with Festool Systainer. Really a good deal.

Anyway don't let your Spax screw experience detour you from all Spax. I don't use many Spax screws but HD carries Spax Lag Screws. They have the expected hex head that you put a common wrench or socket on and they are much higher quality and stronger than the common lag screw. I used them to hang my lumber rack on the wall. I did not want to break a 5" lag screw.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW the Festool/Spax screw assortment from Highland has all combo/Philips heads according to a rep.

This is a great deal but I really don't use flat top screws anymore these days. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

Exactly my problem. I encountered this when trying to attach a runner unde r a cabinet that was wet for some time, then the "legs" of the carcass bega n to rot. With a new marble top going on and me unable to remove the cabin ets without tearing up the wall treatments, I decided to get my butt face d own on the floor and reach under the cabinets to attach new legs/runners wh en the kick was off. This became a project unto itself, with me resorting to starting the screw on the 2x4, then positioning it, and finally driving the screw.

Not a chance.

After a about a half hour of wrestling with them, I went out to the truck a nd got some square drive, galvanized screws that were on plastic tape for a screw gun. Problem solved. Spax, back in the tool box.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Spax for a specific job or purpose, but I want u tility type screws for my everyday repairs. I often find myself reaching i nside framing structures, inside walls, and generally in tight places where I can't be right over the work with the driver nearly perpendicular to the work. I saw those whopper Spax screws... impressive.

When I finally get to Fastenal, I will let you know if I find something for general utility use.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41