What hardwood for jig runners?

Ok, so I have read many instructions (from like Woodsmith, Shop Notes, etc) on how to make table saw jigs (like crosscut sleds, miter sleds, etc).
The problem is that no matter the source, when it comes to the non-plywood parts, they just say "make this part out of hardwood" without recommending a type.
Does it really just not make any difference? As long as it is some kind of wood that's been milled from a tree, it doesn't matter?
Anyone have any suggestions on a good (but cheap, it is just a jig and not an armoir after all) type of hardwood that would be a good runner in the miter slot for jig making?
Signed,
Bewildered

It makes a difference, but not much of one. I generally use whatever is conveniently to hand, in a suitable size. Beech is good, because the surface is hard wearing. I also give a good coating of beeswax polish.
Andy Dingley responds:

The beeswax is good, as is a note that you're using European beech, not American which is much less stable. Maple, birch, white oak are among the best in the States.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
On 29 Oct 2003 14:28:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Didn't realise your beech was different from ours as well.
I'd use maple, but I don't have any to spare (not a common UK wood)
I wouldn't use birch, as ours is far too soft.
I might use white oak, but that would probably be imported American oak (which I don't buy). The English oak I use a lot of is harder, with a tendency to brittleness. Although a piece of primo-grade oak might make a good runner, most of the scrapbox offcuts got in there because they're already showing a tendency towards brittlenes or splitting.
I have some of maple and some of oak. I have some hi density slippery plastic scraps that I am going to try on the next one.
BRuce
snipped-for-privacy@screwoff.net wrote:

You want something that's hard, and not prone to change it's shape (warp or swell/shrink with humidity). Oak is good, as is hard maple. You probably wouldn't want to use something like poplar, because it's softish & would wear quickly. If it's hard work to plane, then it's probably good for this purpose :-)
That said, last jig I built I used cherry, because I had a couple of scraps that were about the right size. Works well enough.
John
snipped-for-privacy@screwoff.net wrote:

It probably matters some, but not much. I used poplar for all of mine because that's what I had. I gave them a coat of Johnson's wax.
I'm sure they won't last forever, but I'm hoping to replace the table saw in the next several years anyway.
It's not like three passes through the slot turn them to mush or anything either. I've used my crosscut sled a bajillion times, and it's fine. The fact that my table is aluminum might mitigate the wear issue somewhat.
I have no idea. I figure if I wear them out before I get a new saw, I can make new ones, so it's no big deal.
I've used hard maple as well as white oak for runners with no problems. Key is alignment and if it's correct there shouldn't be any wear.