What happened toThompsons Water seal?

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to have changed. Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

"Shopdog" wrote in news:AFiQg.127$Fh.91@trnddc07:

It's probably bad. Take it back for an exchange.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Take a look at the side of the 5 gallon pail. Look for a toll free telephone number. Ask the kind person who answers why the product is milky, and they'll be more than happy to answer your question.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Some unsolicited advice, try another brand. I used Thompsons several times on my deck and found it not very durable. I had to reapply pretty much every other year. The last stain I used was Cabot, which was much better. I don't remember when I applied it, but it has been about 5 years and it still looks better than the Thompson's did in 2.

-Steve W

Reply to
Steve W

OK, I will try the suggestions, but I know that the one that I bought was in fact not a bad product, because I went to the store and opend another container (1 gal) and it too was milky. Also, I am looking for a clear liquid water proofer or sealer, not for wood or concrete but I used to use the Thompsons for my pop up camper. It soaked right in and worked great for

5 years, its now time for another treatment but I sure don't want to spray on a milky substance and I DON"T want to pay crazy money for "specialized" treatment for canvas. Hell for 12 bucks I could treat my camper and my tents and still have enough left over for any other camping gear that needed it.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Thu, Sep 21, 2006, 1:22am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.net (Shopdog) doth mumble: OK, I will try the suggestions, but I know that the one that I bought was in fact not a bad product,

What you were "told" is that there are superior products to Thopsons. There are several in fact. And call the 1-800 number like your were also tols.

JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.

Reply to
J T

I would also ask about their recommendations for use on a pop-up camper. I assume you are going to use it on the canvas part. The old Thompson's water seal was essentially paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits or something similar. I don't know about the new type.

In my day, we tried to firePROOF canvas that we used over our heads, not make a candle out of it with wax.

Maybe I'm out of my head with assumptions. It's one of my afflictions.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my region due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So, they now make the water seal with a water base. It was always safe to use as the solvent evaporated over a few days when it was solvent based and they say that now since it is water based it is even more safe to use. Although, the area to be treated MUST be completely moisture free.

As soon I started the conversation I was stopped in my tracks, the woman said that everyone has been calling about the milky white product!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

She was referring to the risk of fire and explosion when applying the product. The old product was wax dissolved in a fammable solvent. The new product is something (possibly wax and an emulsifier) dissolved in a nonflammable solvent.

Unless the dissolved solids in the new product are non-combustable, and I don't think that there are any noncombustable waxes, using it on canvas will still increase the fire risk associated with the water-prooofed aterial just as with the old product.

It may be possible to use the MSDS to deduce the material deposited on the canvas.

Reply to
fredfighter

Hmmm... a water based product to waterproof wood.... Sort of like "how do they get teflon to stick to the damn pan?

Mac

mac davis

Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

"Jim Northey" wrote in news:_aFQg.10616$R63.5883 @pd7urf1no:

"How did you get this grey tape-like finish? It must have taken a long time."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

All that solvent evaporating pollutes the air. Some places can't handle the extra. The EPA is not concerned with your safety.

Reply to
Del Cecchi

Yes, that is why the volotile organic content of virtually all finishes has been drastically reduced in recent years.

Of course they are. Reducing air polution is a human safety issue.

Reply to
fredfighter

From the Thompsons site: Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style sprayer is the simplest method. Product will appear milky white during application, but will dry clear. If puddling of product occurs, remove within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.

Reply to
Delia

The old formula doesn't pass the "greenies test". The new stuff is not as good as the old stuff, but it is legal to sell and use without a Hazmat licence.

Reply to
clare

Original Question from Homeowners hub site is dated Sept. 20, 2006 That's 7 years ago.

Reply to
willshak

OK, its time for a re-coat and maybe he forgot the answer in the meantime. I rarely look at the date so a regurgitated post can get by me too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Shopdog, Dusty wrote: My husband just screamed about that too!!! The old can is oil based the new stuff is water based... looks like they changed the formula... he hates it!!!!

Reply to
Dusty

It's the best way to deliver waterproofing, actually; the active stuff washes into all the same places that water will attempt to enter.

One gallon of water as a vehicle, and after drying, hundreds of gallons of rain just can't get in.

Reply to
whit3rd