what happened to Grizzly in PA?

Page 2 of 2
On 4/15/2016 5:02 PM, notbob wrote:

Good reason to learn a skill and have an education. Part time $12.25/hr Full time up to $13.25 https://amazon.force.com/JobDetails?reqid RF0000011ywSrMAI
Other positions pay more but I did not see particulars.
Amazon offers competitive packages including comprehensive health care, 401(k), restricted stock units, growth potential and a challenging and exciting work environment.
At the job fair, Amazon officials will provide candidates with information about the company and the application process. It will explain what a day in the life of a fulfillment associate is like and explain benefits, including the Career Choice program, where Amazon will prepay or reimburse up to 95 percent of tuition for courses related to in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to the company.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:51:24 -0400

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800
the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed because they cut deep into the bottom line
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:17:02 -0700, Electric Comet

On 4/15/2016 5:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Most factory and warehouse jobs are hot in the summer. Very few have AC. Nor have I ever seen a place say "we don't care if you make mistakes, no big deal"
On 4/15/2016 6:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mistakes are a fact of life. Any company that expects no mistakes is not long for the business world. I worked for a company like that and it wasted way too much productive time to insure minimal mistakes instead of concentrating on what is ultimately the most important thing, the customer. They went out of business.
A mistakes by workers do not affect the bottom line on a continuous basis. Mistakes by management that is not recognized and corrected affects the bottom line.
On 4/15/2016 7:30 PM, Leon wrote:

Mistakes happen, but you should be striving for 100%. We can't pass judgement on this because we don't have facts, just a comment made by E Comet.
Are workers fired on their first mistake? Or are they fired after a few and the worker does not care and is not trying. I've has plenty of them over the years. Some don't make the day.
On 4/15/2016 8:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Certainly, but out of 200~300 orders over the coarse of a week, and those orders having an average of 50 pieces, is a lot of picking and shipping. We double checked each pulled order with two different people, other than the puller, and if a mistake got shipped all three were penalized monetarily. Inventory counts tended to be extremely accurate and if a customer said they did not get a part we would check the bin count against what the computer indicated. If the count was right the puller and checkers were still penalized. Totally ridiculous.
Because we seldom made a mistake the customers were seldom upset as our competition screwed up on every order.

If the worker is good but makes mistakes it is up to management to find a solution, whether that would be putting the employee in another position that better suits him or dismissing.
On 4/16/2016 9:12 AM, Leon wrote:

Can't speak for Amazon. but most picking in large warehouses is automated and checking is a matter of scanning bar codes. A friend's daughter works in a place where pickers wear a headset and it directs them to the bins.

Right, but the comment was made that Amazon does not tolerate mistakes. Simple statement with nothing to put it into proper context.
says...

There are 17 glassdoor reviews for fulfillment associate at Amazon. They complain about long hours, hard work, short breaks, lazy co- workers, and no medical, but didn't see anything about any kind of unusual handling of mistakes.
On 4/16/2016 10:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Those are typical complaints from 90% of workers at 99% of companies.
Amazon does state there is mandatory overtime. Staples warehouse and probably many others do that when the company advertises a specific delivery time.
says...

Mandatory overtime for part-timers can be dangerous--it may put them into full-time and when that happens then a bunch of worker-protection laws kick in and they get a _lot_ more expensive.
On 4/16/2016 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

FWIW I was totally agreeing with you. ;~)

Well, the third possibility there is that the job is set up to make mistakes likely. In that case changing the process is the solution - changing the worker just means you have a new guy making mistakes.
There is a whole field of engineering, Industrial Engineering, focused on how to set up processes to maximize efficiency and minimize the opportunities for error.
John
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:13:04 -0400

that is watering it down a bit or maybe i did
the amazon centers are a not a typical warehouse operation
amazon daisy chains shipments often
you buy 5 prodcuts but they cannot be fulfilled from a single place
so your shipment might start at ct then go to mo then to pa then finally to you
increase in complexity means they have to run a much tighter ship or the bottom line gets hurt and at their volume that would hurt a lot
technology helps but there is always a human factor
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 08:30:00 -0700, Electric Comet

Other than eliminating necessary punctuation and upper-case letters, How does any of the above change the issue? It's shit work. No one said anything other. Suck it up, kid.