what happened to Grizzly in PA?

Page 1 of 2
I just ordered some magnetic switches last night from Grizzly. I went to their site and noticed the tent sales, ... hmmm no tent sales in Muncy PA...
Hey wait, no store in Muncy PA..
When did that happen? are they in trouble?
--
Jeff

On 4/5/2016 1:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:

in answer to my own question Oct 31st 2015 was their last shipment from there.
Oh well, I would take a trip there once a year and stock up on stuff. It was a wierd place for a machine company, not near a harbor, or roadways. I don't know if it had rail lines to it, I doubt it.
--
Jeff

Thought it was only a mile or two from I-180?
Anyway, you're right that by far the bulk of what they received would be intermodal containers from China or Taiwan, which would go by rail to the nearest terminal, likely somewhere in the NYC area, and then be drayed back to Muncy. Altho their new place in Missouri is the same deal, stuff would have to be drayed from Argentine in Kansas City, which is probably 3 hours away.
John
On 4/5/2016 3:15 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Yes it was, but I-180 at a very rural area of PA. It's not like it was in or near a populus area. I live in farm country and there's nothing by me either. But that was quite far out of the way. Had it been Harrisburg, or camp hill area. I imagine it would have been easier as that is a central hub area to the north east regions trucking.
--
Jeff

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:44:10 -0400

got a catalog and it says there are two stores with tent sales
did not know they had stores but my guess is that expense of a store front cuts deep into the bottom line and the numbers are probably easy to see
did not know they carried so many products either
do the stores double as fulfillment centers for grizzly if so they might be consolidating centers to save money there also amazon had so many trucks coming going to one center that the mayor was going to shut them down
On 4/14/2016 11:27 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

Probably didn't donate enough to his reelection campaign.
On 4/14/2016 1:33 PM, krw wrote:

+1
--
Jeff

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:02:01 -0400

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon
would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay
it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it
that is the more likely scenario
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 12:35:09 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

My understanding is that truck traffic around the Christmas holiday season was interfering with residents daily routines. This was what I read regardi ng the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed. http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/12/amazons_mega_warehouse_gridlocks _traffic_in_nj_tow.html
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:45:44 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ding the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed . http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/12/amazons_mega_warehouse_gridloc ks_traffic_in_nj_tow.html
apparently caused by Amazon employees as well, not just truck traffic...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

But - we want all of those jobs and the revenue that they will generate...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:45:41 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

i do not know what town the report came from it was a short news blurb i read somewhere
there is a move by amazon to not allow shipments from sellers that use FBA
it was speculation that reducing shipments from sellers would alleviate traffic at the fulfilment centers
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 4:40:51 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Holy Cow! I tawt I taw a capital letter! I did, I did!
On 4/15/2016 12:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Timing is everything. I made a joke about taxes but. . . On the CT new last night they showed the opening of the new Amazon fulfillment center in Windsor, CT.. They mentioned that the town gave them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 4:51:25 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I believe they received some tax breaks in NJ as well...Flat rate fee rather than percentage of sales/profit...Employing thousands of locals gives them some negotiation power...

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax perks.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the county now hasta carry. Old news.
nb

Gee, the WW stores around us haven't closed. I suspect it's because they're making money.

No one is being *forced* to work there.

Three of Sam's joint have closed in the area, all replaced with new stores, all had tax incentives on property taxes. Which will hopefully be offset by sales taxes.
Having bills to be paid ain't coercion, it is not voluteering either.

There *are* other jobs. I have no pity for people who whine about their jobs but refuse to do anything about it. Less for people who whine about others' jobs.