what happened to Grizzly in PA?

I just ordered some magnetic switches last night from Grizzly. I went to their site and noticed the tent sales, ... hmmm no tent sales in Muncy PA...

Hey wait, no store in Muncy PA..

When did that happen? are they in trouble?

Reply to
woodchucker

in answer to my own question Oct 31st 2015 was their last shipment from there.

Oh well, I would take a trip there once a year and stock up on stuff. It was a wierd place for a machine company, not near a harbor, or roadways. I don't know if it had rail lines to it, I doubt it.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:ib-dnV4tTK3WZ57KnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Thought it was only a mile or two from I-180?

Anyway, you're right that by far the bulk of what they received would be intermodal containers from China or Taiwan, which would go by rail to the nearest terminal, likely somewhere in the NYC area, and then be drayed back to Muncy. Altho their new place in Missouri is the same deal, stuff would have to be drayed from Argentine in Kansas City, which is probably 3 hours away.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Yes it was, but I-180 at a very rural area of PA. It's not like it was in or near a populus area. I live in farm country and there's nothing by me either. But that was quite far out of the way. Had it been Harrisburg, or camp hill area. I imagine it would have been easier as that is a central hub area to the north east regions trucking.

Reply to
woodchucker

got a catalog and it says there are two stores with tent sales

did not know they had stores but my guess is that expense of a store front cuts deep into the bottom line and the numbers are probably easy to see

did not know they carried so many products either

do the stores double as fulfillment centers for grizzly if so they might be consolidating centers to save money there also amazon had so many trucks coming going to one center that the mayor was going to shut them down

Reply to
Electric Comet

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably didn't donate enough to his reelection campaign.

Reply to
krw

+1
Reply to
woodchucker

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

Reply to
Electric Comet

My understanding is that truck traffic around the Christmas holiday season was interfering with residents daily routines. This was what I read regardi ng the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed.

_traffic_in_nj_tow.html

Reply to
bnwelch

n was interfering with residents daily routines. This was what I read regar ding the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed .

apparently caused by Amazon employees as well, not just truck traffic...

Reply to
bnwelch

But - we want all of those jobs and the revenue that they will generate...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

i do not know what town the report came from it was a short news blurb i read somewhere

there is a move by amazon to not allow shipments from sellers that use FBA

it was speculation that reducing shipments from sellers would alleviate traffic at the fulfilment centers

Reply to
Electric Comet

Holy Cow! I tawt I taw a capital letter! I did, I did!

Reply to
bnwelch

Timing is everything. I made a joke about taxes but. . . On the CT new last night they showed the opening of the new Amazon fulfillment center in Windsor, CT.. They mentioned that the town gave them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe they received some tax breaks in NJ as well...Flat rate fee rather than percentage of sales/profit...Employing thousands of locals gives them some negotiation power...

Reply to
bnwelch

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax perks.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the county now hasta carry. Old news.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Gee, the WW stores around us haven't closed. I suspect it's because they're making money.

No one is being *forced* to work there.

Reply to
krw

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800

the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed because they cut deep into the bottom line

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'm sure they'd get pissed if you forgot the shift key.

Reply to
krw