What glue has a long work time

I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not have to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Thanks

Reply to
Creekbuster

Have you considered something like Gorilla glue?

has a work time of 20 minutes.

Jim

jim

TB extended has a nice long work time. It is very thin and runny, but I like for that reason on dovetails.

Reply to
Toller

Although I rarely glue in spindles:

it's what David J. Marks uses when he refers to "plastic resin glue".

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks! I've always wondered how that stuff was sold (box, bag, tube, tub). Now having seen a container of the stuff, it should be a lot easier to find.

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

plastic resin glue

Reply to
David

The ads say this has a work time up to an hour, and moist heat can soften it for disassembly after that time. There are some that are prepackaged so you don't need a glue pot. But the shelf life is limited (a year I think).

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

have to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

For Windsor chairs --- I use Elmer's white glue. It has a long enough setting time for an involved assembly.

Joel Jacobson

Reply to
joeljcarver

have to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

For Windsor chairs --- I use Elmer's white glue. It has a long enough setting time for an involved assembly.

Joel Jacobson

Reply to
joeljcarver

hide glue is the classic adhesive for fine furniture. it (and it's analogs like rabbit glue) are the only glues that are correct for antiques restoration. it's nice to work with for what it gives to the assembly process, but it does involve some extra work of it's own- mixing and heat pot maintenance mostly. one very good tip I have found is to mix a batch and divide it into small portions and freeze them. then heat those as needed.

Reply to
bridger

oh, not the best for a chair you may dis-assemble... :)

Reply to
David

wrote

Only if you heat the workpiece beforehand.

In fact hide glue is used for its almost instant grab properties when making 'rubbed' (ie panel) joints that are made without cramps.

Jeff G

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Not to mention the feature of an "undo" button.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

Rumpty

As with almost all things, it depends. Urea can be mixed in with the glue for a longer open time. If the glue is spread and allowed to gel, it will have an instant grab. If it's globbed thickly, it can be worked for quite a while until it starts to set.

Reply to
musials

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........

Reply to
George Max

Absolutely nothing ... but it does have a shorter open time than white glue.

For that reason alone white glue is something most old fashioned woodorkers always have on hand ... and many will use nothing else.

Reply to
Swingman

Well that put me in a slot. "An old fashioned woodorker" LOL John

Reply to
John B

Just as long as you're not a cow-orker ... in some states you can go to jail for that!

Reply to
Swingman