What glue has a long work time

Page 1 of 2

I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not have to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.
Thanks
Have you considered something like Gorilla glue?
http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm
It has a work time of 20 minutes.
Jim www.woodblog.com
TB extended has a nice long work time. It is very thin and runny, but I like for that reason on dovetails.
"Creekbuster" wrote in message

have
Although I rarely glue in spindles:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_idB
IIRC, it's what David J. Marks uses when he refers to "plastic resin glue".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Thanks! I've always wondered how that stuff was sold (box, bag, tube, tub). Now having seen a container of the stuff, it should be a lot easier to find.
-John
Hide glue

The ads say this has a work time up to an hour, and moist heat can soften it for disassembly after that time. There are some that are prepackaged so you don't need a glue pot. But the shelf life is limited (a year I think).
On 27 Oct 2005 23:51:14 GMT, Bruce Barnett

hide glue is the classic adhesive for fine furniture. it (and it's analogs like rabbit glue) are the only glues that are correct for antiques restoration. it's nice to work with for what it gives to the assembly process, but it does involve some extra work of it's own- mixing and heat pot maintenance mostly. one very good tip I have found is to mix a batch and divide it into small portions and freeze them. then heat those as needed.
Rival makes a Hot Pot Express that has variable heat ranges that is ideal for hot hide glue. Cost under $25.00USD.
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:08:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Only if you heat the workpiece beforehand.
In fact hide glue is used for its almost instant grab properties when making 'rubbed' (ie panel) joints that are made without cramps.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not to mention the feature of an "undo" button. <G>
Barry
Creekbuster wrote:

plastic resin glue
David wrote:

oh, not the best for a chair you may dis-assemble... :)

For Windsor chairs --- I use Elmer's white glue. It has a long enough setting time for an involved assembly.
Joel Jacobson

For Windsor chairs --- I use Elmer's white glue. It has a long enough setting time for an involved assembly.
Joel Jacobson
Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........
"George Max" wrote in message

Absolutely nothing ... but it does have a shorter open time than white glue.
For that reason alone white glue is something most old fashioned woodorkers always have on hand ... and many will use nothing else.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
Swingman wrote:

Well that put me in a slot. "An old fashioned woodorker" LOL John