What gives?

Page 1 of 2
I just tried to log on to www.leavalley.com to order a few items and got this message:
"The owners of the domain name leavalley.com are accepting offers from interested parties willing to obtain ownership rights over the domain name. You can place your bid by filling out the form below." Stated price: $1,500
What gives?
Hoyt

Like everything else, the devil's in the details <BSEG>
/vic
If you're looking for the woodworking store, I think you may want: www.leevalley.com. Note lee and not lea ... valley.com.
--
--Marc Hudson
Thanks Marc,
Marc Hudson wrote:

They may be in for a small surprise. LeeValley has some rights to claim the name without payment. "Squatting" on names similar to existing enterprises in hopes of inducing payment from them is somewhat frowned upon.
Michael

But is it illegal? I'm asking because I don't know. If it is illegal, who enforces the law?
Frank
It's not illegal until someone unleashes a pack of lawyers on whoever owns the domain name. The company/person with the most money wins ! but hey, I'd but that for a dollar, maybe work out a deal with leevalley for one o' those new shoulder planes...
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:12:17 +0000, Frank Ketchum wrote:

"Herman Family" wrote in message

You might be playing free with assumed motives. I wouldn't bet on it ... not with 13,200 +/- hits on legitimate "Lea Valley"'s worldwide. That said, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the domain name squatters from the frenzy five years or so back who lost big time betting on the come, and less for those who paid the extortion and two years later let them go, to be picked up by anyone at the cut-rate registrars.
Rarely is foolishness and greed subject to such justice.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

What right does Le*E* Valley have to the name Le*A* Valley?

Has do with trademark and name resemblance.
In an interesting case recently, a 17 year old in Canada named Michael Rowe started making web sites. So, he got a domain name called mikerowesoft.com. Next thing ya know...Bill Gates and his pack of sharks attacked him claiming he was stealing their corporate identity, etc.
Last I heard, they came to an agreement for him to change his domain name because it *sounds* like Microsoft.com

example. They were originally named AutoShack and were forced to change the name when RadioShack took legal action. The name, even though not that close, was determined to be too close and confusing to consumers.
Wow, that's even worse! I guess that's what will happen when a judge doesn't know the difference between a tire iron and a transistor!

GSX notes:

Uh, well, yeah, but I just saw and heard a kid drive by who can't differentiate twixt his vehicle and his stereo. Nor can anyone else within half a mile.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:03:32 GMT, "TexasFireGuy"

companies and lawyers be"...A few years ago, Sun got all het up about "protecting its trademark" as regards the programming language Java (which they had "created"). Part of the problem was that Microsoft had started doing their usual pirate thing of eroding away control from the originators. In any case, Sun started sending "cease and desist" letters to folks for using Java in their names. One of the more AMUSING moments was that they sent a threatening letter to the owners of "www.javanco.com" (here is a link to the letter: http://www.bitmover.com/lm/javaletter.html ).     The only problem was that a) Javanco is a hardware and surplus place and b) it has been around for a LONG time...well before Sun came up with the idea of Java, or the name.     Needless to say, the owner, whose name actually is (If I remember correctly) Javan, told them, politely, to take a long walk off a short pier. Alas, I think Javanco may be gone now... the hardware biz is tough...but the amusement remains. I used to get parts from them every once in a while, but, alas, my SERIOUS hardware hacking days are kind of behind me, so have not gotten anything in a while...     Regards     Dave Mundt
scribbled:

Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item382073018&category#12
Luigi Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

$32,450.58, 119 bidders.
The kid better watch out, next thing you know Gates will be claiming he only leased the WIPO Book.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Now there's a kid who was handed some lemons, and figured out how to make a giant batch of sweet lemonade! Good for him.

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39143676,00.htm
--
Mule-Tracks
One for the board and two for the nail

And MS acknowledged they went too far. However, I realize that these days, "right" is irrelevant. It's whoever has the better lawyer(s).
Still. LeeValley has no right to LeaValley until proven in court. (unless settled beforehand).
Here are other "infringing" sites:
www.leevalley.net
www.leevalley.org www.leevalley-online.co.uk/ www.lowerleavalley.com/ www.leevalleypark.org.uk www.leevalleygcc.ie www.leevalleyangling.co.uk