What gives?

I just tried to log on to

to order a few items and got this message:

"The owners of the domain name leavalley.com are accepting offers from interested parties willing to obtain ownership rights over the domain name. You can place your bid by filling out the form below." Stated price: $1,500

What gives?

Hoyt

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Try

Edwin Pawlowski

Try

everything else, the devil's in the details

/vic

Reply to
Victor Radin

If you're looking for the woodworking store, I think you may want:

Note lee and not lea ... valley.com.

Reply to
Marc Hudson

They may be in for a small surprise. LeeValley has some rights to claim the name without payment. "Squatting" on names similar to existing enterprises in hopes of inducing payment from them is somewhat frowned upon.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Misspelling. Try:

Greg Neill

enterprises

But is it illegal? I'm asking because I don't know. If it is illegal, who enforces the law?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

enterprises

You might be playing free with assumed motives. I wouldn't bet on it ... not with 13,200 +/- hits on legitimate "Lea Valley"'s worldwide. That said, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the domain name squatters from the frenzy five years or so back who lost big time betting on the come, and less for those who paid the extortion and two years later let them go, to be picked up by anyone at the cut-rate registrars.

Rarely is foolishness and greed subject to such justice.

Reply to
Swingman

What right does Le*E* Valley have to the name Le*A* Valley?

Reply to
Saudade

Try changing that first 'a' to an 'e'

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Has do with trademark and name resemblance.

In an interesting case recently, a 17 year old in Canada named Michael Rowe started making web sites. So, he got a domain name called mikerowesoft.com. Next thing ya know...Bill Gates and his pack of sharks attacked him claiming he was stealing their corporate identity, etc.

Last I heard, they came to an agreement for him to change his domain name because it *sounds* like Microsoft.com

Reply to
GSX

mikerowesoft.com.

If you want to go back even further, take the case of AutoZone as an example. They were originally named AutoShack and were forced to change the name when RadioShack took legal action. The name, even though not that close, was determined to be too close and confusing to consumers.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

Wow, that's even worse! I guess that's what will happen when a judge doesn't know the difference between a tire iron and a transistor!

Reply to
GSX

Thanks Marc,

I spotted my spelling error soon after I posted the question. I logged on and ordered

8 items. Thanks for your help. Hoyt

Marc Huds> If you're looking for the woodworking store, I think you may want:

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

GSX notes:

Uh, well, yeah, but I just saw and heard a kid drive by who can't differentiate twixt his vehicle and his stereo. Nor can anyone else within half a mile.

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Reply to
acronym

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:31:12 -0500, "GSX" scribbled:

Check this out:

the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

"GSX"

$32,450.58, 119 bidders.

The kid better watch out, next thing you know Gates will be claiming he only leased the WIPO Book.

Reply to
Mark

Now there's a kid who was handed some lemons, and figured out how to make a giant batch of sweet lemonade! Good for him.

mikerowesoft.com.

> Luigi

Reply to
GSX

Here is some more about mikerowesoft.com:

Tom