what gifts are you making?

Page 1 of 2
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give as gifts this holiday season.
mel wrote:

Jewelry boxes in walnut for the wife and smaller ones for two granddaughters. Oak spice racks for daughter and daughter in law. A couple coaster sets using maple and walnut for brothers in law. Two small boxes 8x9x3 for wallets, keys etc for son in law and son. Haven't figured out what to make for my 14 year old grandson or 2 year old granddaughter yet.
Rick
RKG wrote:

My great uncle made me a pint sized cherry rolling pin, all one piece neatly turned on a lathe. Every kid who sees it wants to include it in their games, use it with playdough, cookie dough!
Don't know about the 14 year old grandson!
Josie

Rick
Here's a suggestion for the two year old -- a climbing bear. Really, really easy and quick to do, and my nephew loved it. He was 3, but....

Nothing new - I'm just planning to finish one I "gave" 3 years ago as a bundle of boards.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com

Holidays are deadlines. Bundles of boards are more forgiving--for giving. FM
On 15 Oct 2004 01:07:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Fdmorrison) wrote:

It's a long-standing family tradition. My grandmother used to give me new clothes for Christmas - a piece of cloth with buttons and thread included. They would usually get made by March - but Grandma was more efficient than I am.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Sounds like I'm not the only one. I'm going to give my 8yo daughter some rough maple for x-mas. The plan is that we'll work together and make her a desk. I suspect I'll do most of the work when she's not around but not tell her that way she can be proud of what we made together.

mel wrote:

Lotsa toys for grandkids 3 and under. Plus a collapsible clothes rack for a SIL. Great fun.     mahalo,     jo4hn
mel wrote:

Yikes! There is a holiday season coming up?
I'm thinking about framed shadow boxes for everyone (!) just different sizes and colors.
Josie

Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what not? I tried to make a few boxes, but my 12" chop saw didn't have the accuracy, even with a really good fine cut blade in it.

Nope, I've got a cool enormous cast-iron table saw. Much more stable and accurate than the little aluminium one I had before.
Little is easy. It's accuracy that's the tricky bit.
--
Smert' spamionam

I have a Delta 10" Benchtop (about $99 around here), it works really nice for small stuff, but it's a PITA for bigger things. Just make sure that the fence is square every time you move it.
Have an old Jet 10" contractor's saw with Forrest blade. Works great for small stuff and moderate size stuff. I could stand a heavy cabinet saw for really large stuff but I don't do all that much large stuff. I fail to see where I'd be a whole lot happier with a smaller machine for jewelry boxes. I don't have a chop saw so can't compare. I do have a RAS but usually use the table saw.
bob g.
Prometheus wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:45:41 -0500, Robert Galloway

I've got a chop saw (read miter saw) and I've found it to be almost as accurate as a table saw, but less versitile. I generally lay my rule on the wood, and bring the saw down to line up my cut [with my fingers far away from the trigger] You have to get your head right down there, though. Trying to line up the edge of the kerf with the ruler mark from 2 or 3 feet away is often going to be inaccurate.
This could be a function of the fact that I have a simple miter saw, so there are less parts to slop around. I looked at the CMS, but it seemed like only a marginally more useful tool, since the only thing I would think to use that secondary angle adust for would be crown molding, but I rarely cut that anyhow.

I'm making a doll cradle for my 3 year old daughter and 6 year old niece, as well as assorted pen sets.

Couple of chess boards (red cedar and bird's eye maple with walnut frames) though I think I'm going to buy the chessmen, My own set is taking a while to carve! Two or three jewelry boxes (dovetailed walnut w/ bird's eye maple tops) and some toys for my niece (1 yr old) and nephew (3 yrs old) I'm thinking about a set of maple alphabet blocks and a pull-along or two for them.
Pastry boards for the chefs in the family.

scribbled:

Doug Stowe's most complicated jewellery box (5 drawers, opening top & sides), over 100 bits of wood total. Started last November, missed the Xmas deadline as well as the February birthday one. So now, I have to get back to it.
The LOML complained that she has been with this wooddorker for eighteen years and she still uses cardboard boxes (OK, a frayed reptilian leather-covered one), baskets & other crap to keep her jewellery. So I got Doug's books from his website & asked her to pick. She, of course, picked the most complicated one.