Reply to
Andy Dingley

Planing 4x4s?

#5 for planing 5x5s etc.

The #18 is ludicrously heavy and takes four to six grown men to use. The curlies are used to make Shaker boxes and. if the wood's really nice, veneer.

Did I take all the mystery out of bench planes for you? So obvious isn't it?

Of course the specialty plane numbering system is still a mystery to me though I've got a 45, 47, 71 and a few others. Steve Knight should start lettering his planes - using the Greek alphabet - just to be different. Is your marketing director listening Steve?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I use one set low for surfacing small bits of wood, and set a bit deeper for doing edge bevels. I like the size and feel. "Chacun a son gout."

Reply to
Guess who

Everything. I only have a stanley bailey #4. I hope to get a stanley block or lo angle block soon. Maybe even a 10" jointer

Reply to
woodworker88

HEH!... everybody jokes because that plane is the most common on Earth and is still being made by four or five companies, 6? 7?

Lie-Nielson, US (excellent) Lee Valley's Veritas brand, Canada (excellent) Clifton, England (excellent) Stanley, England (so-so) Anant, India (who knows) Groz, India (who knows) True Values "Master Mechanic" garbage brand, China and probably Great Neck's garbage brand, China

And wooden bodied smoothers made by HNT Gordon in Australia and Steve Knight of Knight toolworks, US. And several Japanese makers.

The Stanleys and other less known brands in that size are practically a_dime_a_ dozen on eBay. You could get a fairly decent looking one there for very little, I have two #4 Stanleys, one of which I paid $7.99 (+ S/H) on eBay.

The "smooth plane" #'s 3 and 4 are for initial work, use them to take down the highest hills on the surface, then a longer plane, #6 to level the hills to the valleys, then the longest jointer plane, #'s 7 and 8, for final work, and a perfect surface.

This is what electric jointer and planer/thicknesser machines do these days.

Of course, just to remove matrial on a small piece, the #4 is perfect for that too. One must have a "stop" on a bench, for the wood to go up against on one end, it is also desirable to have it fully clamped. Good luck!

Reply to
AAvK

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I use mine for everything from rounding the rod to my shelf/curten hanger to smoothing glued up panels

Reply to
Richard Clements

...or a good wood vice. I came across a great one for $5 at a house sale.

...or a shooting board, or other form of guide.

I have to admit that although I do like it, I came across mine at a yard sale for $2, rusted, but no deep pits. So I spent a day cleaning it up, and repainting the metal, and she's again a tool. Came across an old Sargent No 3415 the other day, and just finished cleaning that one, and trimming the 15" x 2 3/4" wooden base slightly to get rid of some scratches. Still some work to do, but it's got to go on the back burner for a day or two. Damn, I love yard sales, flea markets and junk shops [sometimes called antique stores].

Reply to
Guess who

I wondered about that, too. It turns out that baby oil is the residue from making baby powder.

(-:

-- Morris

Reply to
Morris Dovey

When you're too far from the green for a #3 ??

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Not much. Most usefull sizes, for me, are a block plane and a #5.

Reply to
CW

Yeah... and Stein means Stone too.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Baby oil comes from Babies of course, DAMHIKT, but I do not know about the extraction process.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

mine's doing a great job holding a stack of sand paper.. haven't had a wrinkle or crease in years..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis
[...]

extraction process.

That is described in the classic short story by Ambrose Bierce "Oil of Dog"...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Robert,

Don't you mean too far from the green for a #5????

I think I found the problem with your golf game.

:-)

jc

Reply to
Joe C

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:12:19 +0200, the inscrutable Juergen Hannappel spake:

extraction process.

ROTFLMAO!

one can't help but love the deep, dank, dark output of a skilled wordsmith.

I wonder if the "dead baby jokes" were Bierce's doing, too...

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

AAvK wrote: snip

Sorry, the longer planes take the tops off "waves" in the boards. The shorter ones are then used to finish the work.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

ROTFLMAO