What ever happened to sweeping compound.

Page 2 of 2

Boy, that takes me back. School, military ..
Did a google. They sell it at Ace Hardware. Now environmentaly safe! Probably means the smell is gone.
LD
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:18:50 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Probably means it doesn't work as well, either..

Probably means that it doesn't work either.
Wayne
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 21:30:50 -0600, "Dustmaker"

Boy does that bring back memories. Nothing worth relating; a couple of part time jobs during and after high school.
Thanks for the trip.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
that and "pencil smell" is my "going back to school season" memory yanker. <s>
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

Boy does that bring back memories. Nothing worth relating; a couple of part time jobs during and after high school.
Thanks for the trip.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Sat, Nov 6, 2004, 9:30pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@interaccess.com (Dustmaker) posts: During my efforts to sweep up some scraper shavings I suddenly remembered we used to use sweeping compound in shop class when I was in school. Many times, it's not worth the effort to get a vacuum over to a site and I simply want to use broom or brush and dustpan. Did sweeping compound disappear for some good reason or did the Army use it all up during the 60's. Are they storing it in some hidden location?
I must be missing something here. Yeah, I remember sweeping compound. Light green, and the janitor used it when someone puked on the floor in school. Dump some over it, sweep the whole mess up. I've seen fine sawdust used the same way.
I don't see what the problem would be using a broom and dustpan on scraper shavings. But, if so, I'd dump some sawdust down, and sweep the whole thing up. And, we are talking about being in the shop, right? So, what's to sweat?
Maybe you want to consider one of those little hand-held battery powerd vacuums. Me, if the broom and dustpan doesn't get it, it stays where it is until next time.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 21:30:50 -0600, "Dustmaker"

They found that they could triple the price for it if they relabeled it "New, IMPROVED, Dustless Kitty Litter".
---------------------------------------------------------------------- * Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy * --Noah * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't you always have to leave a little bit of dust for "seed"?

I found it at the orange Borg a few years back in a 10# or so container (not the bigger commercial cardboard drum size:(.

I make a substitute by putting jointer or planer shavings in a garbage bag, adding a gallon or two of water and then turning it every which way to distribute the water.Let it sit overnight or so, until the water is all absorbed more or less evenly. It picks more dust off the floor to begin with, stops it from becoming airborn, makes sweeping faster and helps to show where you have allready swept.

IIRC a lot of them got pulled for environmental concerns (used oil don'ch know) a quick search of the one I get at my local CTC turns up this...
Dustban
Nalco Chemical Co. 1 Nalco Center Naperville, Illinois 60566 312/961-9500
Menard's has it.

remembered we

simply
it
know)
Around here the local ace hardware carries it. Don't know if it has oil in it or not. Larry.

Was not aware it could be bought.
We made it. Saved sawdust and added some kerosene, and mixed it well. That was all I knew.
Bill Houdek