What else can they stick a laser on?

like it could be useful for doing freehand routing of signs.

RicodJour

They could make it automatic, and I'd still miss the mark.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

I'd really like a laser on my Shop-Vac.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Hmmmmm... that gave me an idea, so I rushed out to the garage and got right to work. FreA fresh roll of duct tape, my my dial indicator in hand, and a spare broom handle that I keep around just in case the handle on my shop broom ever breaks, and a few minutes of my time was all it took.

I took the laser head off an old CD ROM unit, duct taped it to the broom handle (very rprecisely) - ensureing ing an even layer of duct tape , precise to within .00000001", and then cut a dutchman in thee end of the handle. After cutting a matching dutchman int tI then cut the hanld offdle off my shop broom exactly 6" up from the threaded end. I wish I had a starlett (or whatever it is...) steel rule to have made sure I was exactly at 6", but I don't own one soe I had to rely on a simple steel tape rule. I cut a matching duunscrewed the stub from the broom head, cut a matching dutchman in the cut off end of it, and then cut biscuits in both cutdutchmans just for good measure. Using some Tightbond VII and some borigorilla bluglue, I put the two pieces together and clamped them with 17 bar clamps. Then I mounted a 12V battery that my son had conveniently left of then the fshop floor (afterwinterizing his boat) on the broom to power the laser. Of course, I plan to eventually replace this with a ))0000 run of of 220V pwer from my subpanel once I get it soldered into place., so the batter is only temporary. Maybe some of the guys can give me some advice on soldering up that 220V pigtail.

Should I go with 50 feet or more? Or less? What color should I use? ShAre twist locks really necessary?

Either way - I now have the most accurate shop broom on the street. When my neighbors see this tyhey are going to want one of thieeir own - or to borrow mine. But... I don't lend out my stuff...

I'm also thinking of re-einforcing the dutchman with a handful of McNealry, or McFealy, or whatever they are, fasteners. I don't know what to do though - should I pre-drill them on my 17" floor model drill press or should I go out and buy a table top drill press? Harbor Freight, or Grizz? UPS or USPS?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks for the laugh.. but, but, but what did a Dutchman ever do to you?

Robatoy

Oops - had to clean up some stuff - long story...

Hmmmmm... that gave me an idea, so I rushed out to the garage and got right to work. Fresh roll of duct tape, my dial indicator in hand, and a spare broom handle that I keep around just in case the handle on my shop broom ever breaks, and a few minutes of my time was all it took.

I took the laser head off an old CDROM unit, duct taped it to the broom handle (very precisely) - ensureinging an even layer of duct tape, precise to within .00000001", and then cut a dutchman in the end of the handle. Afterwards I cut the handle off of my shop broom exactly 6" up from the threaded end. (I wish I had a starlett (or whatever it is...) steel rule to have made sure I was exactly at 6", but I don't own one so I had to rely on a simple steel tape rule). I unscrewed the stub from the broom head, cut a matching dutchman in the cut off end of it, and then cut biscuits in both dutchmans just for good measure. Using some Tightbond VII and some gorilla glue, I put the two pieces together and clamped them with 17 bar clamps. Then I mounted a 12V battery that my son had conveniently left of then the shop floor (after winterizing his boat) on the broom to power the laser. Of course, I plan to eventually replace this with a 0000 run of of 220V power from my sub panel once I get it soldered into place, so the batter is only temporary. Maybe some of the guys can give me some advice on soldering up that 220V pigtail.

Should I go with 50 feet or more? Or less? What color should I use? Are twist locks really necessary?

Either way - I now have the most accurate shop broom on the street. When my neighbors see this they are going to want one of their own - or to borrow mine. But... I don't lend out my stuff...

I'm also thinking of re-enforcing the dutchman with a handful of McNealry, or McFealy, or whatever they are, fasteners. I don't know what to do though - should I pre-drill them on my 17" floor model drill press or should I go out and buy a table top drill press? Harbor Freight, or Grizz? UPS or USPS?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Was the 4/0 stranded or solid?

Reply to
B A R R Y

You stole my idea. :)

Reply to
George Max

Not if you didn't purchase that broom stock previously jointed.

Reply to
Swingman

:-)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

If you guys need a laser to find THAT, you've been on the computer too long.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I'd like to see sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads.

Austin P.

Reply to
upand_at_them

:)

Reply to
Prometheus

How about this:

rtandems

It's only a matter of time until some SWMBO comes up with a laser attachment to keep fellas from missing the toilet bowl. :-)

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

cutter. NOT two dollar scissors with a funny little light built into it.

My wife is a quilter. She would take one look at this thing, pronounce it junk, and toss it into the circular file.

Real sewing/quilting scissors approach what we pay for some serious bench tools.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thanks for the mental image. "I am Ron Jeremy of Borg. Resistance is Futile."

brian

Reply to
brianlanning