What dust collectors are really for

Page 2 of 3
Swingman wrote:

I'll tell SWMBO to return my nose hair trimmer thingie then. :)

Damn straight, but don't tell my boy that. He's trying really hard to live down his nickname. Use your imagination.
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:07:05 -0500, Silvan

That's a side effect from the combination of poly and pineywood. It causes a slow and painful death.
Yes, keep your nose hairs. The cilia drip (with snot in the nose and something similar in the lungs) to catch the little airborne particles much like dust filters. You "empty the cannister" by using Kleenex.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh. Is it too late to quit? :)

Well, they used to. My cilia are probably all gone now.
I didn't get the girl I was trying to impress when I started smoking these goddamn things either.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:03:57 -0500, Silvan

It's NEVER too late to quit.

What were you snortin', -lit- black powder?

So quit those, too. It's not nearly as hard as you think when you realize it's simply a decision you make. All your non-smoking friends will love you for it. You won't smell lke a dirty ashtray all the time any more. It's all up to you.
I gave the dentist my Lee Valley shopping money today. Unless Robin changes his mind about the Christmas present, I won't be getting that sweet little Veritas #93 knockoff. 3 fillings cost $403. <thud>
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, I'm still not quitting... Show me something better than poly to put on walking sticks that regularly get poked into sucking, foot-deep mud. Show me something better than pineywood for making cheapo throwaway stuff, like those catapult kits I'm making for the Cub Scouts... Everything has a place.

I don't have any friends, smoking or otherwise. I haven't had any in years.
I do need to quit sooner rather than later, but it sure is easy to keep smoking. I guess I'm waiting for the feds to just ban the goddamn things once and for all.

$403? I'm not sure if I should be floored by that or not. I'm fortunate to have good dental insurance through SWMBO's job. It covers quite a lot.
Reminds me, I need to re-schedule my cleaning. Having to schedule an appointment 6-8 months in advance when you don't even know where you will be two days from now sure is a bitch. I missed every appointment and every rescheduled, rescheduled, rescheduled appointment this year, and never got either of my cleanings.
Why the hell can't dentists be open on Saturday anyway? I'm always off on Saturday.
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:48:53 -0500, Silvan

Walking sticks which are covered in poly DESERVE to be stuck into foot-deep mud, sir. And make that 'horizontally', please.

Never happen. They'd lose votes if they stopped propping up the tobacco states while semi-banning them, taxing them, etc.

Insurance? What's that?
The crown was about a grand all told. Yesterday's fee was for 3 small bits of plastic composite for holy teeth. (See, I'm not _entirely_ without religion.) The trips to Eugene were the hard part, several hours of travel up and down couple-thousand foot tall peaks each way, sucking up several tanks of gas each time.

Ah, so you're that guy the songwriter was talking about when he said "...kick old Mr. green teeth in the knee...", eh?

Schedule for 7am. Then they (usually) can't make you wait for hours in the office waiting room behind 6 late clients and 4 drop-ins. BTW, many dentists are open for cleanings on weekends and evenings. Check around and don't feel that ou have to stick with the dental assistant in your dentist's office. It can get really expensive missing several cleanings and inspections in a row as any decay grows. DAMHIKT. (2yrs)
And I keep forgetting to ask the dentist if he has any old burrs. They work great for wood even if he doesn't think they're good for teeth (bone) any more. <--obww
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

rip
haven't priced partials or plates yet, have you? it's lots cheaper in the long run to root canal/crown than pull and have to have a partial. damhikt.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Well, depends on the tooth. The ones I have which are most likely to need such treatment are all molars. I have one particularly nasty one that's about 2/3 amalgam, and when that goes, I'm just going to get rid of it.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:12:07 -0500, Silvan

HELL no. It's tung oil and varnish, silly savage.

Verily!
You need a better dentist/assistant, sir.
========================================================= Save the + http://www.diversify.com Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming =========================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I see you don't have an acerbic comeback for *that* one.

Why would I want to varnish my tongue?
(I will say one thing. I just got done playing a game of chess with my boy, using my original stained pineywood and poly box. (He won. The force is strong in that one, Obi Wan.) This thing has been finished for months now, and it *stinks*. Bleah. It smells like mineral spirits and chemical glop even now. I guess shellac has really spoiled me.)

I dunno, I think today's dentistry professionals are *all* people who decided to enter the field after watching "Little Shop of Horrors."
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:51:39 -0500, Silvan

Had I seen it before now, I probably would have. Mustamistit.

Wemembew, it's "tounge" hewe on the Weck.

So REPENT, sinner!

I once had a physical therapist named "Mark". I nicknamed him "Marquis" and once reminded him that my fist was within arm's reach of his crotch should he decide to live up to his name too thoroughly. We'd trade pain if he liked. Oddly enough, he never hurt me (very much) again. ;)
========================================================= Save the + http://www.diversify.com Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming =========================================================
: So far as I know, it's the really small shit that's gonna kill you,
Right.
: and dust collectors don't do anything about that.
Wrong.
    -- Andy Barss
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:57:57 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

My understanding is that the greatest hazards are posed by particulates in the sub micron range and that filter media cannot achieve this level of filtration (while still maintaining adequate cfm rates) without having excessively large surface areas. It would seem to me that the dust collector is not geared to handle the most highly offensive particles and that these would more properly be dealt with via an air purifier.
That said, once we go below a micron, we are verging on the area of Angelology (which most find to be a discredited area of study) as we are trying to make our shop air cleaner than the environment that contains it.

actually the smaller the micron the filter filters at the more air it lets through. for the same area there is actually more airflow then a larger micron filter.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
: My understanding is that the greatest hazards are posed by : particulates in the sub micron range and that filter media cannot : achieve this level of filtration (while still maintaining adequate : cfm rates) without having excessively large surface areas. It would : seem to me that the dust collector is not geared to handle the most : highly offensive particles and that these would more properly be dealt : with via an air purifier.
The canister filters sold by e.g., Oneida are rated to filter out 99.9% of particles in the .2 micron to 2 micron range. This may not get 'em all, but that's a lot of fine particles that don't go near one's lungs.
By 'air purifier', do you mean the box style that hangs from the ceiling, or the positive-flow air filters like the 3M Airmate?
    -- Andy Barss
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:23:29 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

Of the fine dust they collect. Some of the fine dust dosen't end up down the chute. On some tools, like table saws with a zero clearance insert, chop saws, and many routers, MOST of the dust is uncollected.
Air cleaners and respirators do a much better job of protecting from this stuff.
Barry

it does on mine. I have a overhead arm guard that I rigged with a 4" hose. the only time sawdust gets out is when I trim the edge off a 2/5" wide board. with a little effort I can stop that. with my scoop on my SCMS I have little if any fine dust escape but when I do a trim cut with the blade one side of the wood at 45 degrees.

air cleaners do very little. respirators work but I sure don't want to wear one all day long. with some work and the right cyclone you can be almost dust free. seldom are my boogers black anymore.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I have a 1 micron semi-truck filter on the discharge,works good, I guess it all comes down to what you want to spend for your health. Dave

they can do it if setup right.

depends on the machine. a bag system yes. a good cyclone with a .3 micron filter will keep that fine dust out of the air.

really?
that's why you want a fine micron filter it lets more air pass.

You can't get everything true. but with some effort you can get almost all of it. it takes a great setup and sometimes machine modification. but I now have very little sawdust (the really fine stuff) getting loose in my shop. it took a lot of work and some money but my cyclone does a fantastic job.

want to see the fine dust my system collects? sawdust so fine it floats like a cloud of smoke that tropicals make. as far as i can tell no sawdust gets past my filter.s very little gets past the dc intake on each machine. I would like that part to be a bit better but it is the hardest part to accomplish. I don't want to wear a mask all day long.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Exactly, all this crap about dust so small we can't even see it. It's just like the scare tactics we hear about cigarette smoke - causes cancer, yeah right. I worked with a guy that smoked at least 1-2 packs a day for over 40 years with no problem. Since it didn't kill him that's proof it's all just bullshit made up by the nicotine patch/gum people. Another example is there were a lot of guys working in dirty/dusty coal mines that never got black lung disease so that was another fictitious story.