What Does Melamine Edging Tape Contain?

Hello,

I would like to find out what pre-glued melamine edging tape contains. In particular does it include melamine, or is it simply designed to match melamine?

My potential application is a little unusual. I wish to supply a bath safety rail to a customer, however the manufacturer does not protect a swinging bolt for shipping, and each enameled steel rail has an approximately 0.5x0.5" patch of lightly chipped enamel on an inside surface where the bolt strikes during transit. I would like to neatly cover this portion in a lasting manner and am considering stainless steel tape, and melamine edging tape, perhaps with epoxy glue. The tape must conform to a 1" diameter cyclinder.

If I use a a heat sensitive glue tape the heat dissipation of the enameled steel rail may be a problem. I am looking for long lifetime, no mildew problem etc.

Thank you,

D.Hughes

Reply to
DH

Iron on Melamine tape is made of melamine with a heat sensitive adhesive on the back side. That said, there are many tapes that are made of PVC also.

The tape adheres rather quickly. I use my wife's iron on the cotton setting to heat the tape while it is on the surface that it will be attached to. 3 or 4 seconds is all about all the time you need. That said, and something you may want to look into. My wife is a quilter and on some projects has to use a special Teflon barrier between her iron and the material. This Teflon sheet barrier is about 18" square and prevents the iron fron scorching the material. I use it also between the iron and the Melamine.

Reply to
Leon

I don't think melamine tape will hold up in the long term. there are different kinds- most of them are vinyl- and all are made to adhere to flat surfaces in dry applications.

the chip is the manufacturer's problem. make them supply you with an un-chipped item.

Reply to
bridgerfafc