What Does It Take?

Other than good woodworking skills, what do you think it takes to start a small successful woodworking business?

Reply to
Fab

One of the most important things is to have a clear understanding of what you're delivering, before work starts. Nothing eats up time and money faster than having the customer say "No, wait! That's not what I wanted!".

Reply to
Tim and Steph

Money..............

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

Lots of paying customers, people skills, long hours, cheap materials, perseverance, and business acumen. You'll need to hire others in order to make truly big bucks. Then all your woodworking skills become less of a factor than you'd expect.

Dave

Fab wrote:

Reply to
David

One happy customer at the time... one after another.

Reply to
Robatoy

The only right answer! Dave

TeamCasa

Marketing, salesmanship, and accounting.

Marketing because if nobody knows you're in business then you're not, salesmanship because after marketing has brought them to you if you blow the sale you don't get the job, and accounting because if you're spending more than you're taking in then you're going to starve.

If you're no good at that sort of thing then try to partner with someone who is.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A spouse with a good job. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

DON'T REPLY TO THIS ASSHOLE! He is the same spammer that has slammed this group with endless crap about his own way of running a "successful" woodworking business a few months ago. He's just disguised himself. He has never contributed anything to the group, and has just used it to advertise his garbage. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I understand that you can make a small fortune in a woodworking business.

You start with a large fortune.

Walt C.

Reply to
Walt Cheever

Clients willing to pay

Reply to
TaskMule

What are you going to try and sell us now? Since you spammed this group with your apprenticeship and books on having a profitable woodworking business, shouldn't you be the one answering, not asking this question? hmmmmmm. Do you *really* not know what it takes or are you fishing for suckers here? I'd be happy to share my story, but i'm not gonna waste my time if your post is anything less than sincere

Reply to
Eric

Many Thanks to everyone that provided insight and constructive feedback!

Fab

Reply to
Fab