What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

Page 3 of 3

bought oe of their pancake compressors - for a spare, light-duty work at a "second" shop. But would buy a Porter Cable (had for nearly ten years now doing lots of projects without issues) or similar for my first pancake compressor. I had a 30G Craftsman that has lasted twenty years ad still looks new and works just fine. Must admit that I am not a contractor, just a hobbyist.
WARNING, HFT Heat Guns suck. Not only suck air in the rear and blow it out hot from the front as you might expect, but fail with very little use. On my second unit and it hasn't lasted six months! If you do get one, beware teh duty cycle. I suspect it's less than thirty seconds of continuous operating at High Heat setting.
Gooey wrote the following:

I have a more minutes of operation than seconds. Still works.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a spe cial sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and t ried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. The n it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it b ack. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on t he up and up ?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It looks like a direct drive (no belt). Those tend to be very noisy. I had a similar one and it later needed a part. It took 2 months to get it as it had to come from China. Sold it and bought a used belt driven one and have not had any problems with that one.
--
 GW Ross

 Every vision has an equal and

it, maybe for parts.
--
Jeff

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:11:04 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

I bought a similar HF compressor years and years ago. When it arrived the starting capacitor had become disconnected in shipping. Fixed it and the compressor has worked fine every since.
Also, does it has oil?
I am wondering if you guys should just call the OP and see if he is still alive. Responding to posts that are nearly THREE years old aren't always productive use of your time.
Of course, he could still be waiting to hear from you...
Robert

LMAO ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

And probably running out of breath. ;~)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Picked up a case of upstate New York cabin fever Bunky?
Only a couple of more months.
Lew
, > just want to be able to pee out on my front lawn again...
You can now, as long as you don't stand still too long and pee ice cubes!
--
Jim in NC

Ahh, my problem, too!
Look for the silver lining in that dark cloud...
It does warm up your feet! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Take the motor off and see if it runs for 20 minutes w/o a load, the motor might be the problem. If not, then find out what is going on in the compressor section. Take that apart might be a bad ring.. they use rubberized, (silicone o, teflon, or others for rings and that's how they stay oil free. Maybe the ring broke and is binding.
--
Jeff

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:57:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Was there a sign stating that it was as-is? If not, I'd take it back and argue the point. HF is particularly good about returns. If they don't take it back without questions, buck it up the chain.
On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:57:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

too good to be true, it usually is. Deep discounts from their already "discount" prices are almost always "as is".