What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I don't think I want to know what you meant by that.
I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my bag.
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:36:27 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

"Ang and me", and where the -hell- are thos pics? <g>
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Ang and I need to go through and select which pictures are publishable.
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:53:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I want copies of those which AREN'T, got it? <evil grinne>
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen
On 6/11/11 12:45 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You're using paintball guns for your air tools?

No. Weakest link in the chain (hole) breaks first, not the whole chain. The hole blows out the pressure. Worst that can happen is is shoots across the room like a rocket, not an explosion.
--

-MIKE-

Used to do mechanical QA on tubing. We pumped it full of liquid until it burst. One end was fixed and the other plugged and free and the whole mess was in a shrapnel proof cabinet. Goal was to get the burst pressure which, for the stuff we were testing, was in the neighborhood of 35,000 psi. First time I did one I got to 60,000 psi and pinholed. Let it sit for a while dropping, then it stopped around 50,000. Couldn't find the pressure release valve and hunted down the boss. Deal was you took an asbestos glove and wrench, reached in the cabinet and eased off the fixture until the fluid escaped at the fixed end. Told him I didn't sign up for that ...

I am not a big HF fan, but I have had pretty good luck with some of their stuff. I have had one of their $99 special mortise machines for several years. The hold down hardware sucks but the machine has plenty of power and cuts square holes and slots with help of clamps. I have some of their smaller tools that work well. 18 Gage nailer won't wear out -- $20.
No air compressor experience.
Ron
On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:

I have one of their small tire inflators, It normally went for about $29, but was on special for $15. I have been using it for several years now and am completely happy with it. Its volume is good and while I use it principally for my JD garden tractor, I have used it on my van which has 40psi in the tires.
I would recommend it to anyone who asked.
While I have bought other things at HF and never been disappointed, this is the only electrical tool I have.
On 06/10/2011 07:39 PM, k-nuttle wrote:

I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. On sale and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.
<http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html>
Noisy, but works great.
On 06/10/2011 07:53 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html>
That'd be 5th wheel...
Doug Winterburn wrote: <snip>

Would you believe my old brain actually read that as "5th wheel" the first time? I had to go back to see what you were correcting.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I ended up getting one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/parking-lot-sale-6-11-html/2-hp-4-gallon-115-psi-pancake-compressor-95499.html
I got it for $60, so if it lasts a year or two, I have to be ahead of the game. I will be using it to inflate tires and basketballs and such plus a new roof. If it lasts thru the roof, anyways, I will have gotten my money's worth. It is a noisy little bugger but I can deal with it for 60 bucks.
I know it is a Chinese throwaway tool and, yes, it will certainly develop a leak sooner rather than later but I have no fears that it will explode. There is a relief valve and it works just peachy. Why are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never happen? I know the quality is not top notch but if these things failed and actually BLEW UP, then I don't think HF would still be around. Nor would Crapsman or Campbell-Hausfeld or just about any company!
busbus

You mean, like, why the hell do we let TSA get away with their nonsensical empire-building?
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:55:24 -0400, Steve

I think you misspelled "The Government", Steve. And Homeland Security owns the TSA.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
On 2011-06-13 11:26:06 -0400, Larry Jaques

Ok, maybe I was giving TSA too much credit.
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:50:39 -0400, Steve

Some people think giving them _any_ credit would be too much.
-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb
On 6/11/11 10:15 PM, busbus wrote:

Statistically or physically.
--

-MIKE-

busbus wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-21-gallon-120-volt-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html
For a broader view, check out Harbor Freight Reviews (not affiliated with the company).
http://hfreviews.com /
For example, their pancake compressor got a 4-out-of-5 review.
On the other hand, if you buy it and it doesn't meet your expectations, take it back for a full refund. HF has a VERY liberal returns policy.
"busbus" wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things like air compressors.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-21-gallon-120-volt-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html
========= I am thinking this unit looks exactly like the unit I purchased a few years ago under the Campbell and Hausfeld brand name.
The units works well but the noise will drive you out of house and home!! I have the unit in my garage and if it kicks in while in the garage you would jump out of your skin. I am so glad I wear earmuffs while operating my mitre saw when it kicks in or I would probably have cut my hand off by now. I have thought of boxing it in when I move it to a more permanent place and sound insulate the monster. I know my EU2000i Honda Generator will not start it, run it yes but not start it again...big electric surge!
Knowing the noise factor I would look for another unit. Some of the newer pancake units are half the noise and quarter the size.
--
Eric