What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

Page 1 of 3
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things like air compressors.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-21-gallon-120-volt-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html

I have one of their smaller compressors and it works fine for my needs.
You should ask on the Welding Web forum http://weldingweb.com/ where they have branches for "HF tools that don't suck" and "HF tools that suck". There's probably someone there who has used this compressor.
John
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:18:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

I have one of their 47065 (4.65 peak horsies on 120v <giggle>, 21 gallon vertical) compressors and it works fine. 2+ years old, not used a whole lot, doesn't leak much. They're loud but serviceable beasties.
If I had it to do over, I might buy a pump, motor, and tank separately, for improved CFM.
This looks like the same comp, rebadged with TALL AD LETTERING. Same price/capacity.
WOW, HF now has a gasoline powered compressor for $599. http://goo.gl/Tu8u2 Has anyone used one yet?
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Rumor mill says that HF vacuum cleaners are one of the few pieces of power equipment on the _first_ list. *grin*

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-21-gallon-120-volt-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html 150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise (everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my life and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though you won't get the one welded together by the pissed off slave labor. Feeling lucky?
<...snipped...>

Yes, it would be _so_much_better_ to buy one from Campbell Hausfield, Husky, or some other name-brand- ALSO made in China!
To the OP:
I can't speak for that particular compressor but I have used one of their smaller 8 gal horizontal tank models for weekend warrior use for about 6 years now without trouble.

Larry W wrote the following:

I replaced my CH compressor which died, with a HF compressor. I figured the cheaper price offsets the assumed longevity of the more expensive compressors. My CH compressor was only used for topping off tires and pool equipment.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a bomb, huh?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?
Bill

Bill wrote the following:

Chinese stuff is presumed to be crap, like Japanese stuff was in the 50s. Does he know that Japanese products, like US products, have been outsourced to China for years?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I haven't checked the stats, but my SWAG is that 98.99% of tanks develop pinhole leaks which expand, )1% blow at the seams sans shrapnel, and the other 0.01% have pressure relief valves stick (how much overpressure can a cheap pump put out, anyway?) and they actually explode, hurting someone. Here's the nastiest one I could find in ten minutes. <giggle> http://goo.gl/I5ab8
Seam ruptures on a 21 gallon tank put (15psia empty, 150psi full) 210 gallons of air into the shop in a short amount of time, blowing out the windows and making the ears smart a bit, wot?
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
"busbus" wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-21-gallon-120-volt-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html ------------------------------------- Consider it as a throw away.
Anything beyond a year and you are ahead of the game.
Lew
On Jun 11, 1:45am, Larry Jaques

Problem is, that when people try to imagine what an air tank failure would look like, their imaginations become filled with fuel/grenade/ gasoline/actionmoviebullshit type explosions.
The escape of normal (135psig?) air pressure out of a failed metal tank will not be accompanied by a full perimeter failure releasing a rather benign quantity of stored energy. It will release in a fart- like measured amount. It will be a big howling puff, but no bang, and any shit flying will be because of the startle factor, not due to released energy.
For giggles, my mechanic and his friends hooked up a motorcycle inner tube to a 165psig line in a garage and just let it get bigger and bigger. So big in fact that a huge hernia appeared which became almost see-through thin. When it failed, it made a bang, much louder than a balloon, but not mortar launch grade. The flying remnants did knock over a beer, much to the chagrin of one the participants. Yes alcohol was involved. No blown-out windows. The hose-end with the metal nipple did fly around for quite a while till the main valve was shut off.
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:33:52 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

NOW yer snippin'.

Like watching the guy plant a single ounce of C4 with a detanator and then seeing (and hearing) seventeen discrete charges blow up the house, all from 3 angles? Yeah, that's them.

Wow, whose farts make your ears pop? No...I don't want to know. Maybe I _won't_ visit Canada.

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a compressor. But the point is made.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
On Jun 11, 12:14pm, Larry Jaques

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

I HAVE TO learn to check and see who the hell used this laptop last......
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:52:47 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Wait until you see my last reply, suckah! <gd&r>
P.S: ...but if she's up for it... ;)
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:44:59 -0700 (PDT), Angela Sekeris

Hi, Angie. Have Toy take some nice pictures and email 'em, OK? Say, after 2 bars? <wink>
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Weiner style?