What do you use to clean oil off new TS?

I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner, gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.
Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?
If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking of using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.
-Steve
Steve W wrote:

could see a law suit when someone uses gasoline and a little sandpaper to help it along
No offense, but this was recently discussed here.
check here: http://tinyurl.com/lpesk
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Yeesh, same exact question. Sorry. For some reason that thread is not on my news server.
Looks like I need to learn to use Google groups.
Thanks
-Steve

I wouldn't have noticed but it was just last Saturday and I remembered reading some of it.
No need to apologize. I rehash stuff also to get the input of current participants, but this was last Saturday! :)
Here is the whole thing.
I posted the wrong link before.
http://tinyurl.com/qf5p5
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
Steve W wrote:

They're volatile and may damage the paint.
I had reasonable luck with a putty knife and then mineral spirits...was careful not to scrub at the paint too much.
I used a small screwdriver and an old toothbrush to clear the gunk out of the miter slots.
Chris

Both gasoline or acetone/paint thinner can attack inferior quality paints and plastics and turn them into a gooey mess. That'd be one reason not to (apart from the fire thang). That didnt' stop me from using acetone on my bandsaw table last week and it worked fine but I made sure not to get any on the paintwork :-)
I finished the cleaning with air tool oil on a cotton cloth. Basically, if it's a wax that is soluble in kerosene, you will be able to use nearly any light oil: air tool oil, diesel fuel, WD 40 or CRC with varying degrees of speed (the more volatile the liquid, the quicker it will dissolve the wax).
h.t.h., -Peter
Steve W wrote:

You could get a bottle of lamp oil. Try WalMart if there is one near you.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Kerosene is the best. Almost any big box, hardware store, or paint store will have quart cans of it for considerably less than $20. You don't have to buy your own container.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Kerosene container? How about a mason jar?

That is what I suggested. The said they could only legally sell in an authorized container.

Steve W wrote:

That includes the container which is just a plastic jug with a screwcap on it. It sounds like you're in a jurisdiction that has some different kinds of rules, or the store is trying to soak you for a container. I'd try a different place and see if the story is the same.
Kerosene is flammable for sure, but nowhere near as volatile as gas or acetone, and should be more widely available than what you're describing. Maybe a few minutes on the phone calling different suppliers will get you a better kick at it.
Tanus

BTW, WD-40 eventually forms a varnish when it dries.
Coleman camp fuel (white gas) Goop-be-gone Goof off Any auto tar remover (It's mostly keroscene, anyway) Any auto degreaser Carbrator cleaner
Buy several rolls of paper towels.
If it's cosmoline and not oil....Oh, boy, are you in for a fun time. But there's other things that will work, including keroscene. Consider it one of life's learning experiences.
Find a self-serve gas station that sells kerosene. How the hell do they know what kind of container you put it in?
What kind of container costs $20? That sucker must have a real collection of safety stickers on it.
Protection. Johnson's paste wax.

Thanks everyone. That container was $14 at True Value plus the cost of the kerosene. I found a can for $7 at Lowes, so I'm all set.
Kerosene + Johnson's wax it is.
Now to find some shim material...
-Steve

I cleaned it all off with 409 and then put wax on it. Much better idea.
I have good results with WD40. If you let it dry it does make a lovely varnish, but that does take a while.
Somebody mentioned Coleman fuel......Ya might want to pass on that stuff....Take if from an experienced pyro, that's some serious stuff there. It'll flash in a big hurry.
If you ask around somebody you know is bound to have some kero around and will probably part with a pint or so for you.
Good luck!!!
Charcoal starter is essentially kerosene. You can get it by the quart in the local grocery store.
Look back on this board about 10 days ago for same subject. I just got a new Delta and ended up using mineral spirits. Worked fine.
I used a good grade of auto wax for a protective coat and will reapply weekly.
Cap'n 321
Steve W wrote:

Just make sure there's no silicone in that automotive wax.