What do YOU use kerosene for?

Page 4 of 4
Years ago, working for the highway dept. we used it to start brush fires. Poured it in a used tire with some rags then lit it. At times when the fire was sluggish, dumped it right on. Oh, those were tha days. Joe
Bob in Oregon wrote:

Works well in a bale of straw as well, and doesn't piss off the EPA and neighbors.

Kerosene is a petroleum product very similar to jet fuel, diesel fuel, and home heating oil.
I use it to remove cosmoline, heat the shop, degrease bicycle chains and machine parts, lubricate burnishing tools on scrapers, and many other things.
At work, we power our huge emergency diesel generators with it, as it's cleaner burning than diesel. Kerosene produces slightly less power than diesel fuel, and the engines need to be retuned (once) to burn it, but it keeps the EPA and neighbors happy.
I buy it 5 gallons at a time at local gas stations, and at the end of the heating season, I dump the remainder in my home fuel oil tank, a practice endorsed by both my independent burner service dude and my oil provider. Kerosene can go stale in time, making burning it a bit stinky. Fresh fuel burns much cleaner with very little smell.
Water white K1 kerosene is much cleaner burning in stoves and lamps than the dyed version.
Barry
When my grandmother was a kid she used to work summers peeling bark from spruce trees destined for pulp mills. Anyway they used to mix kerosene with bacon fat/grease and rub it on themselves as a mosquitoes/ blackfly repellent.

Bob in Oregon wrote:

Back in the old days on the farm they used it on cuts. You would think it would sting but it really has a soothing warm feel. A couple drops on a spoonful of sugar was used for croup.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Not really that long ago, I remember when I was kid, having a finger dipped in kerosene then I got cut. IIRC the blood would not mix and would glob up.
Bob in Oregon wrote:

One nobody else mentioned. Trumpet valve oil. The clear type. Works, and it's cheap. One big whateversize container of UltraPure is enough to keep the valves on three trumpets humming for years.
Kerosene is a definate cure for head lice. Had to once for my daughter because nothing else was working. Purely safe enough if you are careful. Just do it the same way you do a treatment. Kill lice and eggs instantly.