What do YOU use kerosene for?

Page 1 of 4
I have used kerosene in the past to remove rust from tools. It is also of course used as oil in lanterns. I used it the other day to my surprise to clean some greasy parts up and it worked great. I got to thinking about it and am a little puzzled, since most solvents do not act as oils and vice versa. What exactly is kerosene, and what do you use it for?
According to my Father-ln-Law you can use kerosene for everything. :-)
He cleans tools with it, removes tar with it, removes scuffs on his bumpers with it, takes grass stains off the mower with it......the list goes on. It's kinda like WD40. I'm sure there are folks who rub it on sore joints too.
Refining wise it falls between Gasoline and Lubricating oils on the chart of processing. It's a little cruder than Gas but more refined than your 10W30 Pennzoil.
Oh yeah and it does make starting a fire in the woodstove easier. (NOTE: Even though it burns slower don't over do it here. Remember your eyebrows don't do much but just burn em off once and see how many people notice)

The FUNNIEST line I've read here in years.
-- LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
bremen68 wrote:

It would be, WD40 is part kero...
Wrong.

CW wrote:

bremen68 wrote:

Many old almanacs, etc., tout it as at least an ingredient in many nostrums/elixirs.
... snip

Ummm, would there be a *reason* you know all this detailed information? [just askin'] :-)
"Bob in Oregon"

I can't answer your questions but want to point out that NOTHING stinks worse than OLD kerosene--as in a lamp.
Long story short, we had a lamp on the mantle for about five years. Thought the (slight) stink was from soil/plants or insulation in old house. Moved. Stink followed. Finally discovered stink coming out of tall lamp chimney. Wife dumped it out onto paper towels to dispose of it. I couldn't breathe. Had to leave the house. Took three days to air out the house.
-Doug
<I can't answer your questions but want to point out that NOTHING stinks worse than OLD kerosene--as in a lamp. <
Obviously, you've never experienced that heady elixir known as Pyridine.
Now THAT'S a stench !
Gus
IIRC, DiMethyl Mercaptan - lovingly called "essence of skunk". Used for many years in the rocketfuel industry to odorize dangerous chemicals. There was one, called a boron hydride that you couldn't smell until it got to around 20 parts per million. Problem was that it was fatal at 10ppm. Used Pyridine to odorize it.
Ah lots of fond memories about pranks using pyridine and $100K worth of special glass filters used just to make coffee in the lab.
God bless the Polaris missile - paid for a lot of toys.

Here in the UK pyridine is used to make denatured alcohol smell too bad to drink. This is a real drawback when working with shellac!
I am allergic to kerosene. Can not be in a house heated with it.
-Dan V.
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:48:15 -0700, "bole2cant"

Jet fuel...no, really.

Kerosene can be used in solution with water and applied with newspaper to clean windows (on the outside, of course). As a lubricant for clockworks (non-digital), put some on a feather to oil the spring-driven mechanisms and gears. There are camping lanterns and backpacking stoves that run on kerosene. A bit harder to start, but safer than some other liquid fuels. Somewhat more expensive, however and not quite as available as unleaded gasoline.
| Kerosene can be used in solution with water and applied with newspaper | to clean windows (on the outside, of course). | As a lubricant for clockworks (non-digital), put some on a feather to | oil the spring-driven mechanisms and gears. | There are camping lanterns and backpacking stoves that run on kerosene. | A bit harder to start, but safer than some other liquid fuels. Somewhat | more expensive, however and not quite as available as unleaded gasoline. |
Don't forget, kerosene is very effective when using it to wash one's hair.
Kills lice and nits dead.
--
PDQ

It won't be a solution. At best it would be an emulsion, but, the real reason for my post...

Clarify where you're putting that oil. Do NOT apply it to the teeth of the gears. At most apply it to the bearings of the gears. Putting it on the teeth assures a gathering of dust and subsequent grinding, er, uh, of teeth.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
IBM5081 wrote:

Are you thinking of stoves that run only on kerosene or of the multifuel stoves that run on just about anything that will flow through a pipe and burn?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

#1 diesel fuel.