What do you think of this air compressor?

To keep a TR2 spotless he must have washed it twice a day-----------

Reply to
clare

----------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------- "Sw> Yep ... the kind of self reliant individual who can take scavenged

-------------------------------------------------- Poor baby, tummy feel all better now?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Regardless the cord looks to be in pretty good shape, it was probably adequate.

Reply to
Leon

That we don't live in Kalifornicate? You bet!

Reply to
krw

Your eyes are a lot better than mine.

Reply to
krw

Say what you want, but that does not make it so. As I said. we don't know for sure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My dad had one of these types although it was just a motor, compressor and a tank. Used it for years in his workshop. Moved it to all over the community in AL we lived in and it made moves to CA and NM.

I trashed it when he died in 1998 because I didn't trust the tank and I had a better compressor of my own.

Reply to
athiker

I just heard back the kind gentleman who posted the ad as follows. I edited it slightly to help protect the privacy of anyone concerned.

The person who built this compressor was my stepfather, who passed in

1991. He was born in xxxx in 1933, and a 1951 graduate of (a local) High School. He was a transmission builder for Allison for 30 years, and worked on the Abrams tank shortly before his retirement. He was a Freemason and sheriff's deputy in xxx County, and lived most of his life in xxx, where he rests today. He indeed had a way with "getting things done", which I carry on to this day. He and I dug and poured the foundation for this house together, and over the years added rooms and improvements and various do-it-yourself activities. He was active along with my older stepbrother in the development of one of the first hydrostats for zero-turn lawnmowers, which was sold to Art Evans of Dixie Chopper before they grew into the larger company they became. Indeed, an interesting man, and the compressor was one of his many cobbled-together inventions that got the job done without heading to Lowe's with a credit card in hand.

So. I was wrong in my guess that he was a farmer, but I thought his choice of words--"cobbled-together" reminded me of those that Swingman used. I did not use that phrase in my note to him. Who say's you can't find interesting things on Craigslist?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

This guy appears to have been better educated, with his HS degree, than most college graduates today ... and a damned sight more useful to himself, and the world around him, by not being totally reliant on someone else's labors.

While understandable that modern conveniences and culture puts pay to much of the necessity for this type of self reliance, it is remarkable and sad, when viewed with an age based perspective, to look around and see so little of that, which was instrumental in making this country exceptional, exhibited in today's culture.

Thanks for the follow up.

Reply to
Swingman

You're welcome. I think it is satisfying. Thank you for your reply. I will include your comment (as "a friend's comment") in my e-mail reply to him.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Swingman wrote: { This guy appears to have been better educated, with his HS degree, than most college graduates today ... and a damned sight more useful to himself, and the world around him, by not being totally reliant on someone else's labors.

While understandable that modern conveniences and culture puts pay to much of the necessity for this type of self reliance, it is remarkable and sad, when viewed with an age based perspective, to look around and see so little of that, which was instrumental in making this country exceptional, exhibited in today's culture.

Reply to
Bill

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Yep, I'm pretty handy around a car or other machine, and somehow managed to pass this down to my daughter, and am now teaching her hubby. My girl never really worked with me on stuff except for a few minutes when I needed an extra hand, but when she passed by I always took the time to explain what was wrong, how I figured it out and how I would fix it. It turned out that she was listening. When she took the ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery) She had the highest score in her school on the mechanics section, including in beating out the scores of all the gearhead boys in her class!

Reply to
Morgans

YOU WON'T.. that goes against business. If you make it yourself it's depriving a company and ceo from profits, his bonus.

Reply to
woodchucker