What do you think of this air compressor?

Page 2 of 2
On 2/1/2014 11:26 PM, Bill wrote:

Ridiculous.
The electrical cord was lamp cord. That's a rube goldberg and needs a lot of work.
--
Jeff

On 2/2/2014 9:50 AM, woodchucker wrote:

It was a refrigerator compressor. It ran on lampcord for years, just like the one in your house. assuming, of course, you have a refrigerator.
On 2/2/2014 12:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Don't know about you, but my refrig used a heavier cord, In the days of my childhood it used a heavier cord.
More like 16 or 14 gauge, not 18 gauge.
--
Jeff

On 2/2/2014 12:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Looks like at least 16 gauge to me, baybe 14. Neither of us knows for sure, but evidently it worked.
On 2/2/2014 2:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I would say that's 18 gauge.
--
Jeff

On 2/2/2014 1:37 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Regardless the cord looks to be in pretty good shape, it was probably adequate.

Your eyes are a lot better than mine.
On 2/2/2014 2:37 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Say what you want, but that does not make it so. As I said. we don't know for sure.
On 2/2/2014 11:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hope that you're posting tongue in cheek, Ed. That ain't no household refrigerator compressor and, even if it was, it would have something heavier than zip cord.
Who knows what sized motor it had on it when it WAS used as a refrigerator (probably a large store unit) but even the motor on it now is likely to require a 14 or 12 ga electrical cord.
More power if the guy gets his $75 but then there IS a sucker born every minute.<G>
Bill wrote:

He better get a patent on that real quick. I see a Campbell Hausfeld box looking on in the background.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Back in the late fifties, a neighborhood kid made a compressor out of an ol d refrigerator and a tank. He primarily used to spray his auto engine with Lestoil - and then hose it down. Many of the neighborhood youngsters clean their motors. It left everything spotless.
My brother took his TR-2 in for work, and the mechanic was amazed. He'd nev er seen an engine so clean.
So, if you have an old TR-2, think about buying this .....
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 13:17:10 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

To keep a TR2 spotless he must have washed it twice a day-----------

My dad had one of these types although it was just a motor, compressor and a tank. Used it for years in his workshop. Moved it to all over the community in AL we lived in and it made moves to CA and NM.
I trashed it when he died in 1998 because I didn't trust the tank and I had a better compressor of my own.