What do you think of this air compressor?

I don't want to buy it, I'm just curious (and thought you might enjoy seeing it):

Bill

----------------------------------------------- Takes all kinds.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Looks like a "rough and ready" build. I've seen worse - but I've seen a LOT better. It's realistically a 35 dollar piece on a good day. (around here anyway)

Reply to
clare

$75, $35, give it some more time and maybe he will pay that for someone to take it away.

Reply to
none

How much "capacity" do you think it has? I mean, seeing as it was designed for a refrigerator. I assume it doesn't use oil but also doesn't have a dual-regulator. How much pressure is a refrigerator compressor designed to create? I find it a real curious piece! ; )

Reply to
Bill

That old compressor may run another 50 years. Had an almost identical one on an old AC system in a studio years ago and got plenty of practice keeping it running. Unlike current many modern style compressors, those are definitely, and easily, reparable.

Reply to
Swingman

$75 and he is not sure it still works? I'd pay maybe $5 after I saw it hit 100 psi

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ridiculous.

The electrical cord was lamp cord. That's a rube goldberg and needs a lot of work.

Reply to
woodchucker

He better get a patent on that real quick. I see a Campbell Hausfeld box looking on in the background.

Reply to
willshak

It was a refrigerator compressor. It ran on lampcord for years, just like the one in your house. assuming, of course, you have a refrigerator.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't know about you, but my refrig used a heavier cord, In the days of my childhood it used a heavier cord.

More like 16 or 14 gauge, not 18 gauge.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep ... the kind of self reliant individual who can take scavenged and leftover parts that still work, add some ingenuity, and recycle them into something obviously useful, used quite likely in earning their daily bread bread. Whereas the current crop of urban cool/pavement traveling fauna would starve to death if they couldn't buy their food wrapped in saran wrap while they waited on the government to bail them out.

Of course, in this day and age, CA will have outlawed it, sent a SWAT team to protect the folks from themselves, and killed the family dog in the process.

Reply to
Swingman

They use oil - and they quite readilly put out 120psi. We had one at our old car club when I was a youngster. 3HP electric motor, an old refrig compressot, and the fuel tank off a semi. Coiuld paint a car with it (with a good air /oil separator) and ran a small sand blater as well as any air tools we had.

Reply to
clare

I hope that you're posting tongue in cheek, Ed. That ain't no household refrigerator compressor and, even if it was, it would have something heavier than zip cord.

Who knows what sized motor it had on it when it WAS used as a refrigerator (probably a large store unit) but even the motor on it now is likely to require a 14 or 12 ga electrical cord.

More power if the guy gets his $75 but then there IS a sucker born every minute.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Looks like at least 16 gauge to me, baybe 14. Neither of us knows for sure, but evidently it worked.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I wouldn't have mind meeting the fellow who built it either. That's what this was really about, "the man" more than "the machine". We could email the seller and ask for information about the man who built it and what he used it for. Imagine...a dozen requests...it reminds me of an Arlo Guthrie song that they play on Thanksgiving...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I would say that's 18 gauge.

Reply to
woodchucker

I just wrote the seller a thoughtful note reflecting some of what you wrote above--the ingenuity and "get things done" spirit that the "compressor builder" surely had, requesting more information about the compressor builder. I'll provide an update if he gets back to me. My bet would go on the outcome that says he was a "FARMER"!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bless your heart, Bubba ... to me just the sight of that thing brought back memories of a youth spent in a culture of self sufficiency and self reliance, where you wasted nothing, lived and took care of your own by your wits, hard work, and common sense.

Judging by the whining, crying BS we saw recently during last weeks 1" of snow, we've come a long way ... all down.

Good to see someone recognize the spirit behind what that contraption represented. You seem to be in a minority. My hats off to you!

Reply to
Swingman

Back in the late fifties, a neighborhood kid made a compressor out of an ol d refrigerator and a tank. He primarily used to spray his auto engine with Lestoil - and then hose it down. Many of the neighborhood youngsters clean their motors. It left everything spotless.

My brother took his TR-2 in for work, and the mechanic was amazed. He'd nev er seen an engine so clean.

So, if you have an old TR-2, think about buying this .....

Reply to
joeljcarver