What do you think of this air compressor?

Page 1 of 2
I don't want to buy it, I'm just curious (and thought you might enjoy seeing it):
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/4301941733.html
"Bill" wrote:

Takes all kinds.
Lew
On 2/1/2014 11:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep ... the kind of self reliant individual who can take scavenged and leftover parts that still work, add some ingenuity, and recycle them into something obviously useful, used quite likely in earning their daily bread bread. Whereas the current crop of urban cool/pavement traveling fauna would starve to death if they couldn't buy their food wrapped in saran wrap while they waited on the government to bail them out.
Of course, in this day and age, CA will have outlawed it, sent a SWAT team to protect the folks from themselves, and killed the family dog in the process.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

Yes, I wouldn't have mind meeting the fellow who built it either. That's what this was really about, "the man" more than "the machine". We could email the seller and ask for information about the man who built it and what he used it for. Imagine...a dozen requests...it reminds me of an Arlo Guthrie song that they play on Thanksgiving...
Bill
Swingman wrote:

I just wrote the seller a thoughtful note reflecting some of what you wrote above--the ingenuity and "get things done" spirit that the "compressor builder" surely had, requesting more information about the compressor builder. I'll provide an update if he gets back to me. My bet would go on the outcome that says he was a "FARMER"!
Bill
On 2/2/2014 1:54 PM, Bill wrote:

Bless your heart, Bubba ... to me just the sight of that thing brought back memories of a youth spent in a culture of self sufficiency and self reliance, where you wasted nothing, lived and took care of your own by your wits, hard work, and common sense.
Judging by the whining, crying BS we saw recently during last weeks 1" of snow, we've come a long way ... all down.
Good to see someone recognize the spirit behind what that contraption represented. You seem to be in a minority. My hats off to you!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Bill wrote:

edited it slightly to help protect the privacy of anyone concerned.
The person who built this compressor was my stepfather, who passed in 1991. He was born in xxxx in 1933, and a 1951 graduate of (a local) High School. He was a transmission builder for Allison for 30 years, and worked on the Abrams tank shortly before his retirement. He was a Freemason and sheriff's deputy in xxx County, and lived most of his life in xxx, where he rests today. He indeed had a way with "getting things done", which I carry on to this day. He and I dug and poured the foundation for this house together, and over the years added rooms and improvements and various do-it-yourself activities. He was active along with my older stepbrother in the development of one of the first hydrostats for zero-turn lawnmowers, which was sold to Art Evans of Dixie Chopper before they grew into the larger company they became. Indeed, an interesting man, and the compressor was one of his many cobbled-together inventions that got the job done without heading to Lowe's with a credit card in hand.
So. I was wrong in my guess that he was a farmer, but I thought his choice of words--"cobbled-together" reminded me of those that Swingman used. I did not use that phrase in my note to him. Who say's you can't find interesting things on Craigslist?
Bill
On 2/9/2014 12:49 AM, Bill wrote:

This guy appears to have been better educated, with his HS degree, than most college graduates today ... and a damned sight more useful to himself, and the world around him, by not being totally reliant on someone else's labors.
While understandable that modern conveniences and culture puts pay to much of the necessity for this type of self reliance, it is remarkable and sad, when viewed with an age based perspective, to look around and see so little of that, which was instrumental in making this country exceptional, exhibited in today's culture.
</rant> Thanks for the follow up.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

You're welcome. I think it is satisfying. Thank you for your reply. I will include your comment (as "a friend's comment") in my e-mail reply to him.
Bill
Swingman wrote: { This guy appears to have been better educated, with his HS degree, than most college graduates today ... and a damned sight more useful to himself, and the world around him, by not being totally reliant on someone else's labors.
While understandable that modern conveniences and culture puts pay to much of the necessity for this type of self reliance, it is remarkable and sad, when viewed with an age based perspective, to look around and see so little of that, which was instrumental in making this country exceptional, exhibited in today's culture.
<man, that's beautiful!>
}
I don't consider that a rant! I want to hear remarks like that broadcast on TV, and in the newspaper (or smart phone--lol)!
Though I don't have exactly the same "perspective" that you have. I have some experience with what you are talking about from my own experience and from conversations I have had with others who I could practically count as relatives (though they aren't really).
I think you've put your finger on some of motivations that make me a multi-year subscriber to rec.woodworking.
I really enjoyed reading Mike Marlow's reply to your post too! "You go, girl!!!" : )
Bill
On 2/9/2014 8:57 PM, Bill wrote:

depriving a company and ceo from profits, his bonus.

--
Jeff

Yep, I'm pretty handy around a car or other machine, and somehow managed to pass this down to my daughter, and am now teaching her hubby. My girl never really worked with me on stuff except for a few minutes when I needed an extra hand, but when she passed by I always took the time to explain what was wrong, how I figured it out and how I would fix it. It turned out that she was listening. When she took the ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery) She had the highest score in her school on the mechanics section, including in beating out the scores of all the gearhead boys in her class!
--
Jim in NC

"Bill" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Poor baby, tummy feel all better now?
Lew
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 14:06:31 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

That we don't live in Kalifornicate? You bet!

Looks like a "rough and ready" build. I've seen worse - but I've seen a LOT better. It's realistically a 35 dollar piece on a good day. (around here anyway)
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 00:41:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

$75, $35, give it some more time and maybe he will pay that for someone to take it away.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How much "capacity" do you think it has? I mean, seeing as it was designed for a refrigerator. I assume it doesn't use oil but also doesn't have a dual-regulator. How much pressure is a refrigerator compressor designed to create? I find it a real curious piece! ; )

That old compressor may run another 50 years. Had an almost identical one on an old AC system in a studio years ago and got plenty of practice keeping it running. Unlike current many modern style compressors, those are definitely, and easily, reparable.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

our old car club when I was a youngster. 3HP electric motor, an old refrig compressot, and the fuel tank off a semi. Coiuld paint a car with it (with a good air /oil separator) and ran a small sand blater as well as any air tools we had.
On 2/1/2014 11:26 PM, Bill wrote:

$75 and he is not sure it still works? I'd pay maybe $5 after I saw it hit 100 psi