What do you pay for hardwood?

Hi Guys, Just trying to get an idea what the rest of the country pays for S3S (or S4S) 4/4 Maple with minimal defects. The hardwood dealer by me charges $6.50 Bd/ft on a good day. Most widths are less than 8". I got some from Rockler at their last sale for $2.50 bd/ft which seems like a bargin compared to the hardwood dealer....but for all I know that's what everyone pays on a day to day basis.
I'm also curious about what you guys pay for cherry and hardwood sheet goods. Thanks Mark

The biggest place in Chicago charges $5.29 for 4/4 hard maple surfaced on two sides.
todd
That's roughly what Maple is here in Houston for S2S1E ... deduct about .60 b/f for rough 4/4. Cherry is about the same, and the last 3/4" Oak sheet goods I bought a few months back was around $116/4X8. I buy a good deal of QS white oak and it runs around $5.45 b/f for rough 4/4, and $6.20 for S2S1E.
There are some places that are cheaper, but I find the waste factor and grain is generally better at the places with higher prices. I've gotten some QSWO locally for as little as $2.25 bf, but most of it was unusable with regard to length ... and length is generally more important for my projects than width.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

.60
Geez Swingman, where are you buying? I'm looking at a price sheet that gets passed out to the general public during the summer and 4/4 s3s Hard Maple is going for $4.75 b/f. I get a contractor break on that. Cherry $5.95. Red Oak A-1 VC $58.95 & LC $65.95. White Oak 4/4 $3.75 s3s. Not sure about the QS. This is at HardWood PRODUCTS.
Where are you buying? If I want better with out hunting I go to HardWood Lumber..
Those prices were actually from Hardwood Lumber over in the Heights, and off recent invoices. The plywood was QS, as well as the white oak ... they're damn proud of QS. You must be better looking than me. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

off
Yes, Thanks. I've been to Hardwood Products a few times. I live in West U, which is not that far from Hardwood Lumber if you go straight down Montrose, with no freeway driving with a pile of lumber on top of my old Jeep Cherokee..
Been going to Hardwood Lumber for a good while, and some of my family were doing business with them back when they were "Clarkson's" (IIRC, that was the name back then) ... good guys, good wood, good figure, not so good prices ... but I've gotten what I've paid for there with very little waste, which makes up for the price differential much of the time.
Their dimensioned hardwoods are out of sight, price wise, and not even considered ... except on the rare occasion when you can find that one board with just the right figure and width or length requirement, AND someone else is paying for it.
Nice just look through some of that stuff, though.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
On 28 Oct 2003 09:55:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote:

Check out the following link.
http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSLumberBuyingGuide.html
at the following:
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com /
you can get rough 4/4 hard maple FAS/sel for $4.40/bf up to 10" widths.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:13:25 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
4/4 FAS/sel hit & miss, $2.50/bf or less. 6/4 FAS/sel hit & miss up to 12 ft, $3.70/bf. 4/4 Red Oak FIF W/T, $2.15/bf Free delivery for $350 or more.
There is another family owned lumbaryard (still trying to find the exactly location) up North in KC selling less than the above price.

4/4 hard maple 3.65 bf 6/4 3.65 bf qswo 4/4 3.65bf 4/4 cherry 4.65bf 5/4 4.65bf 4/4 red oak 2.60bf 4/4 white oak 2.16bf All prices are rough FAS

Brian do you have a store name? The Cherry might be worth shipping for me, the same boards are $2.00 more a foot locally.

This is where I buy my wood from. Great people to deal with. I am local, but they do ship. http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic1.html I also recently purchased some log run air dried cherry for $.60/bf from a guy with a bandsaw mill.
Scott www.vmtw.com
too much!
dave
Mark wrote:

hard & soft Maple $1-$1.25/bf Curly Maple ( hard and soft ) $2/bf Walnut $1-$2/bf Cherry $1-$2/bf
All prices are in Canadian $$ :)
--Raj